Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
5,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a job opportunity but the prospective employer is asking for copies of my pay slips. Is this a common practice in the UAE? Never been requested this before and I'm not entirely happy about it (is supposed to be confidential information) but maybe this is really common and I just had not heard about it.

Feedback appreciated!

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
None of mine ever did and we don't ask for it.

But know of other companies that do require it. Like you I'm not comfortable with the practice but I gather it's to make sure you're well-qualified for the role (the assumption is that if you made $XX at your previous employer you must therefore be qualified enough blah blah). God forbid they should accidentally offer a 40K job to someone who previously only made 20K.

I have a job opportunity but the prospective employer is asking for copies of my pay slips. Is this a common practice in the UAE? Never been requested this before and I'm not entirely happy about it (is supposed to be confidential information) but maybe this is really common and I just had not heard about it.

Feedback appreciated!

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
In the UK, when I lived there many moons ago, one could never fudge one's salary with a prospective employer because you had to hand in your P45 which reflected your earnings plus, at that time, we would take up references and request confirmation of last salary. Here, I've not heard of being asked to prove it though, however, I wonder how many people do actually tell the truth and how many employers check. If this is a job you want, then you will need to take a leap of faith and prove it to them. If they become your employer, will you feel comfortable that they asked you this? Where I work now, I interview my staff but I am not permitted to know what they earn even though I am their manager. Sometimes that makes it quite difficult for me to know whether they are 'value for money' when I assess them.

·
Registered
5,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies, I found this request very odd and I will politely decline for now. I can understand where they are coming from though, wanting to verify that the candidate is 'worth' what they say they are worth but I feel this is the wrong way to go about it. Wondering if maybe it has anything to do with the fact that they are an American company? If someone from the USA can provide feedback that would be great. Do American companies ask for pay slips, and if so, at what stage of the recruitment process?

Also another question for HR people: if I refuse to show my payslips, can they verify what my current salary is, without calling my current employer, which would make it very obvious that I'm interviewing for a job? (And potentially jeopardize my end of year bonus!)

Thanks again

Izzy

·
Registered
858 Posts
never been asked for this and doubt they could check themselves

not a great start - would put me at odds with a potential employer

or are you applying to the CIA?

·
Registered
38 Posts
never been asked for this and doubt they could check themselves

not a great start - would put me at odds with a potential employer

or are you applying to the CIA?
Interesting thread. I'm in the process of applying for a teaching role. They have asked for current salary ( no probs telling them that as this would be on my p45 and easily checked against my banding level ) BUT they have asked for my 'expected salary !' How do I calculate that? Obviously I'd like the moon on a stick .... Job comes with family housing, medical, flights, visas & school place for the little one. Cheeky to ask for my UK wage & package? Band A British school

Thanks AJ

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Interesting thread. I'm in the process of applying for a teaching role. They have asked for current salary ( no probs telling them that as this would be on my p45 and easily checked against my banding level ) BUT they have asked for my 'expected salary !' How do I calculate that? Obviously I'd like the moon on a stick .... Job comes with family housing, medical, flights, visas & school place for the little one. Cheeky to ask for my UK wage & package? Band A British school Thanks AJ
There'll be no requirement to show your employer here your P45...

·
Registered
171 Posts
Thanks for the replies, I found this request very odd and I will politely decline for now. I can understand where they are coming from though, wanting to verify that the candidate is 'worth' what they say they are worth but I feel this is the wrong way to go about it. Wondering if maybe it has anything to do with the fact that they are an American company? If someone from the USA can provide feedback that would be great. Do American companies ask for pay slips, and if so, at what stage of the recruitment process? Also another question for HR people: if I refuse to show my payslips, can they verify what my current salary is, without calling my current employer, which would make it very obvious that I'm interviewing for a job? (And potentially jeopardize my end of year bonus!) Thanks again Izzy
The only reason I would ask for a payslip is if I wanted to give you a loan.
But I think you just answered your question. You obviously don't want the new employer to contact your current employer, so the only way to verify what you do and how much you make right now is to check your pay slip.
The truth is anyone can write a great resume and can show how effective of an employee they could be but the truth maybe something else. Being an employer myself (not in dubai yet) I have had to learn the hard way. So I would say if you would want to be hired as an employee then there should be some trust relationship between you and the new employer. And if you don't have the trust, this deal Shouldn't happen.
Hope it makes sense.
Mehran

·
Registered
585 Posts
Isn't this information kinda confidential? Not because of you, an employee, but because of your previous employer.
You can always get back to the new employer and tell them that your old employer does not want you to disclose any documents relevant to the way they handle their business, including salaries and employee benefits. As most of the companies actually do.

·
Registered
171 Posts
By the way, the US companies are used to checking more than that. Some go to the extent of checking the credit history of their employees.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Isn't this information kinda confidential? Not because of you, an employee, but because of your previous employer. You can always get back to the new employer and tell them that your old employer does not want you to disclose any documents relevant to the way they handle their business, including salaries and employee benefits. As most of the companies actually do.
I don't think a pay slip has any information as what kind of benefits they get. Benefits are usually not trade secrets.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have been asked to provide my pays lip for a big company in Abu Dhabi after successful interview. I got pi$$ed cause this is confidential first of all and I don't like the idea that a potential employer evaluate my future salary based on my current one. I found it very odd but the recruiter actually explained that it is a common practice in the UAE cause candidates lie and exaggerate about their current salaries. The recruiter also mentioned they want to benchmark my salary to the market value.

I provided the pay slips for a whole year without any perks or allowances. They reverted with an offer which was half of my current salary. It was insane and I declined the offer.

·
Registered
5,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have been asked to provide my pays lip for a big company in Abu Dhabi after successful interview. I got pi$$ed cause this is confidential first of all and I don't like the idea that a potential employer evaluate my future salary based on my current one. I found it very odd but the recruiter actually explained that it is a common practice in the UAE cause candidates lie and exaggerate about their current salaries. The recruiter also mentioned they want to benchmark my salary to the market value.

I provided the pay slips for a whole year without any perks or allowances. They reverted with an offer which was half of my current salary. It was insane and I declined the offer.
I forgot to mention they also asked me for my annual salary annexure :rolleyes:

I am just doing interviews at this stage so not only I think this is confidential documentation that concerns only myself and my current employer, but I think is still way too early in the process for them to be asking for this.

I have an interview tomorrow so I will tell them that I can't show them this documentation at this stage because is confidential and ultimately I still work for my current employer so can't go around sharing their confidential documents. If I am selected for the role and they insist on having copies of the slips otherwise I won't get hired, I will only give them the copies once the contract has been signed, and after showing them the originals for comparison, I will black out the name of the employer so that only the salary remains visible on the copies they will keep for their files. I think that is the best way to ensure I protect the confidentiality agreement with my current employer, and I fulfill the new employers' request to verify my current salary.

Still a bit pi$$ed off about the whole thing but sounds like a good opportunity and is a great company too, leaving aside their intrusive recruitment practices :tongue:

·
Registered
123 Posts
dizzyizzy said:
I forgot to mention they also asked me for my annual salary annexure :rolleyes: I am just doing interviews at this stage so not only I think this is confidential documentation that concerns only myself and my current employer, but I think is still way too early in the process for them to be asking for this. I have an interview tomorrow so I will tell them that I can't show them this documentation at this stage because is confidential and ultimately I still work for my current employer so can't go around sharing their confidential documents. If I am selected for the role and they insist on having copies of the slips otherwise I won't get hired, I will only give them the copies once the contract has been signed, and after showing them the originals for comparison, I will black out the name of the employer so that only the salary remains visible on the copies they will keep for their files. I think that is the best way to ensure I protect the confidentiality agreement with my current employer, and I fulfill the new employers' request to verify my current salary. Still a bit pi$$ed off about the whole thing but sounds like a good opportunity and is a great company too, leaving aside their intrusive recruitment practices :tongue:
I have also forgot to mention that I have been asked for a salary breakdown during the interview in 2 different interviews. The pay slip thing was after I have passed the interviews.

Good luck with the interview

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I'd simply share the always significantly understated "basic" component, and tell them to make of it what they will. I wouldn't even consider showing them the full package.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
No one ever asked me for proof of salary, nor would I ever show them.

In all interviews, I have been asked of current salary range (but not showing proof) and only a handful of times being asked for expected salary when I was in lower level positions.

When I am hiring, I do the same: ask for current and expected salary ranges but don't ask for proof. Half of the people actually showed salary receipts voluntarily.

In our industry, the salary is very similar between companies based on experience and locations so more about opportunities than wheel barrow of cash.

G

·
I find it odd even when they ask me my current salary, let alone showing the payslips. My current salary should be completely irrelevant and confidential.

·
Premium Member
10,204 Posts
It's so odd that this has come up. My sister in law works in HR and she just mentioned this to me over the weekend. Apparently more and more employers are requesting for payslips from their potential employees.

It shouldn't make a difference to the future employer what the person's current salary is anyway. A good company will make an offer as per the current market conditions and not based on what you are earning.

·
Registered
864 Posts
...being asked for expected salary when I was in lower level positions....
and even then, my response has been a vague load of bullcrap along the lines of "I'm sure since this is a progressive organization, your total compensation package will be competitive taking into account the value I will bring to the company, and I look forward to reviewing an offer if one is made"...

I have never thrown out a number first... not even a range... regardless of how much they push... if the interviewer keeps on insisting I give them a number, my closing response would always be along the lines of "We have spent a productive hour discussing the value I would bring to the company in significant detail, and I now look forward to see if you are agreeable to consider me for this position based on my skills"... which is a polite way of saying, your turn...

·
Premium Member
10,204 Posts
and even then, my response has been a vague load of bullcrap along the lines of "I'm sure since this is a progressive organization, your total compensation package will be competitive taking into account the value I will bring to the company, and I look forward to reviewing an offer if one is made"...

I have never thrown out a number first... not even a range... regardless of how much they push... if the interviewer keeps on insisting I give them a number, my closing response would always be along the lines of "We have spent a productive hour discussing the value I would bring to the company in significant detail, and I now look forward to see if you are agreeable to consider me for this position based on my skills"... which is a polite way of saying, your turn...
People have asked me what my salary expectation is and I actually give them a number because if that is over their budget, I don't see the point in wasting their or my time. That being said, I haven't really been offered that many jobs so perhaps I should try your approach :D

1 - 20 of 69 Posts