Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question about the IELTS General Training English test. WOuld this be accepted by the UK Embassy as part of a FIance visa does anyone know?

I would be very grateful if anyone knew the answer to this question.

Thanks in Advance.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I have a question about the IELTS General Training English test. WOuld this be accepted by the UK Embassy as part of a FIance visa does anyone know?

I would be very grateful if anyone knew the answer to this question.

Thanks in Advance.
If you had bothered to read the list of UKBA approved English tests I supplied you with in another thread yesterday, then you would know that it is indeed accepted.

teuchter

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that. I am looking at the excellent link you gave me in the other thread do you know if it has to be a 4.0 in all four sections ie Reading, listening, writing and speaking?

Or only for speaking and listening? As looking on their website it says the below

1. Meeting the requirement by passing a test

What will spouses need to do to meet the test requirement?

Spouses will need to demonstrate competence in English language speaking
and listening at a basic level (Common European Framework of Reference,
level A1).
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/s...ners-other-family/guidance-for-applicants.pdf

·
Registered
494 Posts
Thanks for that. I am looking at the excellent link you gave me in the other thread do you know if it has to be a 4.0 in all four sections ie Reading, listening, writing and speaking?

Or only for speaking and listening? As looking on their website it says the below

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/s...ners-other-family/guidance-for-applicants.pdf
As per the list I linked to above, it must be 4.0 in all four sections at level B1. Different scores are accepted for different levels of the test (check the list), but all require passes in all four sections.

teuchter

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for that, you can see how I find it quite confusing?

I have contacted a few Solicitors and they all give me different answers and UKBA when I have called them say they don't know.

Ref the English tests acceptable by UKBA:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/applicationforms/new-approved-english-tests.pdf

For the IELTS test have these requirements

Listening – 4.0
Speaking – 4.0
Reading – 4.0
Writing – 4.0

However, looking at the other webpage

state on page 4.

I have taken a test at level A1 which tested reading and writing as well as
speaking and listening skills. I passed speaking and listening but failed
to reach A1 in reading and writing. Can I still use this test?

Providing you can demonstrate you have passed in speaking and listening at
Level A1 with one of the approved test providers you can use this evidence.
We are only using tests which can show separate scores for speaking and
listening skills.
ALSO

What will spouses need to do to meet the test requirement?

Spouses will need to demonstrate competence in English language speaking
and listening at a basic level (Common European Framework of Reference,
level A1).
This suggests that if an applicant for a Fiance/Spouse visa fails the Reading and writing part of the English test but passes the Listening and Speaking this is acceptable by UKBA for a Fiance/Spouse Visa? However, this should state that this is true of all the approved English tests such as IELTS which is does not. What should be on the webpage which provides information about the IELTS

Listening – 4.0
Speaking – 4.0
Reading – 4.0
Writing – 4.0

Should state something to the effect of "please note a 4.0 or above is only required for the Listening and Speaking module of this test".

·
Registered
3 Posts
I seen exactly the same. My fiance has only passed speaking and listening and it states on UKBA website that is whats required. I printed and highlighted that to send in with the application just to cover ourselves.

·
Registered
43 Posts
My view here is that only the speaking and listening sections are required if you sit the TOEIC certificate, which is specifically listed as the appropriate test for those who want a spouse visa (check it and see that they have actually stated under the TOEIC listing "(spouses and partners)". That's because its minimum A1 pass only requires you show evidence of proficiency in English in the speaking and listening sections.

The IELTS B1 (or other test/band as per the list) is only required if for some reason you can't take the TOEIC. The B1 level (4.0 band pass in all four sections) is required because the IELTS doesn't have a lower pass level. So if you take that particular test you must get a B1 in it, and that means in all four sections. In practise they may use some discretion if someone scores lower in the IELTS reading and speaking sections (since they only really want to know if you can speak and understand), but that's just my view, so don't rely on it :).

I may be wrong, but that's how I interpret it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
My view here is that only the speaking and listening sections are required if you sit the TOEIC certificate, which is specifically listed as the appropriate test for those who want a spouse visa (check it and see that they have actually stated under the TOEIC listing "(spouses and partners)". That's because its minimum A1 pass level is an assessment of speaking and listening proficiency only.

The IELTS B1 (or other test/band as per the list) is only required if for some reason you can't take the TOEIC. The B1 level (4.0 band pass in all four sections) is required because the IELTS doesn't have a lower pass level. So if you take that particular test you must get a B1 in it, and that means in all four sections. In practise they may use some discretion if someone scores lower in the IELTS reading and speaking sections (since they only really want to know if you can speak and understand), but that's just my view, so don't rely on it :).

I may be wrong, but that's how I interpret it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I realise, but someone posted in January stating they had the same problem, so I thought I'd address it. Sorry for reposting it but I went over the 15 minute deadline.

·
Registered
47 Posts
need help regarding IELTS

early this morning, i went to one of the exam centers here in the Philippines to register for IELTS exam. when I got there, I was asked if i wanted to take the academic or general module. what module should I take for my fiance visa? please help. thank you so much!

·
Registered
43 Posts
early this morning, i went to one of the exam centers here in the Philippines to register for IELTS exam. when I got there, I was asked if i wanted to take the academic or general module. what module should I take for my fiance visa? please help. thank you so much!
Either IELTS Academic or General Training is accepted for partner or spouse visas.

They only differ in regards to the reading and writing parts of the test - listening and speaking are the same for both. For the Academic reading test, the required pass score is 12 out of 40. and for the General Training reading test (considered a little easier), the pass score is 15 out of 40.

But either is acceptable for settlement visas. If someone wished to go to university after entering the UK, the Academic test is more suitable when applying for a student place. If they are just interested in working, then the General Training test may be more useful to an employer. But the British Government itself is not concerned with these differences.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Also, you only need to pass listening and speaking

I think the listening and speaking parts will be of greater interest to the Home Office, but the minimum IELTS pass band is 4.0 for each of the 4 sections of the test.

But that's only because IELTS itself doesn't have a pass band that excludes the reading and writing parts of the test, not that the Home Office wouldn't accept such a lesser score if it were specified by the IELTS authorities themselves.

The Home Office will accept other tests that only test listening and speaking ability, so from that you can draw your own conclusions.

In my view, the mindset of the Home Office on this seems to be that they will accept IELTS results from someone who happens to have sat this test already or will be taking it anyway (perhaps for entrance to University or to get a job in the UK), or cannot find any other test to sit, but they accept lower bass scores from easier tests which also don't require you to pass reading and writing, simply because the authorities for those tests set the bar lower.

Reading between the lines, it seems clear to me that the Home Office could well turn a blind eye to IELTS sitters who don't do so well on the reading and writing parts. They just don't say so.

·
Registered
43 Posts
My advice: only do IELTS if you want to apply to university (Academic), get a job (General Training), or there is no test centre near you for one of the two easier test systems the Home Office accepts for settlement visas.

These two other test systems are the GESE (Graded Examinations in Spoken English), which is British based, and TOEIC (Test of English for International Communication), which is a US based system. Not only do both of these two other systems only require someone to pass in speaking and listening, but they're easier tests to sit for in general, AND the pass scores required are also lower.

However even the IELTS minimum requirement is low and with just a little practise, most people should get the required pass score. So if you feel ok with IELTS, by all means do it. It is overkill for settlement visa purposes, but it will certainly look good on your visa application form.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Thank you so much! You've helped a lot. We were so ready to submit all requirements, and we just found out recently that the test's a must. Will take it on the 21st of june and the result will be available two weeks later, so we're really behind schedule :( Thanks again! :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Thank you so much! You've helped a lot. We were so ready to submit all requirements, and we just found out recently that the test's a must. Will take it on the 21st of june and the result will be available two weeks later, so we're really behind schedule :( Thanks again! :)

You're welcome. Good luck! :)

·
Registered
558 Posts
I think the listening and speaking parts will be of greater interest to the Home Office, but the minimum IELTS pass band is 4.0 for each of the 4 sections of the test.

Not in each >.< i think for as long as 4.0 in listening and 4.0 speaking it should be OK >.<

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Are all the pass rates on these tests not at a similar level?

My daughter in law did IELTS does this mean there is an easier one available?

1 - 20 of 87 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.