Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mates

For last 2 months I am in the search of Oz jobs, I applied through leading websites Like SEEK and also I am in touch with employment agents. Initially I got the impression that if I relocate myself to Oz then it will be easy to find jobs there , based on that I was decided to give-up my present job and relocate Perth by Oct. But recent days, I am getting negative feedback from some of agents that still the Oz job market is in very bad shape and it is not advisable to relocate AUS until next year March. For example below is reply from one of the agent in Perth

“It would be a good idea to stay on where you are unless you've been offered a job elsewhere. There are no guarantees in regards to job security in Australia as you will have a lot of competition as well”

I am very much confused now; whether to proceed as I planned or forget about Oz relocation at the moment!!
I am an Engineer working for an Oil and Gas company in Middle East,

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
Hi

this is what I was told by a friend who works in HR deptt in some company, if u ever plan to move to AU without a job, do it between Jan-September/October), October onwards things slow down, and come december the job mkt is on a standstill because of the time of the year which picks up again in jan

·
Registered
233 Posts
since you have time till 24.02.10, why don't u try from the place where u r and enter Australia close to ur expiry date, say, if u enter in the month of feb 2010, u will also be closer to March 2010 as u said.

Regards

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
My suggestion wud be to take it easy for a wile, keep lookng, dont give up. and if u feel comfortable and can manage it financially, go there alone first, look for part-time, take up anything and everything that comes your way and keep looking on the side.

Trust me, this is how most of the ppl moving there manage initial days. If one has a visa already, there is no harm looking up the directory (google or bing it) and apply physically for each and every company. It has worked for some, u never know..it might just click.

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
If the agents are saying March, then that is worth listening to. Could you get a 3-6 month contract where you are in the meantime? That would bring you income and you could still make all your preparations to move over. Just make sure it is not past your enter by date listed on the visa sticker.

Mates

For last 2 months I am in the search of Oz jobs, I applied through leading websites Like SEEK and also I am in touch with employment agents. Initially I got the impression that if I relocate myself to Oz then it will be easy to find jobs there , based on that I was decided to give-up my present job and relocate Perth by Oct. But recent days, I am getting negative feedback from some of agents that still the Oz job market is in very bad shape and it is not advisable to relocate AUS until next year March. For example below is reply from one of the agent in Perth

“It would be a good idea to stay on where you are unless you've been offered a job elsewhere. There are no guarantees in regards to job security in Australia as you will have a lot of competition as well”

I am very much confused now; whether to proceed as I planned or forget about Oz relocation at the moment!!

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
since you have time till 24.02.10, why don't u try from the place where u r and enter Australia close to ur expiry date, say, if u enter in the month of feb 2010, u will also be closer to March 2010 as u said.

Regards
March doesnt mean, jobs will b waiting for him.. u hv to give it a shot. u can also try for an internal transfer, if your company has an office in AU.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Friends

Thanks for your quick responses. I am not happy with my present job, otherwise I can continue up to next year Feb. This is one issue. Another thing is as my entry date is 24th Feb-2010, I would like to move in advance , find job and settled there so that I cant take my family by Feb and they need not to go back home country . But things never work, as we dream.

In worst case Like Anj said I will have to find something to survive in Perth, until I have been offered job in my field. But I don’t know how much it is easy and practically possible because it is not easy for anyone to take job like Hotel server or similar that too after working in profession level for 8 years!! .

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Mates

after some time u can also goto aussieland on leave for around 3-4 weeks n try out some jobs over there...in that if it clicks u can come back n resign from current job...the bottom line is dont leave ur current job as of now....

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
well, tell u what, i have cousins in spain, canada, UK and US and lots of friends in AU. they all start like this.

when u go to a new place and u hv limited finances, the only way u can save those from finishing is u take up anything tht comes ur way, no big deal. End of the day u know u will go back to doing what u always did.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have a few questions regarding casual/part time jobs

How hard is it to find part time/casual jobs? It could be anything.
How to go ahead and apply for the casual jobs.
Do you require a CV for that?
Would employers take if you are overqualified for the casual jobs?

Regards,
Royen

well, tell u what, i have cousins in spain, canada, UK and US and lots of friends in AU. they all start like this.

when u go to a new place and u hv limited finances, the only way u can save those from finishing is u take up anything tht comes ur way, no big deal. End of the day u know u will go back to doing what u always did.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was getting Interview calls from Oz employers last year (2008) when I did not have any work authorization,

Now I have PR visa but nobody is ready to look at it!!:confused2:

Life is challenging always

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
yeah life doesn't let you live :p

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
In this case, Just stay in middle east for another 5-6 months and hopefully by then things will be better. You can also plan for a short trip just to get a fell there..

I agree with Anj, that once you go there, it is wise to take whatever job u get initially whoch would allow you some time to apply for ur type of job..

cheer up buddy.. just think of the days you left India for the first time..

·
Registered
37 Posts
In this case, Just stay in middle east for another 5-6 months and hopefully by then things will be better. You can also plan for a short trip just to get a fell there..

I agree with Anj, that once you go there, it is wise to take whatever job u get initially whoch would allow you some time to apply for ur type of job..

cheer up buddy.. just think of the days you left India for the first time..
If you really want it - go for it. The first thing to do is get yourself there. You can prepare as much as you like but you really need to get your feet on the ground there first. People like to see people in person it gives them more faith that the person is available to start.

If you must be prepared, invest some telephone money, hook up with Yellow Pages local business directory - yellow.com.au and makes some calls to the companys that may employ you. Ask for the personnel department and ask for work - if they dont have any ask them for an idea of what the industry is like at the moment. Good? Bad?.

The western australian government has just signed the biggest offshore gas deal with china in the last few weeks so surely theres work there for you. Hook up with the local paper The West Australian - Perth, WA, National & World News and keep an eye out for key business cimpanies dealing in gas engineering.

All the best and have a middie for Me at the Cott when you get there. :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
I was getting Interview calls from Oz employers last year (2008) when I did not have any work authorization,

Now I have PR visa but nobody is ready to look at it!!:confused2:

Life is challenging always
to crack any international market india included you need to be present in the country. your presence there gives the head hunters and employers that the job seeker is serious contender. :clap2:

No one wants to waste international calls and when your 5000 miles away ! :)
especially in a market like this !

Cheers

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If you really want it - go for it. The first thing to do is get yourself there. You can prepare as much as you like but you really need to get your feet on the ground there first. People like to see people in person it gives them more faith that the person is available to start.

If you must be prepared, invest some telephone money, hook up with Yellow Pages local business directory - yellow.com.au and makes some calls to the companys that may employ you. Ask for the personnel department and ask for work - if they dont have any ask them for an idea of what the industry is like at the moment. Good? Bad?.

The western australian government has just signed the biggest offshore gas deal with china in the last few weeks so surely theres work there for you. Hook up with the local paper The West Australian - Perth, WA, National & World News and keep an eye out for key business cimpanies dealing in gas engineering.

All the best and have a middie for Me at the Cott when you get there. :)
Hi

First of all I appreciate and would like to thank you for your most prompt response.
I registered with almost 46 agents in WA, and I am regular followers of SEEK , MYcarreer and career one . In addition to that , I keep watching news.com.au, news.yahoo.com.au, gumtree and perthpoam for updated information about latest happenings in WA
On August 17th (next day of WA government approves long waited $50B Gorgon LNG project) , I had put my resume on Chevron , ExxonMobil , Shell Australia , KBR Engineering and AMEC websites in express Interest option for future openings . Not only Gorgon , I did the same kind of exercise for BECHTEL $15B LNG project in QLD and Woodside Energy latest upgrade project in Karratha –WA

I believe I have taken reasonable efforts to check the possibility of getting job online or at least one interview call , but the result is ZERO still today. BTW , 2 months is too short to decide about anything. But from today`s discussion what I can understand is Oz relocation is not going to be easy as I was dreaming.

After spending so much money and time for Visa, struggling for job is really sucks!! Anyway as a proactive measure I kept options open for US and Canada also but for anything I need to wait for 2010 :mad:

·
Registered
111 Posts
This discussion is very apt to my situation as well. I have 11+ yrs of experience and I take pride about whatever I have achieved so far in my professional career. I am not sure if I would be able to do any casual job at all. It's not that I look down on these jobs but I wonder if it makes any sense to start afresh in a different job stream. Also wonder if this will negatively affect any chances of getting back to original profession.

Yes it is true in any part of world that one needs to be physically present at that place where one is looking for a job. My experience also tells that. Also heard that market is picking up well at least for IT testers.

It's a risk for sure but we only have one life and that too is not for ever. If not now then when ? well.. it's thought process which I have been going through for quite some time. I seriously hope when I get to a stage of decision making, it would not be too tough for me choose.

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
first of all, u got to open up ur thought process.. it seems too narrow to me. be positive and good things happen, be negative and trust me u attract it..
u hv to go there to get a feel of the place, u cant sit back and expect for it to come your way. trust me, not everyone gets lucky, most of people I know made it the hard way. If u have to go find a job in India, do u think u will get it in a day? No, it will take u months. not just now but it was always like this, just when u dont hv a job and are looking for something, it takes forever and when u r sitting in a good job, love ur work, u wil get all the opportunities knocking ur door..

u think canada or US is any better? nopes, its worse. A cousin, who's MA in English and knows french and god knows how many languages is thinking of driving a cab because the mkt is so bad in canada tht he isnt getting anything. Another cousin who was a restaurant manager, worked as a chef as well, is sitting at home since 2 months in Spain, and not tht they are not trying. It just takes time to get things going.

Have an open mind, go there, prepare urself for hard days and go for whatever that comes ur way, keep looking and in no time u will make it.

wish u luck

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
first of all, u got to open up ur thought process.. it seems too narrow to me. be positive and good things happen, be negative and trust me u attract it..
u hv to go there to get a feel of the place, u cant sit back and expect for it to come your way. trust me, not everyone gets lucky, most of people I know made it the hard way. If u have to go find a job in India, do u think u will get it in a day? No, it will take u months. not just now but it was always like this, just when u dont hv a job and are looking for something, it takes forever and when u r sitting in a good job, love ur work, u wil get all the opportunities knocking ur door..

u think canada or US is any better? nopes, its worse. A cousin, who's MA in English and knows french and god knows how many languages is thinking of driving a cab because the mkt is so bad in canada tht he isnt getting anything. Another cousin who was a restaurant manager, worked as a chef as well, is sitting at home since 2 months in Spain, and not tht they are not trying. It just takes time to get things going.

Have an open mind, go there, prepare urself for hard days and go for whatever that comes ur way, keep looking and in no time u will make it.

wish u luck
Anj

I agree with you in one thing, I need to relocate Oz to optimize the chances of getting job that is because of poor job market not because of the way you predict. The reason is, when the job market was good like 2007 and 2008, Oz employer never bother to call wherever you are. That is how guys who were sitting with me in middle east , went to Oz and spend more years now. Infact as I wrote already, I was not lucky enough to tap chances I got in 2008. If I am able to wait up to mid of 2010, still I can get it by sitting at Dubai or even from India, but it may not be ok in my case as I am looking for immediate relocation. So only way, I have to take chance!!

I disagree with your points about US/ INDIA / CANADA. USA / Canada may not be good for Hotel managers / MA English person (Hotel one of the worst hit industry by recession) but still it is doing reasonably good for Oil and gas professionals. Obviously, everyone is interested to see how the chances of getting job in their won profession at destination rater then exploring entire country employment situation. For example, if you get VISA, you are going to check how your hubby can get job In IT, you are not going to worry how a carpenter can survive in Oz. The point is, directly you can’t compare MA English person with any top ranged profession like Medical or Engineering and conclude this is the total situation . There are some professions, which are more vulnerable to any small ups and downs in the job market. More over, go to leading job sites like Monster .Ca, Seek and put search for oil and gas professionals, then compare the results. You will understand the volume of job market. From my last post ( about upcoming projects in Oz ) hope you can understand how much in details I am putting efforts to analyze the things , so it cant be simply thrown what ever we feel in this forum , especially when the reality is something different

Needless to say, comparing India with any of these countries is a blunder. Because unemployment rate in India is close to 40% where as Oz and Canada claims close to 5 to 6 % even in recession. More over India is producing 8, 00, 000 Engineer (like cultivating rice) every year so no surprise if you are sitting at home for even 1 year. But it should not be the case with Oz or Canada.

Finally, being an Asian, experienced only low grade life from the birth, life in any western country should be heaven. The reason why everyone is jumping about Oz is, it is easy when you compare with Canada PR and US H1B, and even a hair dresser can get Oz visa in 8 months. My intention is not to disgrace about Oz, being an Oz PR visa holder I should not do that. But I feel this is the reality

1 - 20 of 91 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.