Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys! I am from China and I am very curious about this topic :D

In China, most programmers don't use English in their jobs(Foreign firms are exceptions, but they are not mainstream, and even in foreign firms programmers just need to use simple English). What is more, English is rarely used in social activities here. As a result, most programmers' English abilities are really bad.

If a Chinese programmer wants to migrate to Australia, the most daunting obstacle is English. I can say that less that 0.1% of all Chinese programmers can score 4*7 in IELTS in a preparation of 3 months.

What about Indian programmers? I know your English is far more superior than Chinese counterparts.

If a NORMAL ( not only who works in large famous companies, but also who works in small mediocre ones ) Indian programmer really wants to migrate to Australia, what is his largest obstacle? What is the possibility of an Indian programmer to migrate to Australia compared to China's 0.1%?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hi guys! I am from China and I am very curious about this topic :D

In China, most programmers don't use English in their jobs(Foreign firms are exceptions, but they are not mainstream, and even in foreign firms programmers just need to use simple English). What is more, English is rarely used in social activities here. As a result, most programmers' English abilities are really bad.

If a Chinese programmer wants to migrate to Australia, the most daunting obstacle is English. I can say that less that 0.1% of all Chinese programmers can score 4*7 in IELTS in a preparation of 3 months.

What about Indian programmers? I know your English is far more superior than Chinese counterparts.

If a NORMAL ( not only who works in large famous companies, but also who works in small mediocre ones ) Indian programmer really wants to migrate to Australia, what is his largest obstacle? What is the possibility of an Indian programmer to migrate to Australia compared to China's 0.1%?
Largest obstacle is IELTS in India too. If you get 7 in all or 6 in all with lot of experience, you can secure PR no matter what the map of your country is.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Largest obstacle is IELTS in India too. If you get 7 in all or 6 in all with lot of experience, you can secure PR no matter what the map of your country is.
Let us say there is a Chinese programmer whose English ability is average in China who wants to migrate to Australia desperately. He quit his job and prepare IELTS 12 hours a day for a year and take 12 IELTS exams. Then I guess his chance to score 4*7 is 10%.

What is the chance of an Indian programmer who will do the same? I guess 70% ?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Let us say there is a Chinese programmer whose English ability is average in China who wants to migrate to Australia desperately. He quit his job and prepare IELTS 12 hours a day for a year and take 12 IELTS exams. Then I guess his chance to score 4*7 is 10%.

Well Noah,
It all depends on how smartly a candidate prepares.
I chose to give PTE-A over IELTS. It u
Results are fully evaluated by artificial intelligence.
You need not to be a fluent speaker but a smart learner who could understand the scoring keys.
Onq,qe get points not only on how they speak, but also on other factors like grammer, pronunciation, quality etc.
""
I'll suggest u for PTE-A. The exam is easy :; the results are fast.qqytu,'
Utyi,u"'
Read this

http://pearsonpte.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/PTEA_Score_Guide.pdf

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well Noah,
It all depends on how smartly a candidate prepares.
I chose to give PTE-A over IELTS. It u
Results are fully evaluated by artificial intelligence.
You need not to be a fluent speaker but a smart learner who could understand the scoring keys.
Onq,qe get points not only on how they speak, but also on other factors like grammer, pronunciation, quality etc.
""
I'll suggest u for PTE-A. The exam is easy :; the results are fast.qqytu,'
Utyi,u"'
Read this
Thank you for your advice!
Actually I am just curious of the easiness of an Indian programmer to migrate to Australia.
What confuses me is that there are hundreds of thousands programmers in India with a high level mastery of English, considering the salary gap between Australia and India, the number of India programmers seeking to migrate is not that striking as I expected.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Yeah, it does seem like getting a PR is much easier for Indian programmers. But the real struggle, aka 'extreme mental torture' known as 'job hunt', which begins after getting the PR, is on the same level for Indian and Chinese programmers.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hello Noah1987,

If this post is a Poll or a comparison of ability to speak English language between Indians and Chinese nationals, then my answer is - YES! Indians have far more better English speaking ability compared to Chinese, because English Language is primarily taught to us from Schooling and with growing competition and globalization, and with demand of English speaking professionals, most of the youth here tend to learn English at least to a level of survival.

Most of the Indian IT Firms only hire people who have decent communication skills in English. I would say, minimum English requirement for most of IT Jobs here is 5 out of 10 (or may be 6 out of 10). And an person who gets in to a job here in India, eventually improves his communication skills, when they realize it's importance. So some one has like 4 -5 years of experience generally work hard and improve their communication skills by a point or two (to make it 7 or 8 out of 10).

Hence they are very much eligible to apply for Australian Visa or for that matter any visa to other major countries. Moreover, we tend to have a neutral kind of ascent which is mostly understood by many English speaking nations. This makes us more eligible and preferable.

Honestly, I think many Chinese students are working very hard to improve their English and specially in the US more and more Chinese are being encouraged these days, which is a very positive sign.

This is just my opinion and thoughts. Genuinely, I am not trying to bias or comment on any race, country in specific. Thanks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, it does seem like getting a PR is much easier for Indian programmers. But the real struggle, aka 'extreme mental torture' known as 'job hunt', which begins after getting the PR, is on the same level for Indian and Chinese programmers.
Thank you for your reply!

How easy is it? Can I say every Indian programmer who wants to migrate can migrate?

If not, what is the obstacle? If it is English, can't it be overcame by more practice?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hello Noah1987,

If this post is a Poll or a comparison of ability to speak English language between Indians and Chinese nationals, then my answer is - YES! Indians have far more better English speaking ability compared to Chinese, because English Language is primarily taught to us from Schooling and with growing competition and globalization, and with demand of English speaking professionals, most of the youth here tend to learn English at least to a level of survival.

Most of the Indian IT Firms only hire people who have decent communication skills in English. I would say, minimum English requirement for most of IT Jobs here is 5 out of 10 (or may be 6 out of 10). And an person who gets in to a job here in India, eventually improves his communication skills, when they realize it's importance. So some one has like 4 -5 years of experience generally work hard and improve their communication skills by a point or two (to make it 7 or 8 out of 10).

Hence they are very much eligible to apply for Australian Visa or for that matter any visa to other major countries. Moreover, we tend to have a neutral kind of ascent which is mostly understood by many English speaking nations. This makes us more eligible and preferable.

Honestly, I think many Chinese students are working very hard to improve their English and specially in the US more and more Chinese are being encouraged these days, which is a very positive sign.

This is just my opinion and thoughts. Genuinely, I am not trying to bias or comment on any race, country in specific. Thanks!
Can I conclude that if you are a programmer in India, your chance of immigration is very high? Say, larger than 50% if you really want?

·
Registered
56 Posts

Well, I believe its a very subjective question which warrants inclusion of social as well as economic factors. In India, ease of migration is not the only factor that drives the motive to migrate. This may explain the small number of aspirants as you have a rightly noticed.

Also I don't think IELTS as terminal criteria because the following profile may not be uncommon in China.
Age <= 32 - 30 points
Edu : 15 - 15 points
Exp > 8 - 15 points
NAATI - 5 points ( have seen many of our friends from Pakistan getting 5 points for Urdu to English translation skill, you can do same for Mandarin to English)
Partner - 5 points
Sponsorship - 5 points

This whole bunch calculates to 75 points ! ( correct me if I am wrong). IELTS may move things faster but is definitely not the factor where you should loose your sleep on if thinking of migrating to oz.
Good luck

·
Registered
413 Posts
Yes. It is highly likely that programmer working in American MNC in India can pass the english exam and get a job in Australia. However, the cost of living in Australia is high, so people prefer to migrate US/UK as a first preference. Usually, MNC's send them for 2-3 year of onsite assignment, and subsequently they apply for extension in US/UK.

70% of people(programers) who are applying for Australia migration have not got chance to settle down in US/UK and they consider Australia/Canada as the only option(last) to migrate to English Speaking Country.

Just my view.

Can I conclude that if you are a programmer in India, your chance of immigration is very high? Say, larger than 50% if you really want?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, I believe its a very subjective question which warrants inclusion of social as well as economic factors. In India, ease of migration is not the only factor that drives the motive to migrate. This may explain the small number of aspirants as you have a rightly noticed.

Also I don't think IELTS as terminal criteria because the following profile may not be uncommon in China.
Age <= 32 - 30 points
Edu : 15 - 15 points
Exp > 8 - 15 points
NAATI - 5 points ( have seen many of our friends from Pakistan getting 5 points for Urdu to English translation skill, you can do same for Mandarin to English)
Partner - 5 points
Sponsorship - 5 points

This whole bunch calculates to 75 points ! ( correct me if I am wrong). IELTS may move things faster but is definitely not the factor where you should loose your sleep on if thinking of migrating to oz.
Good luck
"In India, ease of migration is not the only factor that drives the motive to migrate."
Could you please explain this?

In China, most programmer never even think about migration because few people did that successfully in their social circles. For those very few programmers who work in MNC and who can pass the migration obstacles, their salary can hit up to 50% of their American/Australian counterparts, which curbs their incentive to migrate.

Could you please explain what are the factors that drive Indian programmer not choose to migrate?

Thank you!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes. It is highly likely that programmer working in American MNC in India can pass the english exam and get a job in Australia. However, the cost of living in Australia is high, so people prefer to migrate US/UK as a first preference. Usually, MNC's send them for 2-3 year of onsite assignment, and subsequently they apply for extension in US/UK.

70% of people(programers) who are applying for Australia migration have not got chance to settle down in US/UK and they consider Australia/Canada as the only option(last) to migrate to English Speaking Country.

Just my view.
Got it.
Thank you!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts