Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am struggling to sustain myself while keeping on with my studies in my home country I am only able to do one thing (earn the basics to survive or focus on my studies)

Thus I flirt with the idea to work hard and save every penny untill I save up like about 1000 or maybe 2000 pounds and move to the UK (I am an EU citizen)

My plan is to spend 1 year or 2 max if necessary to start a life and make a living with a normal monthly income and a steady roof over my head.

My first goal is to pass ELTS and TOEFL examinations during this first couple of years and then enroll to a university by getting a student loan(for the university fees and the related expenses) and start from scratch (the ELTS and TOEFL are a necessary goal not only for the university I will try to enroll but also for my future plans)

**Which city in the UK would be ideal for my cause?** (it must be a city because I would like to have all the qualities that a life in a city can provide - by ideal city I mean having all the benefits of a big city like stores, being near distance to a big university, many job opportunities, lower rent costs compared to e.g London etc)

Also what should I know or do or be sure that I have already arranged in order to successfully make a living in the UK? (Currently I have just a high-school degree and no past experiences that I could officially prove.. I have passes some mathematics classes and I works as a cadet engineer for 4 months in a cargo ship but thats it.. I know some treats for example I worked as a computer technician, I worked at a call center and at door to door sales jobs etc but I cant prove that on paper)

Or is there no way for someone like me to find a decent job that will be enough to pay rent food and spare some money for ELTS fees basic clothing etc ?

·
Registered
39,104 Posts
Well, the fact you aren't a native English speaker will affect your employability as English teacher, regardless of TOEFL or other qualification (such as UK degree) you may have. You will be better off with government-sponsored scheme for teaching English instead of the private sector, such as the JET programme in Japan (it's quite competitive).
In order to enroll on a degree course, you will need qualifications sufficient to study for a degree in your country, such as the equivalent of A levels, Abitur or Baccalaureate. Plus proficiency in English.
As for your job prospect in UK, without professional qualification, you are looking at entry-level or low-skilled job. You will find something, but the pay is bad and probably not enough to sustain independent living in UK, as housing and living costs are high. There are EU citizens just managing in UK, but they live in a shared room and live pretty much hand-to-mouth. Many of them are now leaving UK because of lower pound and uncertainty over Brexit. Racism is on the rise too.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Maybe you can get in touch with some of the Greek expat community in the UK for some advice and experience? You say that you are struggling to get by in Greece, so you will be no worse off if you give it a try over here! you could look at some of the cities in the north of the UK, where your rent will be cheaper, or some of the coastal cities, like Brighton - where you might get more sun.
You are young, give it a go before Brexit makes it harder!

·
Registered
675 Posts
My first goal is to pass ELTS and TOEFL examinations during this first couple of years and then enroll to a university by getting a student loan(for the university fees and the related expenses) and start from scratch (the ELTS and TOEFL are a necessary goal not only for the university I will try to enroll but also for my future plans)

**Which city in the UK would be ideal for my cause?** (it must be a city because I would like to have all the qualities that a life in a city can provide - by ideal city I mean having all the benefits of a big city like stores, being near distance to a big university, many job opportunities, lower rent costs compared to e.g London etc)
You can move to Scotland where university education is free for Scottish and EU students.

·
Banned
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, the fact you aren't a native English speaker will affect your employability as English teacher, regardless of TOEFL or other qualification (such as UK degree) you may have. You will be better off with government-sponsored scheme for teaching English instead of the private sector, such as the JET programme in Japan (it's quite competitive).
In order to enroll on a degree course, you will need qualifications sufficient to study for a degree in your country, such as the equivalent of A levels, Abitur or Baccalaureate. Plus proficiency in English.
As for your job prospect in UK, without professional qualification, you are looking at entry-level or low-skilled job. You will find something, but the pay is bad and probably not enough to sustain independent living in UK, as housing and living costs are high. There are EU citizens just managing in UK, but they live in a shared room and live pretty much hand-to-mouth. Many of them are now leaving UK because of lower pound and uncertainty over Brexit. Racism is on the rise too.
I don't have any intention to become an English teacher currently I study applied mathematics and I would like to do the same abroad (the IELTS and TOEFL certifications are in my near future goal list mostly for enhancing my English grammar and written skills my verbal skills are already on par with a fluent non native English speaker)

Also I am aware of the enrollment process. I am more than qualified to pursue a degree in mathematics in any university in england what I lack is the funds (which I can subsidise with a student loan) and the English proficiency certification (I already have C1 certification degree from Cambridge but its seems that in academia only IELTS and TOEFL certifications count)

·
Banned
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
living costs are high. There are EU citizens just managing in UK, but they live in a shared room and live pretty much hand-to-mouth. Many of them are now leaving UK because of lower pound and uncertainty over Brexit. Racism is on the rise too.
I was under the impression that the living cost (compared to the average salary ) is high only in metropolitan (so to say) cities like London.. and that smaller cities have much lower cost of living and thats what I am interested in (finding information about which such city would be ideal for person like me)

·
Banned
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Maybe you can get in touch with some of the Greek expat community in the UK for some advice and experience?
well I thought that this kind of person would notice my post here in the expatforum. :)

this is the forum for expats (people from other countries such as Greece) that are living in the UK right?

You say that you are struggling to get by in Greece, so you will be no worse off if you give it a try over here!!
Well unless you elaborate a little more on that I beg to differ!

Here in Greece thw lowest (and also the standard) pay is about 600 euros, a club sandwich costs ~7 to 12 euros a can of cola 330ml about 1 euro a pair of nike sneakers ~80-120 euros for the basic ones the internet connection costs about 25 euros and a small studio rent is about 200 to 300 euros. The unemployment rate is closing to 50% and in other cities but athens you wont see many job listings if any available ... so yea I think that in the UK things would be much better

or some of the coastal cities, like Brighton - where you might get more sun.
You are young, give it a go before Brexit makes it harder!
Well those cities I do have in mind but I know close to nothing about them thats why I opened this thread (like which sites to check for job listings whats the average basic salary and the average rent which city would be closer to a reputable university etc)

·
Registered
39,104 Posts
As for the cost of living, compared to Greece (maybe outside central Athens), it will be more expensive wherever you go. While it's cheaper outside London, so are the wages so you aren't really any better off. And there are more better-paid jobs in London.

You seem to know a great deal about rules and regulations pertaining to UK. Your initial post was quite vague, hence my attempt to answer it was also quite general and non-specific. I find your tone of voice rather arrogant and rude. A few thank-you's won't go amiss.

·
Banned
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As for the cost of living, compared to Greece (maybe outside central Athens), it will be more expensive wherever you go. While it's cheaper outside London, so are the wages so you aren't really any better off. And there are more better-paid jobs in London.

You seem to know a great deal about rules and regulations pertaining to UK. Your initial post was quite vague, hence my attempt to answer it was also quite general and non-specific. I find your tone of voice rather arrogant and rude. A few thank-you's won't go amiss.
I find this really strange, what did I say that gave you the impression that I am rude? As for my so to speak "tone" I really don't know how to have or "change" my tone in a informal post this is my only tone :D and I don't mean to insult anybody or anything like that.

I know quite a few things about regulations in the UK that are relevant to migrating there and almost everything about enrolling into a university.

And whatever I dont know right know I am able to find through government or other specialized websites and read any necessary technicalities and details.

Procedures and protocols are not what holds me from realizing my "plan" moving into UK.

What I lack is "insider" knowledge which only people that leave there know for example "dos and donts" were is it better to look for jobs locally or how to look for them (maybe in some cities looking on the web is less sufficient than something else or the local municipality may have an excellent service exactly for people like me etc)

And generally get advice from people with a similar experience ( whot went abroad and started a life without having any real backing from their parents etc)

I thought I made that clear in my OP since I even gave a caricature of my "plan" for the first 1,2 years and talked about my financial situation and what my goals are.

As for the cost of life.. I obviously dont think that I go to the UK and by getting a blue-collar job or something similar live the life of the royalty.. but I also think that you and carla who also mentioned this really don't know how it is down here.... Ok the rent in england may be high and the pay in the smaller cities may be lower... but I am quite confident that I can find a job and that even a part time job will pay more than 600 euro (which here in Greece is the standard salary for a full time job and by full-time It usually is 8 hours paid for ~9 to 10 hours of work) and most of all I am sure that there will be some open spot full time or part time available as where here in greece you can wait for months and still not find a job listing...

I am also sure that the rent no matter how high will be manageable at least. (since if that was not true it would mean that people who have jobs are not able to sustain themselves which would lead the entire country in a financial crisis and I am not aware of such a thing happening)

Last but not least I obviously am thankful to everybody that would give me his 2 cents about how I should "maneuver" so to speak in order to start a life from scratch in the UK I did not end my post with "I thank you in advance" etc because I just posted as I would in any other forum and thought that by ending with something like that would be more like writing a formal inquiry via a traditional letter, anyway I am not here to insult anybody or make seem disrespectful if I did for some reason I cant understand and control then I apologise, and also I thank everybody contributing to my topic in advance for his time and efforts.

P.S since you are also a moderator, it seems that I cant locate the "edit" option and thus I cant fix any of my typos and general mistakes which kind of bugs me (especially the way I typed the title of my OP) :p am I blind or this forum doesn't have any edit options indeed? :p

·
Registered
39,104 Posts
What you don't mention is that the lower-paid here get quite a lot of government hand-outs, esp families, which probably isn't the case in Greece. As EU citizen, you may be eligible for some of them as things stand, but nobody knows what will happen post-Brexit.
I suggest before pontificating, you study how this forum works and show a bit of humility if you want to get help. This is a friendly forum where people give their time and knowledge freely.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.