Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
But just consider Smeggie, how many staff will be needed to run such a gigantic big retirement home? All those nurses, carers, cleaners, administrators, bursars, caretakers, maintenance men, hairdressers... All the farmers to produce the food, all the suppliers to deliver it. Sounds like a good money go round to me. Retirement homes are nice little earners for the people that run them (you'll know that if you've ever had an elderly relative in care and you've had to help with the fees).

·
Registered
'you can take the boy out of Sarf London, but you can't take Sarf London outta the boy'
2,144 Posts
You seem to manage OK Dobbie. WHat do you think?

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
But just consider Smeggie, how many staff will be needed to run such a gigantic big retirement home? /QUOTE]

I don't remember leaving school/college/university and wanting to work in a retirement home ;):confused:
Maybe not, but I thought your question was, is it sustainable? Not, will it provide Smeggie with his dream job?

·
Registered
'you can take the boy out of Sarf London, but you can't take Sarf London outta the boy'
2,144 Posts
Maybe not, but I thought your question was, is it sustainable? Not, will it provide Smeggie with his dream job?
But it would be right up his street. Maintenance - fixing doors, changing asbestos tiles etc. perfect work for a house elf.

Reactions: Colburn

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Yes, but who is going to look after conky 2. I am young and I want work in tech. Like for Apple, google IBM. Who are going to support the elderly ? :)

France is becoming a retirement home !!!!
Sorry to break it to you mate, but you are far too old for tech....stick to what you know.

Reactions: 95995 and Colburn

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroTrash

Yes, but who is going to look after conky 2. I am young and I want work in tech. Like for Apple, google IBM. Who are going to support the elderly ?
France is becoming a retirement home !!!!

Excuse me but that comment was not Originally Posted by EuroTrash.

The quotes have gone to xxxx. Please miss, Smeggie started it.

·
Administrator
53,151 Posts
What makes you say France is becoming a retirement home? And in comparison with other countries?

Yes, the population of over 65s is increasing everywhere, thanks to longer life spans (whether or not the additional years are bearable). And most countries are having problems sustaining the pension system. Allowing freer movement of immigrants would actually help that situation quite a bit, but we don't seem to be there yet and it's the same problem for other "growth" countries like the US and Canada.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Not sure why but the question posed by Smeg here made me laugh. Always something! And I'm just picturing it now being this country filled with random retirees from 'round the globe instead of a 'normal' country haha

·
Read Only
6,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not sure why but the question posed by Smeg here made me laugh. Always something! And I'm just picturing it now being this country filled with random retirees from 'round the globe instead of a 'normal' country haha
This thread certainly woke Conky up from his late afternoon nap :D

But, it is a fair question.:)

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
This thread certainly woke Conky up from his late afternoon nap :D

But, it is a fair question.:)
Thank you Dobby. My carers woke me up after my red medication. I expect you will be ‘time pressed’ soon as your wife tries to find you something to do.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
I only drink twice a day my old gollum. When i’m thirsty and when i’m not....

·
Read Only
6,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The majority of expats who move to France do so to retire.

The question remains, is it sustainable given the high unemployment in France and the large number of French graduates/young professionals who leave France to work abroad ?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.