Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I noticed that Bob Geldoff is playing at the Irish Village bar on Thursday. I am curious what the place is like to see a band. Also what time to bands usually come on stage when they play there? It says door at 7:00, but I am guessing that 11:00 pm is more realistic for the show. I don't drink so sitting in a bar with a bunch of wasted St.Patty's day folks waiting 3 hours for the band is not something of interest to me.

Cheers

·
Banned
423 Posts
You're right in your thinking, he won't be on until 10pm earliest, he usually plays a few sets though - seems to be a regular attendee at IV for paddy's day now. The stage is usually built either over the lake or in the grassy area just in front of the lake.

As I'm no fan of the IV I'll be giving it a miss.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is it really that poor a place to see a show?

Thought seeing someone in a bar might be nice as opposed to the crazy overpriced shows that Dubai/Yas tend to offer. Obviously, he is past his prime but always been a fan since back when the Boomtown Rats were still around (not to date myself).

·
Premium Member
10,204 Posts
It isn't that bad. I kind of prefer places like Irish Village to the superficial bars near the Marina that charge me AED 40/- and above for a Shirley Temple!

Not sure how much it'll cost me at IV though as I haven't been there in a while :D

Hope you have fun!

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
The IV is a nice down to earth pub, decent service and loads of outdoor seating - something lacking in Dubai. Like Pam said, better than the superficial bars and without the Brits on the piss vibe of Bar Nasty.

For gigs they put boards over the big duck pond and put up a stage at the Aviation Club side, it's a professional affair. If you like the act you'll have fun.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Is it really that poor a place to see a show?

..Obviously, he is past his prime but always been a fan since back when the Boomtown Rats were still around (not to date myself).

He's still great! (did you ever notice that he's left-handed?-- playing right-handed guitar upside-down :cool:)
I love Boomtown Rats myself and I last saw him in IV in 2010 I think (yup, he comes yearly, I suppose). He usually plays classic Boomtown Rats tunes.

·
Registered
8,891 Posts
The place actually isnt 'in' a hotel, looks a bit dirty and thus like a normal place an average person would enjoy spending time at, has people working there who dont appear to be paid peanuts, all have thus far actually understand conversations, and almost all the workers are smiling and actually seem to enjoy their job....

Is there any place better to have a band then that anywhere in Dubai???

Pammy, lets go!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.