Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there im just wondering are there any other Irish familys in the early stages of planning the move. Myself my husband and 3 children are looking for the sunny life down under. we are just getting to grips with all the types of Visas just wondering whether to to with an agent or do it all. how much of a difference in cost would we be looking at?

We are most likely going to go with the employer nominated visa. I dont want to waste much needed funds if we dont have too.

Any tips would be appriciated guys

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
Welcome Lindam,

If you do a search through the posts there have been quite a few Irish families move here to Australia (well they were couples but I can't remember about the kids off hand).

Agents have different costs for different parts of the visa such as assessment or application. You can always interview a few and then see how you feel about it. They often cost several thousand pounds (sorry I don't know the pound to euro conversion) and that's before the visa fees (depending on the visa type). If you do a search on agents then the discussion or whether to use an agent or not comes up frequently and it has been discussed recently.

We went with an agent since we were running out of time for the skilled independent visa and had to get it right first time - we have no regrets about using an agent at all.

Regards,
Karen

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome Lindam,

If you do a search through the posts there have been quite a few Irish families move here to Australia (well they were couples but I can't remember about the kids off hand).

Agents have different costs for different parts of the visa such as assessment or application. You can always interview a few and then see how you feel about it. They often cost several thousand pounds (sorry I don't know the pound to euro conversion) and that's before the visa fees (depending on the visa type). If you do a search on agents then the discussion or whether to use an agent or not comes up frequently and it has been discussed recently.

We went with an agent since we were running out of time for the skilled independent visa and had to get it right first time - we have no regrets about using an agent at all.

Regards,
Karen
thanks a million Karen thats a great start im new to all this so thanks again

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
thanks a million Karen thats a great start im new to all this so thanks again
No worries - we were all new to this at some stage :D

·
Registered
18 Posts
Destination Oz - Agent

Hiya
We sucessfully applied for a skilled migration visa and used Destination Oz. We dealt solely with Mick Breen (Irish) and found the fee well worth paying. Mick will have an initial discussion with you before he accepts your case and will advise if you are wasting your time/money before you start. He was very helpful in applying for the TRA.

I would have no hesitation in recommending Destination Oz:
Destination Oz Ltd. - Home

Sinead

·
Registered
9 Posts
HI
we are an irish family with three kids also at the early stages of visa.
I believe the use of an agent is based entirely on you requirements and organisational skills and time available.
We attended the australian visa seminars recently and came away believing that the 3000aud dollars it would cost would be beter spent on the other side helping us to settle into Austalia.

Again it is down to individual choice.

All the best

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hi

Originally from Dublin we moved here in Sept 2009
With 2 children we settled in quickly,
plenty of work here and lifestyle is great
best advice I can give you
use an agent,there is only 1 in Dublin
Grace migration
very professional and quick
Julie is the lady there,
Let me know how things go,
be happy to talk to you if needed,
State sponsored is the way to go,
we all have a budget, but how quick do u want to get out here?

David & family

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks a million for the advice guys ill keep you posted. We want to get the ball rolling quickly. i have a teenage daughter who is doing her leaving cert in June 2011 so ill be here till then even if hubby has to go over first we will do it that way ill follow with the kids. Ill take a look at both agents and whats involved in doing it ourselves too. Im in college at night at the moment and time is tight but will do what is needed!!
David and Family what part of Oz are u in??

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi there im just wondering are there any other Irish familys in the early stages of planning the move. Myself my husband and 3 children are looking for the sunny life down under. we are just getting to grips with all the types of Visas just wondering whether to to with an agent or do it all. how much of a difference in cost would we be looking at?

We are most likely going to go with the employer nominated visa. I dont want to waste much needed funds if we dont have too.

Any tips would be appriciated guys
Hi ya we also just stating out with the whole process .We have got a migration Layer ,I know it more expensive but dont want to risk messing it up on our own .We are going for state sponsorship in Adelaide.As one of the girls on the forum said there is an expo on in the RDS in March definately worth going.I have 5 small children 8,6 twins 5 and a 3 year old so big move

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi ya we also just stating out with the whole process .We have got a migration Layer ,I know it more expensive but dont want to risk messing it up on our own .We are going for state sponsorship in Adelaide.As one of the girls on the forum said there is an expo on in the RDS in March definately worth going.I have 5 small children 8,6 twins 5 and a 3 year old so big move
Hi just wondering how you got making the move with 5 kids? We are a family with 3 kids 7, 4 and 2 and are just starting out in the process. We are also going for state sponsorship to South Australia. Thanks

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi
we are an Irish family hoping to move in the next 2 weeks, medicals permitting!!
I have 4 kids but a lot older 26, 20, 16, 15 and mine are split right down the middle, 26 and 16 year olds cant wait want to go now and jump at new ideas, the 20 and 15 year old are worried about sport and playing GAA in Oz. Both very good, 20 year old has ulster All Star in Hurling ( from Armagh a minor miracle) and 15 year old is in ulster schools championship.
Its a lot harder when they older, exams, frends, sport!! when babies are young they just accept.
I used a migration agent (Celtic migration) husband was not convinced at start now a full convert, worth every penny, they ring they organise on the ground in Oz. even rang my new employer. thank god I used them.
jackie

·
Registered
126 Posts
hi everyone....some of you will be familiar wit my name...lol....try to give any advise i can on de big move!! Myself,hubby and son 23 and daughter 4 moved to Adelaide,SA 3 mths ago from Ireland,both Dubs but living in celbridge,kildare for 11 yrs before we came! We use an agent ONCE...she is a registeredagent in australia (very few are in ireland)..her name is LIZ O HAGAN and is worth her weight in gold,she wont bull-**** you and we seen her once she told us wat visa to go for and de rest we done ourselves!! Its not difficult the DIAC sit takes you thru it step by step....our visa is a skilled 176,perm 5 yr one...in my opinion the best one for the entitlements ie.same rights as citizens wen u get here,you get medicare and childrens allowance plus we get rent allowance. The only thing about a job sposnered visa,yes they are quick to get but if for some reason you dont like the job or dont get on wit the boss,if u leave they only give u a short space of time to find a new job sponser before your literally kicked out...lol..our visa took from feb2011-aug2011 to get jus under 6 mths...de cost is as follows...vetassess 1800 euro...state sponsership free...visas 1900 euro...medicals 300 each for adults and 70 euro child..so 970 euro...jus under 5000 euro! Our container with everything in it another 5250 euro,but again worth it because everything is exspensive over here and wud have cost a fortune to buy it all again....hubby took 2 and half mths to find work,son still hasnt found any,again lots of jobs just not that easy to get and very laid back so u cud be waitin 6 weeks on a reply!!...I wont lie to you all and say its been easy it hasnt,christmas was so hard away from family and its an ongoing thing settling in and making new friends,we have met some great ppl,we have barbies at de weekends and meet at de beach and have dinner and drinks together,but its not like home and never will be so you have to come with an attitude of really giving it at least 2 yrs to settle and been very open to new things and ppl....everyone in de world are not like irish people...lol...if i can help in any way or if anyone has any questions plez ask,i know its daunting and dont know how im still married cos im a basket case some days...but still glad i came and am giving it a try :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.