Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, I am looking at moving to Dubai as a auto repair/ bodyshop manager.
is there any one on here already in the trade or knows abit about it in Dubai?
and if its decent trade to be in there?
thankyou

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey, it is absolutely a wonderful trade at Dubai. So much construction work is going over there and vehicles require its perfect maintemance and it can possible through only through technical professionals like you.

·
Registered
565 Posts
If you can manage a shop that delivers a high level of customer service, sticks to deadlines, in a clean environment and does proper paint/body work then you could tailor to a niche market of MANY individuals wishing for such services.

If you are an entry/mid level shop you will be competing with 100's of halfa$$ shops providing the bare minimum in which the majority of people here are to "bling blind" to notice the difference between quality vs junk repair work.

That's just my opinion having built/restored cars for over 15 years in North America and having come here. I don't trust 1 shop in this country and all my automotive projects still reside in North America as the cost/quality/enthusiast mentality here are nothing near the same.

·
Registered
28 Posts
If you can manage a shop that delivers a high level of customer service, sticks to deadlines, in a clean environment and does proper paint/body work then you could tailor to a niche market of MANY individuals wishing for such services.

If you are an entry/mid level shop you will be competing with 100's of halfa$$ shops providing the bare minimum in which the majority of people here are to "bling blind" to notice the difference between quality vs junk repair work.

That's just my opinion having built/restored cars for over 15 years in North America and having come here. I don't trust 1 shop in this country and all my automotive projects still reside in North America as the cost/quality/enthusiast mentality here are nothing near the same.
I agree with INFAMOUS 100%...
Open a quality shop with quality customer service and you will make a fortune in Dubai.

In the U.S. they go by a labor book which fixes the amount of hours it takes to complete a job. Then of course you just multiply the shop's hourly labor rate by how many hours it should take to fix your car (based on the book) and you get your cost. Then you proceed to negotiate a bit more ;)

HERE they try to rip you off right from the start. When I first came here I was told it would take 8 hours to change my alternator in a Honda Accord... that was definitely a good joke...nice try buddy :)

·
Registered
451 Posts
HERE they try to rip you off right from the start. When I first came here I was told it would take 8 hours to change my alternator in a Honda Accord... that was definitely a good joke...nice try buddy :)
I also tend to believe dealerships are understaffed or/and accept more than their capacity.

My car is under a maintenance contract, so I don't pay for anything, yet whenever there's a minor issue that shouldn't take much time they extend the delivery time significantly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts