Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Recent college grad here, will be moving to Egypt at the end of August (2012) for about a year. Wondering about getting my Verizon iPhone 4S set up upon arrival.

Verizon has already unlocked my phone to work on Egypt's GSM network. Considering the length of time I will be there, I guess I'm interested in standard service ("Post-Paid") rather than pre-paid. I would like voice, data, and SMS abilities within Egypt; I'm not conceded about cheap calls to USA, that's what my laptop and Skype is for :D

From my research, it looks like I'm looking at Mobilnil, Vodaphone, or Etisalat in Egypt. My questions are:

1. Which is best for what I need? Like most people, I do a lot of texting and little calling. Also I use the internet a lot! But I suppose I'll be in WiFi a lot as well.

2. Since I'm only in need of the mini-SIM and the service (no handset needed), is this something that I can and should purchase via the web state-side, or do I wait until I get to Egypt?

I think those are the only two questions I'm struggling with. Thanks so much for the help, everyone!

·
Registered
454 Posts
Wait until you get there. I had Vodafone postpaid and had no problems with it (other than when all Internet and mobile service was shut down during the Revolution). My boyfriend has Mobinil postpaid with his iPhone. No problems there, either.

Sent from my iPhone using ExpatForum

·
Registered
754 Posts
Verizon has already unlocked my phone to work on Egypt's GSM network. Considering the length of time I will be there, I guess I'm interested in standard service ("Post-Paid") rather than pre-paid. I would like voice, data, and SMS abilities within Egypt; I'm not conceded about cheap calls to USA, that's what my laptop and Skype is for :D
I refuse to pay extra for the pleasure of receiving a bill, so pre-paid works for me.

Either Magic Jack or Viber apps are great for those times when you need to talk to someone but using a laptop isn't an option.

1. Which is best for what I need? Like most people, I do a lot of texting and little calling. Also I use the internet a lot! But I suppose I'll be in WiFi a lot as well.
Wait until you get here and compare plans, then you'll see what's right for you.

2. Since I'm only in need of the mini-SIM and the service (no handset needed), is this something that I can and should purchase via the web state-side, or do I wait until I get to Egypt?
Purchase it here; they're 15 LE or so. You'll have to register your number with your passport anyway, and rather than risking putting your very private information out there, do it in person.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Also, and this is important, please don't update your OS to iOS 5. Unless someone knows something I don't, it isn't compatible with any service provider, rendering the iPhone useless.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
expatagogo said:
Also, and this is important, please don't update your OS to iOS 5. Unless someone knows something I don't, it isn't compatible with any service provider, rendering the iPhone useless.
I'm using iOS 5.1.1 on an iPhone 4 and it works fine !with Vodafone !!!

·
Registered
454 Posts
Mine were both bought unlocked from Apple in the US and had OS5.

I've heard Verizon phones don't work properly outside the US when using foreign sims...

Sent from my iPhone using ExpatForum

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mine were both bought unlocked from Apple in the US and had OS5.

I've heard Verizon phones don't work properly outside the US when using foreign sims...
Are you talking about the 4S? Anyone else have this problem or can speak to this? :confused:
It was my understanding Verizon iPhone 4Ss were far superior to AT&T because AT&T refuses to unlock their customers' iPhones. Verizon cheerfully did it for me in a couple seconds.

·
Registered
454 Posts
river_traveler said:
Are you talking about the 4S? Anyone else have this problem or can speak to this? :confused:
It was my understanding Verizon iPhone 4Ss were far superior to AT&T because AT&T refuses to unlock their customers' iPhones. Verizon cheerfully did it for me in a couple seconds.
When you go to the Apple website and look where you can buy the iPhone 4s unlocked, it states that the only network it's compatible with in the US is AT&T. I bought mine in February 2012.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Hello

I just received an iPhone 4s drone the states and it was from AT&T. I put in my Mobinil Sim card that I used with old iPhone 4 and it worked with. I problem. No unlocking at all. Works fine for me.

Moe

1 - 13 of 13 Posts