Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I am an Australian citizen (hold a dual AU/UK citizenship, through my Scottish father), currently living in the Netherlands. My grandmother (Born Ireland, Naturalised as Australian prior to mother's birth) is still kicking.

My wife (An Australian) plans on giving birth in the next year. We would greatly love for our children to have the opportunity to live/work in the EU and understand that I *might* be able to get an Irish passport through descent (my grandmother).

Does anyone know if her naturalisation will affect this? I understand I need to obtain the documents and register with FBR, however, if her naturalisation negates my chance, I'd prefer not to pay for all of the expense associated with getting original birth/marriage certificates, applications, etc.

Thanks greatly for any info!
Adam

G

·
Complicated. I will move this to the UK board whete you will get more answers.

Where in the EU do you want to live?

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
I presume you are a British citizen by descent (born outside UK etc) so one way of ensuring your children will be British is to have them in UK. Even if they are born outside of UK, there are ways in which they can be registered as British, such as the whole family moving to UK and living for 3 years before their turning 18.

Getting Irish citizenship for yourself doesn't improve the situation much, as your wife won't be entitled to Irish nationality. The law changed some years ago and a spouse cannot become Irish through their spouse going on foreign births register (something to do with the citizenship not being backdated to their birth). They now need to be naturalised by living in Ireland for some years.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies.

We live in the Netherlands at the moment, and have been thinking about moving to Ireland after our secondment has been completed.

The reason I have been looking into an Irish passport is that, if I have one (and my entitlement is what I am trying to find out, giving my Grandmother was naturalised before my mother was born), then our Children (and all successive generations0 are also entitled to one, provided they are registered before their births). I imagine this would be invaluable for my kids (assuming we can have them, fingers crossed!).

I called the Irish embassy here in the NL and they've promised ot call me back, but they don't, of course.

Thanks again people. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
Well, using your British passport, by having your children in UK, they will become (unlike you) British otherwise than by descent and all their children (your grandchildren) wherever they are born will be British.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That would be ideal, however, I don;t think it is going to be able to happen. Wife has to complete her time here in NL (& it is highly likely the baby would be born here). Second best is an Irish passport, whereby all of our kids (&their kids) get Irish passports, provided they register with Foreign Births before they are born.

Well, using your British passport, by having your children in UK, they will become (unlike you) British otherwise than by descent and all their children (your grandchildren) wherever they are born will be British.

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
OK, try your luck with Irish Foreign Births Register. But I'm told a delay in processing of 1-2 years is common, and nothing will be backdated, so if children are born before you get Irish citizenship, they will miss the boat.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.