Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I am currently working in IT and have PR grant. I wanted to have your opinion whether it would be advisable to leave my current job and come to Sydney with some savings and search for job ( since that is where I would be settling long term ).

Are the jobs still available and how much of funds would you advise if I come alone ? ( for the duration I may be unemployed )

Kindly advise

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hi,

I am currently working in IT and have PR grant. I wanted to have your opinion whether it would be advisable to leave my current job and come to Sydney with some savings and search for job ( since that is where I would be settling long term ).

Are the jobs still available and how much of funds would you advise if I come alone ? ( for the duration I may be unemployed )

Kindly advise
Are you in Australia or outside?

Sent from my SM-N910H using Tapatalk

·
Registered
73 Posts
Ofcourse Not! Unless you like to gamble a lot. In this dire Market the worst thing to do is to leave what you have in search of greener pastures. Do more research on Joblessness in Australia right now. The real unemployment numbers are hidden by Government Jobkeeper allowance but still its around 11% which is highest in last 35 years!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi,

Kindly advise
Are you in Australia or outside?

Sent from my SM-N910H using Tapatalk
I am outside Australia . Currently in Kuala Lumpur.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ofcourse Not! Unless you like to gamble a lot. In this dire Market the worst thing to do is to leave what you have in search of greener pastures. Do more research on Joblessness in Australia right now. The real unemployment numbers are hidden by Government Jobkeeper allowance but still its around 11% which is highest in last 35 years!
I see. Those numbers are scary. I saw jobs posted in seek related to my field and wasn’t getting calls and I wondered may be it is because I am not there in Australia. But seeing the unemployment stats presented by you, doesn’t seem advisable

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I see. Those numbers are scary. I saw jobs posted in seek related to my field and wasn’t getting calls and I wondered may be it is because I am not there in Australia. But seeing the unemployment stats presented by you, doesn’t seem advisable
Recruiters in Oz are notorious for hoarding resumes by advertising non-existent jobs in portals. They sometime advertise in advance to have an early advantage and when the position doesn't materialise, the advertisement goes cold.

So, what you are seeing, may not exist in reality..! A word of advice - Bird in hand is worth two in the bush.

·
Registered
246 Posts
A few points:
- The amount of money that you need for a few months largely depends on your lifestyle. There is no constant, universal amount. E.g. if you can live in shared accommodation, that's obviously cheaper, tho shared accommodation in times of Covid might be a bit of a challenge.
- The IT job market is very difficult at the moment. Large companies (telcos, banks) have been laying off contractors and even large consultancies (e.g. Deloitte) have let some people go. It's not necessarily hopeless, but it's not going to be easy. It helps to be well prepared and have something that stands out. The lack of local experience works against you, and if there is a pool or similarly qualified individuals to choose from, you're less likely to get through to an interview.
- Looking ahead, it's always tough and possibly unreasonable to make predictions, but from my perspective it doesn't look like the IT job market is about to turn around anytime soon.

It's a risk you need to calculate taking into account all other circumstances.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I would advise to try get a job in Kuala Lumpur in a company which is represented both in your country and in Australia or at least well known. Work there for a year or so and then move to Australia. It will increase your chances of getting a job here.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts