Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi forum

Its been a long ride from getting PR (190) with the help of this excellent forum.

I have been granted SN 190 in Jan 2014, activated in May 2014, still need to move permanently.

Back then, it was unlikely for a Pakistani to get 189 within 1.5 year therefore I opted for 190.

I got married after the PR grant (Apr 2014) therefore my spouse is not in the initial application as expected.

The Australian Government has raised the partner visa fee from $3080 to $4630 and now to a whopping $6830 all within one year.

I have been living with my spouse for almost an year collecting co cohabitant proofs such as utilities bills, tenancy contracts, joint accounts, joint travel, her dependent visa for UAE/malaysia, pictures, marriage certificate, her as next of kin in bank and insurance etc

But the ultimate moving to Australia dream seem to get more expensive by the day and that too comes at a price of living almost 12 months as I have to first move to Australia in order to satisfy the USUAL RESIDENT Clause for 309 visa

Now i was hoping if someone can shed the light on the question, my IELTS is valid, so is my Skill assessment and my occupation is on SOL.

It is highly demanded in Australia so I doubt it will be removed in 2015-16 SOL, Can i file a 189 with a 190 already granted?
Obviously along with my wife.
We will stay together and wait for the grant. It is also much cheaper than the partner visa alone even with the 10% fee hike for 2015. Also, I will not have to settle in any state for initial 2 years for that visa.

What do you folks think ?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bump.... anyone ?

·
Registered
960 Posts
Hi forum

Its been a long ride from getting PR (190) with the help of this excellent forum.

I have been granted SN 190 in Jan 2014, activated in May 2014, still need to move permanently.

Back then, it was unlikely for a Pakistani to get 189 within 1.5 year therefore I opted for 190.

I got married after the PR grant (Apr 2014) therefore my spouse is not in the initial application as expected.

The Australian Government has raised the partner visa fee from $3080 to $4630 and now to a whopping $6830 all within one year.

I have been living with my spouse for almost an year collecting co cohabitant proofs such as utilities bills, tenancy contracts, joint accounts, joint travel, her dependent visa for UAE/malaysia, pictures, marriage certificate, her as next of kin in bank and insurance etc

But the ultimate moving to Australia dream seem to get more expensive by the day and that too comes at a price of living almost 12 months as I have to first move to Australia in order to satisfy the USUAL RESIDENT Clause for 309 visa

Now i was hoping if someone can shed the light on the question, my IELTS is valid, so is my Skill assessment and my occupation is on SOL.

It is highly demanded in Australia so I doubt it will be removed in 2015-16 SOL, Can i file a 189 with a 190 already granted?
We will stay together and wait for the grant. It is also much cheaper than the partner visa alone even with the 10% fee hike for 2015. Also, I will not have to settle in any state for initial 2 years for that visa.

Logically you cannot have more than 1 valid visa at one point of time. So , simple answer would be no. Since you already have a valid visa, you can add your partner on to it.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts

You can apply for 189, I don't see any restriction.

WHEN your 189 is GRANTED, automatically your 190 would be Non-Operative/Cease.

Hi forum

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hi forum

My migration agent told you can have only one EOI at a time. You cannot apply another EOI when the old one is in progress.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts

He isn't asking regarding EOI. What gave you the impression that he is talking about EOI?

INSTEAD he has 190 VISA, which was granted in January 2014 and was subsequently activated in May 2014.

Now he wants to know that IF he can apply for subclass 189 with his Spouse.

My migration agent told you can have only one EOI at a time. You cannot apply another EOI when the old one is in progress.
You can apply for 189, I don't see any restriction.

WHEN your 189 is GRANTED, automatically your 190 would be Non-Operative/Cease.
Hi forum

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
I'm not aware of any restriction that says a PR holder can't apply for a different PR visa. I guess if it's cheaper to do it this way, it would make sense. If your 189 visa is granted, you'd have a new Initial Entry Date to activate the new visa and your 5-year travel rights would start over again.

All things considered, it's actually (in my opinion) a really good idea. It has a shorter processing time and since your documents are still valid, probably a much easier way to go.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm not aware of any restriction that says a PR holder can't apply for a different PR visa. I guess if it's cheaper to do it this way, it would make sense. If your 189 visa is granted, you'd have a new Initial Entry Date to activate the new visa and your 5-year travel rights would start over again.

All things considered, it's actually (in my opinion) a really good idea. It has a shorter processing time and since your documents are still valid, probably a much easier way to go.
Yes, I have searched through the immigration web site and there is no restriction for filing it. but then there is no clear Yes as well ;)

However, just to be sure, I contacted VFS (Malaysia) for the same. They asked me to contact DIBP, which I have and waiting for their reply.

If it is a Yes, then it would save me an year of separation with my wife.
The skill assessment ,IELTS are valid and my occupation is most likely to be in SOL in 2016-17 too. Only additional items would be the medical for self/ wife. (I believe the medical for my 190 are valid for one year only) and PCC.

I will keep you guys posted about whatever happens.

Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
5,182 Posts
Logically you cannot have more than 1 valid visa at one point of time. So , simple answer would be no. Since you already have a valid visa, you can add your partner on to it.
this is absolutely WRONG

1- Yes you cannot have more than 1 substantive visa at a time, however it does not mean you can NOT apply for another visa while holding a visa, since a grant of another visa ceases the existing visa.

2- you cannot add your partner to an existing visa (you can add a partner to an application but not to a visa, or apply for a partner visa)

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi buddy,

I have very similar situation with you, where I try to apply 189 with my partner while holding 190 effective.

have you apply 189 later with your partner? appreciated if you could update your progress :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.