Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
My self and my husband are hoping to move next year to Melbourne. In realise that I will have to get through the qualification process to be entered on the Roll in Victoria, but I wondered how what is the work situation on the ground in Melbourne for solicitors. Are there many jobs out there?

Marie

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Hi Marie:

Welcome to the forum.

You do have to go through a qualification if you want to practice Australian law in Australia. As that takes some time you can also register as a foreign lawyer to practice Irish law in Australia (i.e. for a big firm with a Foreign law dept.).

Here is more info about that:
LIV Web Site - Registered Foreign Lawyers

I cannot comment on the job situation as I'm in IT myself, but I would contact the firms by phone and ask if they have a foreign law dept and make enquiries about practicing as a foreign lawyer until you have passed your Australian law qualifications.

Good luck :)

Hi
My self and my husband are hoping to move next year to Melbourne. In realise that I will have to get through the qualification process to be entered on the Roll in Victoria, but I wondered how what is the work situation on the ground in Melbourne for solicitors. Are there many jobs out there?

Marie

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you I did not know that that working in the foreign law department of a big firm was an option. It great to know that.
Kind regards
Marie

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Please do write back if this path does work for you as it would be good to know that is does actually work. Can't hurt to try :)

Thank you I did not know that that working in the foreign law department of a big firm was an option. It great to know that.
Kind regards
Marie

1 - 4 of 4 Posts