Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Irish passport and citizenship!

4K views 30 replies 12 participants last post by  Muddy 
#1 ·
I’m just about to request application form for Irish passport.
Are there any pro’s and con’s I should be reading up on? I don’t want to lose anything in relation to British status at least without knowing about it first!
One of my parents is Irish, I’m English, so it now seems a logical thing to do on the face of it, re brexit! Travel will be easier I assume, (for now at least) unless Schengen is suspended across the EU, very likely I feel, but are there any down sides I need to be aware of?
i.e. Will this change the status of my will when I get around to making one?
Will it affect inheritance tax, money or property I leave, or left to my self in future comparing UK to Spanish EU tax law ?

I’m still in the UK, something always seems to have stopped or delayed me for one reason or another but trying hard now get on the move!
I’ve thought about moving to Spain for such a long time it’s more than a little annoying (embarrassing) Sitting here on a summers day a few days back with enough rain to sink a battleship, but I’m close to putting my place up for sale now.
Brexit has of course complicated things, no change right now but who knows what further down the road will bring.
So the key points I can think of right now are;
What changes will an Irish passport make to my British status if any in Spain and UK? As far as I’ve read so far no difference in the UK!
I did find these threads which made for interesting reading;
http://www.expatforum.com/expats/sp...ng-spain/1224553-irish-passport-benefits.html
http://www.expatforum.com/expats/sp...iving-spain/1168785-irish-uk-citizenship.html

Under the Embassy of Ireland, Great Britain - Passport Queries it seems very clear. “Only Irish citizens are entitled to hold an Irish passport” so under that context I’m already an Irish citizen! Just without the paperwork to prove it!
I can see from the following link there is a statement about “Dual citizenship” and Foreign citizenship”
Can someone tell me how Spain interprets these 2 options, that’s even if there is an actual option as far as from a Spanish or EU perspective?
Is this even relevant as I’ll be applying for an Irish passport to just prove Irish citizenship? And I’m not apparently doing anything to change my British citizenship? Referencing; https://www.gov.uk/dual-citizenship
Reference this in regards to the EU; Getting an Irish Passport in the UK - Irish Links
“Any person who holds the nationality of an EU country is automatically also an EU citizen. EU citizenship is additional to UK citizenship and does not replace it.”

Any other advantages will an Irish/EU passport give me in Spain? It must make things easier in future! Are there lower taxes in relation to property in any way, or having a 2nd home as a rental? Able to work in Spain I know. I’m basing my reasoning around Brits being treated as non EU citizens in future.

Apart from possibly giving me a green light at passport control when landing in Spain and whizzing through while watching the majority of Brits being poked and prodded in long queues (kidding)..!
Any suggestions on a good area to rent while I’m looking for a place to buy? Any good websites for renting and buying would be appreciated?

I’m feeling home could be somewhere between Alicante and Almeria, so somewhere central for house hunting might be a good idea with around an hour from nearest airport.
Sorry about the rambling post, been away from looking at Spain for such a long time, feels like I’m starting from scratch again in some ways.
Thanx for any thoughts and insights.

See less See more
#5 ·
Seems pretty straight forward to apply, just the wait may take a while.
Never thought of having to do this, but post brexit will make things easier.
And as I renewed my current passport just before the latest version of the Biometric addition, who knows if that will make a difference to some travel destinations!

I think having an irish passport will just give you the same rights in Spain as UK passport holders currently have. You will be able to continue to use the EU passport queue when travelling to and from the UK.
You may even be able to use the same queue as UK passport holders if you wish to travel to the UK on an irish passport (although I am not sure about that).
Well on the funny side I guess I can take both passports and queue hop to the shortest line! :bounce:

Hello there. You don't say whether you're working or a pensioner. If a UK state pensioner your Spanish state healthcare costs will be borne by the UK government at least until Brexit, and, per my post below, probably/possibly after.

There has been no mention as yet as to what the position will be for UK pensioners who want to move to an EU country after Brexit.

So at the moment for Spanish state healthcare purposes it is the country where you paid the most NI contributions that matters, not your nationality.

If however you intend to work in Spain your Spanish NI contributions will cover your healthcare. Likewise you'll be OK with private healthcare insurance. If either applies to you, Irish citizenship would probably make life a bit less complicated for you.

Good luck!
I'll be working but not to start with possibly until I purchase a place and settle in, so I'll be needing private medical cover to start with at least. This may complicate things so I'll have to see if this is realistic and change my plans if not.

Thanx for the replies

#3 ·
I think having an irish passport will just give you the same rights in Spain as UK passport holders currently have. You will be able to continue to use the EU passport queue when travelling to and from the UK.
You may even be able to use the same queue as UK passport holders if you wish to travel to the UK on an irish passport (although I am not sure about that).

#4 ·
Hello there. You don't say whether you're working or a pensioner. If a UK state pensioner your Spanish state healthcare costs will be borne by the UK government at least until Brexit, and, per my post below, probably/possibly after.

There has been no mention as yet as to what the position will be for UK pensioners who want to move to an EU country after Brexit.

So at the moment for Spanish state healthcare purposes it is the country where you paid the most NI contributions that matters, not your nationality.

If however you intend to work in Spain your Spanish NI contributions will cover your healthcare. Likewise you'll be OK with private healthcare insurance. If either applies to you, Irish citizenship would probably make life a bit less complicated for you.

Good luck!

#6 ·
I was born in London. My mother was born in N. Ireland so UK. However, in 2010, I discovered that I had been Irish from birth as a result of my mother being born in the island of Ireland. I applied for my Irish PP which was issued free, as at that time PPs were free to those over 65. I allowed my UK PP to lapse and had my EU Citizen Registartion in Spain amended.

Not a single problem encountered-

My son, born in UK, is in the process of applying for an Irish PP based on the fact that his grandmother was born in Ulster. That is considerably more complcated than my application was

#7 ·
Have now hit my Irish passport, easy and those in passport department very efficient and helpful

Use it on this trip to the U.K., straight through no issues

Daughters applying for their passports a tad more complicated but not insurmountable

One my U.K. Passport lapses I'll not renew it

#12 ·
I'm not sure about UK law as regards dual nationality but I do know that the Good Friday Agreement established the principle that people born in Northern Ireland could have Irish or British nationality, or both (and, presumably, or none).

Persons born in the Northern Ireland jurisdiction have always been eligible for Irish passports both before and after the Irish constitutional clause claiming the six counties as part of Ireland was dropped.

I was born and brought up in N Ireland and opted for Irish citizenship for my first trip abroad in 1969. In those days you got the Irish passport in half the time and at half the price of the British one, hard backed too and in a gorgeous shade of green. In the event of problems with Johnny Foreigner we were advised that, in the absence of Irish consular services, the Brits would look after us. Best of both worlds, really.

#16 ·
What mess?
Thanx for the replies to specific points :)
BTW. I was referring to the PP website regarding requesting a form, not after I send it back! I really hope it doesn't take 6 months, I aim on being out of here by then!
The webform also has a bug and failed the first time and also incorrectly counts the 250 limit on text in one section. Easy to think you've sent a passport form request when in fact you may not have.
Site of that type really should send email confirmation IMO.

#15 ·
I got my Irish passport almost a year ago. Since I have only driven across Europe since then I haven't really needed it for travel purposes but everytime anyone such as bank, revenue, or health official asks for ID I produce that one now. I do not want anybody to be able to say to me in a couple of years time " You're British so you need to do x, y and z now"

Do I feel Irish? Of course not, I was born in London and have only ever been to Ireland for a weekend! However, I am very grateful that they have provided me with a means of continuing to live my expat lifestyle after Brexit and hopefully I will be alllowed to keep my purebred English OH with me as my dependent!

I probably won't need to renew my UK passport.

#17 ·
Yeah I think I'll being doing the same as far as producing my future Irish PP for anything official!
I'm also born in London, but have lived in Ireland for several years as a child. I also don't feel Irish, but never really felt English either, maybe as I was made feel very unwelcome when returning the UK with an Irish accent. :alien:

Well I hope you and others don't have any issues with their OH staying in the EU after brexit, I'm sure it will not make things easier.

#20 ·
As far as the place or date if you were born in Ireland it is irrelevant, as when it comes to Irish PP's the border is not recognised. So long as you are born on the island of Ireland you have Irish citizenship and are entitled to the PP. Also children etc. My wife is not entitled to one as she has never lived in Ireland. I think you have to have lived there for two years to get a spouses PP.

#23 ·
Yes and no, following on from the Good Friday agreement anyone born on the Island of Ireland before January 1st 2005 is by birthright entitled to be an Irish citizen... so by default before 1948!

Irish citizenship through birth or descent

Having re rad the information, my grandson can also claim citizenship. this link is the official link. There is also an online tool link where you answer questions and it tells you what you as an individual has to do

#25 · (Edited)
Apologies. I misread the post

My understanding is anyone who had been a citizen of the Republic of Ireland on 31 December 1948 and must have made a claim to remain a British subject

But

If you didn’t make a claim to remain a British subject you can apply to the Home Secretary to become a British subject if either:

you’ve been in Crown service for the UK government
you’re associated with the UK or a British overseas territory by descent, residence or another way

So not automatic, in so far as I understand the wording .... but I read your post wrong so who knows :yo::D

#26 ·
I was born in Ireland before 1948 (just) :D
I held an Irish passport until I was 22 and when I joined BOAC as a stewardess in 1968 I applied for and got (without any problems) a British passport. It is however marked BRITISH SUBJECT and not of the UNITED KINGDOM and Northern Ireland.

I currently hold dual nationality

#27 ·
I was born in Ireland before 1948 (just) :D
I held an Irish passport until I was 22 and when I joined BOAC as a stewardess in 1968 I applied for and got (withoutre there's any problems) a British passport. It is however marked BRITISH SUBJECT and not of the UNITED KINGDOM and Northern Ireland.

I currently hold dual nationality
Yes I'm pretty sure there's a difference between subject and citizen... do you still have it?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.