Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi..wonder if anyone can help with this conundrum. I have broadband and phones supplied by UK Telecom...who also provide an IP address so I can use Iplayer...but there is a very limited download of 10 gigabites a month. To access the iplayer I need to connect to the VPN (dial up) connection, which allows downloading or streaming. I like watching tv late at night...so have recently exceeded my download limit...however...discovered that if I start the programme with the VPN in place...then disconnect as soon as the programme starts..it runs perfectly well without the connection....I need to know if this is still part of my allowance...or if I have discovered a ***** in the system that will be in my favour. Dont want to ask the company in case they find a way of changing it and charging me even more, I pay what I consider a huge amount already for their services..

·
Registered
81 Posts
Have been told that you end up with loads of adverts and lose the programme with some of the free ways of accessing iplayer...
it's not free, but only costs a couple of euro a month.

no adds or programme loss, the service they provide makes it look like your in the uk (or us), so you can watch iplayer on your pc/media player/phone etc.....

they run a free trial, so you can give it a go for a week at no cost.

well worth a look if you are after uk or us tv.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it's not free, but only costs a couple of euro a month.

no adds or programme loss, the service they provide makes it look like your in the uk (or us), so you can watch iplayer on your pc/media player/phone etc.....

they run a free trial, so you can give it a go for a week at no cost.

well worth a look if you are after uk or us tv.
ok thanks....if I find I am doing ok with this method I have found..(turning off the VPN) and its not costing me...then I will stay with UK Telecom..otherwise I will do as you suggest...great...thanks for the info...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi Carol,

Yes that will work - I did the same thing when I was using a VPN and a UK ISP.
Just connect via VPN, and then after you're streaming/downloading you can immediately disconnect and it will still work, not using any further allowance.

I do recommend you also consider taking up a new package for Broadband/TV/Phone with Bouyges Telecom/Orange/Free/etc out here, and then paying a few euros a month for a UK VPN as suggested by kitekid.

For instance, I pay 31,50€/month for 100MB Broadband, 500 TV channels and free landline calls to 100+ countries (including UK!).
Then I subscribe to a UK/US VPN which is £5/month and gives me access to all UK streaming and demand television (iPlayer, ITV, Channel 4, Channel 5, etc) and the same for US television with no fuss and no technical knowledge required.

If you need any further info, I'd be happy to oblige.

Kind regards,
Sam

·
Registered
7 Posts
what do you need a vpn for, just watching tv or do you need something a bit more technical ??
Hi, Just TV. Specifically Emmerdale! (for the wife, honest).

Although just realised my broadband speed may be an issue as my French Orange digibox pixelates and stutters most evenings.

I realise that FreeSat is the best option but will struggle to run a cable across the Apartment. Also no Dish's allowed although may get away with one of the flat dish's.

Any advice welcome.
Regards
Glenn

·
Registered
154 Posts
Hi,

I'm currently watching "all" UK TV channels without proxy or VPN, through an application (that probably has the proxy inside, but I don't need to "think about it"). Just run the app, choose the channel and watch.

PM me for details.

cheers,
jacques.

·
Registered
7 Posts
ok, if it's just tv your after then give this a go...

Unblock Us - smarter faster VPN

You can sign up for a couple of weeks free trial, so you can see how your connection copes with streaming from the itv site.

you can also access tvcatchup, which i think is streamed at a lower bit rate.

let us know how you/your wife gets on.
Hi,

Tried a solution proposed by another forum member but could not get past Norton!
So signed up to unblockus. My wife is happy even though the download speed is very slow. Now been told I can have Fibre Optic so waiting for that to be installed! Note to anybody signing up with Orange France, ask if you are elible for Fibre Optic installation (free), I am but was not told until I complained about the download speed.

I even get to watch Top Gear re runs!

Thankyou for your help.

Manythanks for your help and advice.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hey.

Good to hear you got yourself sorted !!

unblockus is super easy to set up and well worth the couple of euro a month it costs.

Not sure how your using it, but if your watching stuff on a laptop or pc, you could look into getting a media player to sit under your tv. You can then watch at least the catch up services (iplayer, itv etc...) on your tv.

Cheers.

Stu

·
Registered
12 Posts
That's great news!

I can also recommend Watch UK TV Abroad - ITV Player Abroad - iPlayer Abroad - How to watch iPlayer outside UK - Sponsors of Red Star (which also gives you a US VPN included in the £5/month subscription which is really good value as you can then watch streaming Fox, CBS, NBC, etc as well as the UK VPN) and I also tried Watch UK TV Abroad, The Ulimtate UK TV VPN - Free 24hr Trial which had such a good connection that I could stream everything in HD without any artifacting or buffering.

Kind regards,
Sam

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.