Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My maternal grandfather as well as paternal grandmother were both French Nationals as young adults unbeknownst to them, as they qualified under the Huguenot’s right of return/nationality mandate that was written in the French Constitution before my grandparents’ birth and until 1945. The revoking of this right to return in 1945 means that my grandparents’ National Status was withdrawn in their young adult years. But, really what I am wondering is if whether when the law was still in effect, were my grandparents technically citizens? I want to know if they are French citizens in case I am able to claim citizenship by descent through them. What is the difference, if any, between the label “National” and “Citizen” in this? Thanks.

·
Administrator
49,164 Posts
There is a technical distinction between being the "national" of a country and being a "citizen" though I forget what that distinction is. For practical purposes, the two terms are pretty much the same thing.

However, to claim nationality by descent I think you would have to be able to show that your grandparents were French at the time of your parent's birth. The specific text in the old French constitution is as follows:

All persons born in a foreign country and descending in any degree of a French man or woman expatriated for religious reason are declared French nationals (naturels français) and will benefit to rights attached to that quality if they come back to France, establish their domicile there and take the civic oath.
which means that unless your grandparents actually returned to France to reside, they didn't claim their French nationality.
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 3 of 3 Posts