Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An indictment for anyone who doesn't label their copies as "COPY" (and to give everyone who DID a reason to point and laugh!)...

When we applied for my partner's fiancée visa back in December last year, we included originals and copies of everything - including title deeds of our house. It is only now, in the eleventh hour of preparing those same documents for our FLR(M) appointment Monday, that we've just discovered that UKBA in New York retained the original deeds and returned the photocopy to us by mistake (the copy not including the reverse-side info etc).

Whilst we have no chance of obtaining the original in time for our appointment (we have mortgage statements, the photocopy deeds (page 1) returned to us plus title plan - and mortgage statements so hopefully we won't have problems, is it possible or not recommended to contact UKBA NY asking whether they can return our original deeds?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
An indictment for anyone who doesn't label their copies as "COPY" (and to give everyone who DID a reason to point and laugh!)...

When we applied for my partner's fiancée visa back in December last year, we included originals and copies of everything - including title deeds of our house. It is only now, in the eleventh hour of preparing those same documents for our FLR(M) appointment Monday, that we've just discovered that UKBA in New York retained the original deeds and returned the photocopy to us by mistake (the copy not including the reverse-side info etc).

Whilst we have no chance of obtaining the original in time for our appointment (we have mortgage statements, the photocopy deeds (page 1) returned to us plus title plan - and mortgage statements so hopefully we won't have problems, is it possible or not recommended to contact UKBA NY asking whether they can return our original deeds?

Thanks in advance.
I recently read the independent chief inspector report on the UKBA NYC; seems they have a propensity to accidentally keep originals and return copies. The report mentioned that several applicants had to contact the NYC office to request the return of original documents including birth and marriage certificates, and title deed.

So it looks as though this happens, and people have successfully contacted the UKBA NYC for the return of docs-you shouldn't have any trouble as long as you still have your application/file number.

ETA: If you're interested, scroll down, you're looking for the UKBA NYC Visa section report, lots of other interesting reports there too:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/aboutus/workingwithus/indbodies/chiefinspector/

·
Super Moderator
5,194 Posts

Thanks in advance.
Thanks for this advice!

I have to go out to run some errands later this afternoon, so I will stop by my local Staples/Office Depot and pick myself up a "Copy" stamp... a small price to pay in the grand scheme of things to avoid falling into the same trap that you now find yourself in.

I'm sorry you didn't get all of your originals back (major suckage!) but please know that your tale has been heard and that at least one person (moi) is learning from it.

Good luck on your application... I really hope that they don't hassle you about not having the original deed!

Reactions: 2farapart

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Thanks for this advice!

I have to go out to run some errands later this afternoon, so I will stop by my local Staples/Office Depot and pick myself up a "Copy" stamp... a small price to pay in the grand scheme of things to avoid falling into the same trap that you now find yourself in.

I'm sorry you didn't get all of your originals back (major suckage!) but please know that your tale has been heard and that at least one person (moi) is learning from it.

Good luck on your application... I really hope that they don't hassle you about not having the original deed!
No real need for a stamp unless you have office supplies fetish:) Simply write 'COPY' across the upper right or left corner of each copy.

·
Super Moderator
5,194 Posts
No real need for a stamp unless you have office supplies fetish:) Simply write 'COPY' across the upper right or left corner of each copy.
I have OCD tendencies (I've been both scolded and teased by w*rk colleagues about it), and now that 2Far has suggested writing "COPY" on the copies, it's triggered me into wanting that stamp for my application. (and you can bet that I'm anal/OCD enough to make sure that each page is stamped in exactly the same spot)

Pathetic, yes I know, but I want to present the best application that I can so that I can get the best result possible (O.M.G., now I'm channeling Asian Parent tendencies [I am an ethnic Japanese]... stoppit, Westie, STOP IT!!) and coupled with the mild OCD, it's not always a pretty sight. :roll:

Reactions: Zama

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you so much, AIS! I'll add to the woes of their investigative reports as another statistic demanding my original deeds. :D

We're of course kicking ourselves for leaving it right until now to properly check our documents (something SO important yet we're typically leaving it all to the last and having major stress meltdown). Remembering it all from the fiancée application last year and grimacing at the fact we'll have to do this up to another two times in the future (and we'll still leave it until last minute I expect).

·
Registered
35 Posts
Even if we didn't leave it until now, I would still be going through the documents last minute forgetting if we had things attached properly. OCD IS a terrible thing. Cop-Original...Copy attached in correct place....Exact copies needed, etc etc....

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
@2Farapart and Dylan-is-Caths, we're not especially thrilled about the added stress in all of this either. We'll hopefully be able to apply for the ILR in a year but the year leading up to that is going to be very stressful-especially the waiting to see when/if and which of the proposed changes are going to be implemented!

But even without the extra-special (hmph) stress of the proposed changes there is the stress of the LIUK test, the gathering up of the documents...worth it, of course, but oh wow, the stress!

·
Registered
35 Posts
@2Farapart and Dylan-is-Caths, we're not especially thrilled about the added stress in all of this either. We'll hopefully be able to apply for the ILR in a year but the year leading up to that is going to be very stressful-especially the waiting to see when/if and which of the proposed changes are going to be implemented!

But even without the extra-special (hmph) stress of the proposed changes there is the stress of the LIUK test, the gathering up of the documents...worth it, of course, but oh wow, the stress!
What is really disheartening to me is the thought of them changing the rules, in 2 years having to spend another 900 pounds to get another 3 year before getting the ILR. I am truly hoping the proposed changes aren't made retroactive :confused:. The paperwork we have this time will be left in it's folder so we can do the process again following what we have done now.

The stress levels are intense. We have nothing to fear, it's all there, but just the thought that someone can tear you apart over one measly missing document. Therein lies the stress.

Adding the fact that the UKBA in New York didn't send the original had us in a panic for over 2 hours of searching just to make sure we didn't misplace it. We have the mortgage statement, and a paper She paid for of the title deed that says not an official document but has all the pertinent info.

You know? As in the states all the changes and all the information in the world will never stop illegal immigration. They will just change methods and make it harder and harder for those of us trying to follow the letter of the law.:(

Having this forum for information and support has been an absolute wonderful thing for us. And hopefully in the future we can be here to "pay forward".

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.