Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
tl;dr
Can I turn up in Spain last week of November, put money in a bank account, get a 1 year rental contract, and do the various steps and apply for residency before December 31st?

Full version
I'm British, living in Ecuador. Our intention was come and move to Spain with my Bolivian wife and 2 half Britsh/half latino kids.

Seeing as me and the kids hold UK passports, the idea was to come over, get residency, and then have the wife visit and give it to her.. that was all well and good until the world locked down :(

We're currently waiting for my wife to get a renewed passport (hers is expired and the renewal is delayed due to covid), and once we get it we will travel. The spanish embassy said they'd give her a visa so we can travel together.

I've paid various lawyers who've told me a bunch of codswallop such as, I can turn up next year and there is a special agreement for Brits, to claim residency. The same lawyers also told me that I can turn up whenever and just stick 30k Euros in a bank account and rent a property and I'm good.

Many of you peeps are sage and have up to date info: what is the truth? Will I be able to come, rent a property, deposit money in a spanish account and get residency, or is there a 3 month minimum?

I' want to get it right, as I don't want to travel, with all the myriad risks posed by covid, to achieve absolutely nothing: the worst case scenario of stay in Ecuador and apply for a non-lucrative visa, next year, will be better than come to Spain and get nothing..

Please help us out; we've paid hundreds of dollars and I don't trust these lawyers a jot.

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
To be clear; laywer said I could stick 21000 euros in an account, and then go and apply. not a monthly minimum.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited by Moderator)
I also found this:

How much money do Brits registering for residency in Spain before December 31st need to show?

The Withdrawal Agreement and the Royal Decree covering Spain's Brexit contingency measures guarantee that Brits living in Spain before the end of 2020 are treated the same as all other EU/EEA citizens, even if they have their residency appointment after the December 31st 2020 deadline.

“As long as you can show authorities proof that you have been living in Spain before that date, the same conditions will apply to you as to any EU citizen,” John Carrivick of Eurocitizens group told The Local.

This can take the form of a rental agreement, house bills, a padrón certificate (registration at your town hall) etc.

“I’ve never heard of any Brits having their residency denied up to now because of insufficient income, I know I wasn’t asked for an income requirement but I moved to Spain in 1971.

"Foreigners' office staff usually don't look too closely at this with EU nationals but this could have now changed for Brits currently applying for residency and proof of financial means will definitely be a requirement for UK nationals after December 31st."

The evidence indeed suggests that this has changed already and that Brits who aren’t working or registered as self-employed are being required to show proof of sufficient financial resources to be self-sufficient, even if protected under the Withdrawal Agreement or Royal Decree.

According to /SNIP/, the minimum annual amounts required as of 2020 for residency applications for citizens of the EU, EEA and Switzerland are as follows:

Individual: €5,538

With families:

2 members: €9,415
3 members €13,292
4 members €17,169

Each additional member: +€3,876

The /SBIP/has taken the information from Spanish government sources and stated that it’s the accepted amount based on the minimum income in Spain, the non-contributory pension. The amounts stated above rise annually.

However - and this is important – these amounts are not the same across Spain and won’t apply to every residency application.
from /SNIP/ via thelocal .es (can't paste links yet; account is too new)

so it sounds like I will be able to do this afterall.. Still, if anyone here has specific info/guidance, then please share.

·
Registered
76 Posts
The main issue for British wanting to move to Spain next year, as I see it, will be the higher savings and income requirements. They are currently lower for EU members than for non-EU. So those British on a modest income/savings would be better to apply this year, than risk not being able to meet the higher income requirements for non-EU applicants (which British will be from 2021).

You'll still be able to apply next year, but it certainly won't be any easier.

It's very tight now to get everything in place. You'll need a NIE, bank account, address, padron cert, proof of regular amounts going in the bank.

·
Administrator
35,890 Posts
I also found this:

from /SNIP/ via thelocal .es (can't paste links yet; account is too new)

so it sounds like I will be able to do this afterall.. Still, if anyone here has specific info/guidance, then please share.
The organisation you quoted has no official standing. It's a forum similar to this one, so quoting it is against forum rules, which is why I removed references to it.

The figures quoted are more or less what is required at the moment - some extranjerías accept less, some more.

What IS happening atm though, is that for a first TIE (WA version) many more extranjerías than previously are expecting funds to have been in an account for 3 months or more before 'approval'.

·
Administrator
35,890 Posts
The main issue for British wanting to move to Spain next year, as I see it, will be the higher savings and income requirements. They are currently lower for EU members than for non-EU. So those British on a modest income/savings would be better to apply this year, than risk not being able to meet the higher income requirements for non-EU applicants (which British will be from 2021).

You'll still be able to apply next year, but it certainly won't be any easier.

It's very tight now to get everything in place. You'll need a NIE, bank account, address, padron cert, proof of regular amounts going in the bank.
A NIE would be issued at the time of first application.

Yes, next year financial requirements will be MUCH higher.

Going by what is currently required for non-EU citizens, for a family of four, it would be in the region of 52,000€ a year + private healthcare insurance.

The visa application is more complicated too, & has to be done before coming to Spain.

·
Registered
402 Posts
tl;dr
Can I turn up in Spain last week of November, put money in a bank account, get a 1 year rental contract, and do the various steps and apply for residency before December 31st?

Full version
I'm British, living in Ecuador. Our intention was come and move to Spain with my Bolivian wife and 2 half Britsh/half latino kids.

Seeing as me and the kids hold UK passports, the idea was to come over, get residency, and then have the wife visit and give it to her.. that was all well and good until the world locked down :(

We're currently waiting for my wife to get a renewed passport (hers is expired and the renewal is delayed due to covid), and once we get it we will travel. The spanish embassy said they'd give her a visa so we can travel together.

I've paid various lawyers who've told me a bunch of codswallop such as, I can turn up next year and there is a special agreement for Brits, to claim residency. The same lawyers also told me that I can turn up whenever and just stick 30k Euros in a bank account and rent a property and I'm good.

Many of you peeps are sage and have up to date info: what is the truth? Will I be able to come, rent a property, deposit money in a spanish account and get residency, or is there a 3 month minimum?

I' want to get it right, as I don't want to travel, with all the myriad risks posed by covid, to achieve absolutely nothing: the worst case scenario of stay in Ecuador and apply for a non-lucrative visa, next year, will be better than come to Spain and get nothing..

Please help us out; we've paid hundreds of dollars and I don't trust these lawyers a jot.

Thanks everyone.

You need to come THIS year if possible.
From next year as a UK citizen you will need a MUCH higher income level....4 or 5 times as much.PLUS private healthcare for everyone. You need private healthcare if you come this year too....but the income thresh-hold is lower.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You need to come THIS year if possible.
From next year as a UK citizen you will need a MUCH higher income level....4 or 5 times as much.PLUS private healthcare for everyone. You need private healthcare if you come this year too....but the income thresh-hold is lower.
What IS happening atm though, is that for a first TIE (WA version) many more extranjerías than previously are expecting funds to have been in an account for 3 months or more before 'approval'.
I totally get it's better to come this year. This is what we are trying to do. The issue I have, is, I don't think I can come before last week of November, and first week of December.

Lawyers are telling me that's fine. A lot of folks are saying I need a Spanish bank account with money in it for 3 months (how can I do that before coming to spain)? My money is in online services, similar to paypal, not regular banks. So I worry that even if I move the cash to spanish bank account, that we will be rejected, then would have come for nothing.

What would happen in that case? As I understand it, they're not even doing appointments now; but having an application before December 31st is enough to secure the TIE. The only bit I'm unsure of is this 3 month requirement. :(

I can't even fly to Spain today if I wanted; it's closed for non-spanish citizens from Ecuador, and if I wanted to go, I'd have to quanrentine in the UK (God forbid)

·
Administrator
35,890 Posts
I totally get it's better to come this year. This is what we are trying to do. The issue I have, is, I don't think I can come before last week of November, and first week of December.

Lawyers are telling me that's fine. A lot of folks are saying I need a Spanish bank account with money in it for 3 months (how can I do that before coming to spain)? My money is in online services, similar to paypal, not regular banks. So I worry that even if I move the cash to spanish bank account, that we will be rejected, then would have come for nothing.

What would happen in that case? As I understand it, they're not even doing appointments now; but having an application before December 31st is enough to secure the TIE. The only bit I'm unsure of is this 3 month requirement. :(

I can't even fly to Spain today if I wanted; it's closed for non-spanish citizens from Ecuador, and if I wanted to go, I'd have to quanrentine in the UK (God forbid)
There are appointments still - though there has been such a huge rush that some offices are overwhelmed. People are checking online several times each day & grabbing what they can.

Only the specific office to which you'll be applying can say if they require the funds to have been in the account for 3 months.

·
Registered
284 Posts
We moved over in August.
You will be ok to move end of November.

You will need to open a Spanish non resident account and put your money in.
If you are coming to the Alicante area. You will need 9000 in the account for you and extra for the kids (don't know how much as we don't have kids)
You then have to spend from this account daily or whenever, for 3 months and keep the account at or around the 9000 and once the 3 months is up you can apply.

You will also need private healthcare, NIE for everyone, an address, padrón cert less than 3 months old at time of application, detailed bank statements signed and stamped from the bank to show the transactions.

So if you get here 1st December you can apply for residency on the 1st March 2021 at the earliest.
As you were here and can prove it (bank transactions, airline tickets) you still qualify under the Brexit agreement.

These requirements are from Alicante where we will be applying, from other areas the amount etc will be different.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There are appointments still - though there has been such a huge rush that some offices are overwhelmed. People are checking online several times each day & grabbing what they can.

Only the specific office to which you'll be applying can say if they require the funds to have been in the account for 3 months.
I appreciate you answering. Do you have any idea how I can get in touch with them before I pack up my house and drag my family over to Spain? I could call them before making plans.

We're planning to live in Granada; but I'd probably move anywhere that would give me the ability to get residency, even if I have to do the application with a cheap flat I only use to get the residency, and then move to Granada afterwards: losing the deposit (or even a years rent) would be better than not getting residency.

·
Administrator
35,890 Posts
I appreciate you answering. Do you have any idea how I can get in touch with them before I pack up my house and drag my family over to Spain? I could call them before making plans.

We're planning to live in Granada; but I'd probably move anywhere that would give me the ability to get residency, even if I have to do the application with a cheap flat I only use to get the residency, and then move to Granada afterwards: losing the deposit (or even a years rent) would be better than not getting residency.
Usually I'd suggest calling them.

One idea springs to mind. Under the terms of the WA, if you can become resident before the end of the year, you bring your family over later, even next year. So only you need to pack up & move in a hurry.

·
Registered
38,904 Posts
So if you get here 1st December you can apply for residency on the 1st March 2021 at the earliest.
As you were here and can prove it (bank transactions, airline tickets) you still qualify under the Brexit agreement.

These requirements are from Alicante where we will be applying, from other areas the amount etc will be different.
One snag is if you have a UK driving licence and you want to continue driving in Spain (your own car, hire car when you need one etc), unless you start the licence exchange process before the end of the year (for which you need residency document - TIE), you will have to pass driving test in Spanish. It's possible that Spain may allow extra time to exchange licence without requiring passing driving test (theory and practical), but there is no news about it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Usually I'd suggest calling them.

One idea springs to mind. Under the terms of the WA, if you can become resident before the end of the year, you bring your family over later, even next year. So only you need to pack up & move in a hurry.

yes. that might be an option (we'd rather avoid splitting up the family during turbulent times, of course).

Who does one call? sorry that's not at all clear to me.

I'll call whoever I need to first thing Monday, if know who to call.

·
Registered
38,904 Posts
yes. that might be an option (we'd rather avoid splitting up the family during turbulent times, of course).

Who does one call? sorry that's not at all clear to me.

I'll call whoever I need to first thing Monday, if know who to call.
The extranjeria office to which you make your residency application.

·
Registered
76 Posts

You are British. So why can't you fly to UK, pre-arrange a second connecting flight straight out from UK to Spain? Spain might be blocking people from Equador, but it isn't blocking Brits from UK, no requirement to isolate, and as far as I'm aware travellers on connecting flights don't have to quaratine in UK.

Once in Spain you could get an address, NIE, set up a bank account with regular payments going in, and get the wheels in motion. You'd then start to accumulate the evidence from Oct/Nov/Dec needed to backup up your application for Spanish residency.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
If your wife is Bolivian then she can apply for residency in Spain circumventing Brexit etc. South America has a different residency arrangement with Spain. My mother in law is from Paraguay. Residency was easy and spanish citizenship was granted in 5 years. Once your wife has it you can then apply under her umbrella.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Why do you say that?

You can actually apply on 1st December! You just have to meet the criteria of funds/income etc. You do NOT have to show 3 months of bank statements if you have savings (for example)
I wouldn't be sure about the 3 months of statements. Many people applying for TIE have said that in some offices it has been asked for. As we all know nothing about this is fixed in stone or consistent in all areas

·
Registered
402 Posts
I wouldn't be sure about the 3 months of statements. Many people applying for TIE have said that in some offices it has been asked for. As we all know nothing about this is fixed in stone or consistent in all areas
I wasn´t asked for any bank statements.
I had with me a letter from my Spanish bank stating how much was in there...that was all...

This was in Barcelona.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts