Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I recently applied for a couple of jobs on seek website. Its been a month since they were posted by I haven't received any reply/ email.

I am wondering if its my CV or location or maybe something else ..

I am into BI and I had well matching skills and experience for both those positions. I believe my CV is well written - I followed the sample formats for Australian CV from the web.

Not sure if my location is a reason.

How should I be analyzing why I haven't received a reply on this ?

Thank you

·
Registered
5,859 Posts
One cannot measure using just a couple of job applications. Especially on seek.com.au- a place where recruiters are known to post ghost adverts. So, you don't even know if those jobs were there for real.

Moreover, be careful about applying when overseas. This not only is one of the factor (for not receiving positive replies), it could become a major factor for you not receiving any interview calls even when you move down under- because their screening systems might put you (name, email, etc) into an ignore-list for some time. There is an ongoing thread on this topic (in the platypus den I guess).

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One cannot measure using just a couple of job applications. Especially on seek.com.au- a place where recruiters are known to post ghost adverts. So, you don't even know if those jobs were there for real.

Moreover, be careful about applying when overseas. This not only is one of the factor (for not receiving positive replies), it could become a major factor for you not receiving any interview calls even when you move down under- because their screening systems might put you (name, email, etc) into an ignore-list for some time. There is an ongoing thread on this topic (in the platypus den I guess).
Hi Keeda,

Thank you for the reply. I was not aware of the screening systems so it is valuable information.

I have a couple of questions:

1} Is it ok if we use a different email and initials of last name in applications so that when we go there and use full name and different email, the screening does not filter the profile ?

2} Apart from seek which other portals are recommended for searching ?

Thank you

·
Registered
5,859 Posts
1. I guess you should be fine using a different email address and a variation of your name. As for this as well as the screening systems, you might find more discussions in this thread (page 3 onwards): http://www.expatforum.com/expats/au...ill-many-people-will-migrate-australia-3.html

2. I have no idea about this mate. It could be quite some time before I make the permanent move, so I haven't really bothered about job search yet. But from what I've read, seek by far is the most popular. Ones linkedin profile and network is another source of landing interview calls and for applying for jobs (many recruiters post job requirements on linkedin too- so having them in your network helps). I've heard good things about Adzuna too. gumtree being another source for casual/ part-time jobs. This thread might have some more info: http://www.expatforum.com/expats/au...ia/738954-scoring-job-migrant-daily-tips.html

Edit: Remembered, so adding: indeed.com.au and careerone.com.au

·
Registered
208 Posts
Hi Keeda,

Thank you for the reply. I was not aware of the screening systems so it is valuable information.

I have a couple of questions:

1} Is it ok if we use a different email and initials of last name in applications so that when we go there and use full name and different email, the screening does not filter the profile ?

2} Apart from seek which other portals are recommended for searching ?

Thank you

Hi,

There is an on going thread with similar issue faced by one of the forum member
http://www.expatforum.com/expats/au...ple-will-migrate-australia-4.html#post7471986

As per my experience don't apply to recruiter posted jobs from being offshore they use software for filtering out the resume and most of your details get recorded by the software and this will mark you as a offshore guy.

you will only get call being offshore if you fall in these categories ( this is based on my experience being in oz and reaching out to some of the hr on there hiring strategies )
1) You have some niche skill see for the direct employers instead of the recruiters preferably look for some big names who sponsor 457. These are the only ones who hire from offshore at the current market situation most of the big names are not from IT though especially when it comes to OZ.

2) If you have some connections and match specific skill set like say you have worked on same domain and if you have previous experience of OZ which can also be the client interactions who were based out of OZ.

I got one of the Skype interviews by the later process which didn't materialize as it was for a different location.

I have since stopped applying from being offshore.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
About Linkedin

Hi Guys,

Thank you for the replies. About the Linkedin profiles - I know it may may sound a bit strange - but I want to know how this helps.

I do not have a Linkedin profile as of now.

1} Can we make connections/ network with people who we do not know ?

I mean this question in 2 ways - a} Is it technically allowed by Linkedin and b} Do people actually do this ? Just adding strangers to your network based on some commonality like your area of expertise ? And does this help ?

How would this progress ? Can you give any sample like how we might contact someone and what we would say and would they actually offer something without actually knowing the person - would they even add the person ?

2} Are ads posted on Linkedin by actual orgs rather than just recruiters ? How reliable are these ads posted here ?

Thank you

·
Registered
208 Posts
Hi Guys,

Thank you for the replies. About the Linkedin profiles - I know it may may sound a bit strange - but I want to know how this helps.

I do not have a Linkedin profile as of now.

1} Can we make connections/ network with people who we do not know ?

I mean this question in 2 ways - a} Is it technically allowed by Linkedin and b} Do people actually do this ? Just adding strangers to your network based on some commonality like your area of expertise ? And does this help ?

How would this progress ? Can you give any sample like how we might contact someone and what we would say and would they actually offer something without actually knowing the person - would they even add the person ?

2} Are ads posted on Linkedin by actual orgs rather than just recruiters ? How reliable are these ads posted here ?

Thank you
Well if you dont have one then that's most probable reason of you not getting the call.
Create one asap , Employers everywhere are more keen on the facts about you and LinkedIn is a good source for authentication.

Depends on how you are sending the invitations to the folks and who they are .
I am going to apply for my next job via LinkedIn and references only .
I believe i can represent myself better than the recruiters to employers but this is debatable and methodology needs better connections and references some of them you can acquire by LinkedIn, so now i think you can imagine the power of LinkedIn .
Rest please create account and explore on the same lines that we do in FB whereas later is waste of our time ( again my opinion ) LinkedIn is quite handy.

Most of the positions in seek are from the Recruiters but there are few direct ones too.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Well if you dont have one then that's most probable reason of you not getting the call.
Create one asap , Employers everywhere are more keen on the facts about you and LinkedIn is a good source for authentication.

Depends on how you are sending the invitations to the folks and who they are .
I am going to apply for my next job via LinkedIn and references only .
I believe i can represent myself better than the recruiters to employers but this is debatable and methodology needs better connections and references some of them you can acquire by LinkedIn, so now i think you can imagine the power of LinkedIn .
Rest please create account and explore on the same lines that we do in FB whereas later is waste of our time ( again my opinion ) LinkedIn is quite handy.

Most of the positions in seek are from the Recruiters but there are few direct ones too.
Hi BngToPerth,

Thank you for this important information.

Could you please give me some information on the below:

How would they verify using my Linkedin profile ? How would they know that a linkedin profile is an authentic one? Are there some verifications I can do in Linkedin ? Why is Linkedin presumed as an authentic source ?

Also, Could you please let me know answers to some specific questions on Linkedin profile settings:

1} Should I add my phone number to the Linkedin profile (I prefer not to)

2} How do I give linkedin profile on the Resume - this question is related to privacy settings in Linkedin

I want to keep my profile private in Linkedin. At the same, I want the required people to be able to view my profile. I have kept the profile private from being searched on google. But after login it can be searched.

Should I provide a url to Linkedin on my CV ?

Thank you again

·
Registered
5,859 Posts
About linkedin:

- When you create a profile, you give your education and employment details. From this info, linkedin finds out who could be your mates and work colleagues and allows you to add only those ones. At the other end, those whom you add have to "authorize" this action. There is still an option to add unknown ones (like recruiters) - but is not readily available for new accounts. Due to this two-way handshake, all in your circle are always legit professional contacts and not random people. It is more like any other networking tool, but people normally limit their circle to their immediate professional contacts (whom they have worked with, and whom they know professionally). People normally don't add a friends-friend as their friend.

- If you wish, you can add your phone number. It is up to you. You can build your profile/ resume there, highlight your career achievements, skills, technologies, awards, certifications, etc.

- People in your circle endorse you for the skills that you have chosen. You can also request them to write references.

- There is an option to create a custom URL (http link) for your profile. You can mention this link on your resume. Others (not in your circle- like a prospective employer) who have this link can view your profile, your past employment history, education, references, endorsements, etc. The viewer can see your endorsements and in turn view those peoples' profile who endorsed you and follow the chain to any level of depth- thus ensuring that those who endorsed you indeed are legit, they do (or did) share same employment histories as you (i.e. were your colleagues/ supervisors), etc.

- I don't think there is a purely private option. Your profile would be visible to some extent to others. There may be a few options to hide some personal details, but I am not too sure.

We can never be sure about job ads posted anywhere (not just linkedin). It is the Australian job market where I first came across the term "ghost ads". Ozzy recruiters are known to often post non-existent job requirements just to fill up their database or to gauge the skillset of available resources in the market or in anticipation of an upcoming work contract.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts