Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am an Indian, got Australian PR and Canada's PR at the same time. Now I am in Canada and would get the citizenship, so can I get the PR of Australia again (Starting the process from scratch )on my Canada Passport? Any other issue? I have stayed in Australia for couple of months only.

Can they transfer PR of Australia to my Canada Passport?

Please help.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
I am an Indian, got Australian PR and Canada's PR at the same time. Now I am in Canada and would get the citizenship, so can I get the PR of Australia again (Starting the process from scratch )on my Canada Passport? Any other issue? I have stayed in Australia for couple of months only.

Please help.
Can't you keep the Indian Passport ? Doesn't Canada allow dual citizenship ?

If they do, then you can still keep the Aus PR. But you need to live there if you want to keep the PR.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts

Please help.
You got PR on Indian PP.

Now, you are yet to be CAN PP holder ( correct me if I am wrong in my understanding)

Now ,you want to transfer AUS PR to CAN PP.

Well,

Did you inform about your changes to DIBP?
Did you hand over your IND PP back and applied for OCI or PIO card?

I suggest you to approach your nearest IND and AUS embassies to get complete details.

I am afraid , the assumptions ppl make here will affect your process.

Good luck

·
Registered
151 Posts
Should be okay if you inform DIBP of your status.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts

Please help.
If your PR visa is still in effect, you can update DIBP with your new (Canada) passport details and it would then be linked to your Canadian passport. You can apply for a new Australian PR visa if you meet the current requirements, using your Canadian passport. During your application you would need to mention your Indian passport/citizenship details as well.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
One more thing may be someone knows it. Once the DIBP PR on Canadian passport, Do I need to get the RRV ? Because Canada Passport itself should be sufficient for eTa.

Thanks
Silvi

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
One more thing may be someone knows it. Once the DIBP PR on Canadian passport, Do I need to get the RRV ? Because Canada Passport itself should be sufficient for eTa.

Thanks
Silvi
As far as I can see, yes you need RRV (better check). eTA usually works for tourist visa, but then you are not a PR anymore if you become tourist.

And you can't use eTA tourist visa while you are a PR for Aus.

So, either you are a PR or a tourist.

·
Registered
18 Posts

Please help.
If you don't mind just curious... your reason to move from Canada to Aus knowing you are already on verge of citizenship?

·
Super Moderator
3,447 Posts

Thanks
Silvi
ETAs/eVisitor visas granted online are for tourism only and do not permit you to work/live in Australia. They only allow for visits for tourism purposes for up to 90 days. Also, you can only have one substantive visa at any one time and any subsequent visas will supersede any visas granted previously. To return to Australia as a permanent resident, you must enter Australia either on the initial PR visa that was granted or, if it is no longer valid, you need to apply for an RRV.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok. Got it now. But If I don't get the RRV as I don't have any substantial ties so do I have to apply again for PR?

Thanks....

·
Super Moderator
3,447 Posts
Ok. Got it now. But If I don't get the RRV as I don't have any substantial ties so do I have to apply again for PR?

Thanks....
If your initial visa has expired then you need an RRV to enter Australia as a permanent resident. If you do not meet the requirements for an RRV then you will need to re-apply for a permanent visa.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks everyone.
So do I have to apply for RRV just on expiry or I can apply for it in few months after expiry as well.

Like if my PR visa expires by March 2018.

Can I apply for RRV in March 2019? If I had left Australia in March 2014.

Regards
Silvi

·
Super Moderator
3,447 Posts
Thanks everyone.
So do I have to apply for RRV just on expiry or I can apply for it in few months after expiry as well.

Like if my PR visa expires by March 2018.

Can I apply for RRV in March 2019? If I had left Australia in March 2014.

Regards
Silvi
You can apply for it whenever you want assuming you meet the requirements at the point when you lodge the application. Obviously you need to apply for it before you return to Australia.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts