Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Does anyone know if the new iPhone 5s is compatible in the UAE?

It isn't launching here yet and I'm thinking of getting it when I go home for Eid but I remember when the 5 originally came out it didn't work here....don't want to pay £££ for something that won't work :(

Thanks

Sherry

·
Registered
241 Posts
Hi

Does anyone know if the new iPhone 5s is compatible in the UAE?

It isn't launching here yet and I'm thinking of getting it when I go home for Eid but I remember when the 5 originally came out it didn't work here....don't want to pay £££ for something that won't work :(

Thanks

Sherry
Why wasn't it compatible? There doesn't seem to be any reason it shouldn't be. :confused: Mine worked (bought it in Canada)

Maybe Apple could help?

·
Registered
18 Posts
didn't work !!!!
you mean that the mobile are not working with local network providers right ?

when back to your country buy "unlocked iPhone" and it will work perfectly in UAE

·
Registered
241 Posts
didn't work !!!!
you mean that the mobile are not working with local network providers right ?

when back to your country buy "unlocked iPhone" and it will work perfectly in UAE
Yes it should work if it's unlocked. If your iPhone5 is locked, maybe there is a way to unlock it?

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The phone would be unlocked but my question is to do with the LTE Band Support and whether Du / Etisalat would support it.

·
Registered
18 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Some uae website is already advertising the 5C as "on hand" with a 150$ markup on top of the advertised price in the US ...

I suppose that the prices will become decent here even before the official local launch ...

It isn't launching here yet and I'm thinking of getting it when I go home for Eid

·
Registered
279 Posts
Model A1532 (CDMA) for Iphone 5C and Model A1533 (CDMA) for Iphone 5S would work here in UAE as they support 1800 MHZ.
BUT must be Unlocked .
Careful, UAE is a GSM not CDMA network.

5herry for your purposes a 5c/5s model working, eg. on Vodafone UK, will work here.

·
Registered
18 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Yes u r right , UAE is a GSM
also i noticed today that **** pado release the new iphone 5S
Yeah , a couple of store are releasing the phone via grey market at a significant premium and without specifying the model number , what to say : a fool and his money ....

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone for taking the time to respond :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
All 5S models are compatible with Du/Etisalat LTE bands over here.

make sure you buy and unlocked one.

PM me if you need help getting one unlocked officially.

also by stating that 5 was not working here, did you mean it didnt get signal at all or didnt get the LTE signal?

pls clarify!

·
Registered
864 Posts
...PM me if you need help getting one unlocked officially...
short of buying direct from Apple, how do you propose getting a locked phone from a carrier *officially* unlocked so soon to launch?

·
Registered
3 Posts
short of buying direct from Apple, how do you propose getting a locked phone from a carrier *officially* unlocked so soon to launch?
The imei are sent by Apple to the carrier which are stored in the carrier database ass well as Apple database.

when you unlock an iphone ''officially'(technically through iTunes), you flag the imei as Factory unlocked directly on Apple Servers.

Lots of resellers are alreasy selling unlocks for 5S and 5C on AT&T............

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
I have a UK iphone 5 unlocked - works just fine here, no issues at all. I don't understand why people would wait and get a UAE territory phone, when it won't have FaceTime of other onboard applications installed. Just get a US or UK one.

·
Registered
27 Posts
bought from jadopado and works like a charm! as long as you buy unlocked from wherever and is GSM it will work. Enjoy the new Camera, my fav enhancement!

·
Registered
1 Posts
urgent advise

bought from jadopado and works like a charm! as long as you buy unlocked from wherever and is GSM it will work. Enjoy the new Camera, my fav enhancement!
Hey good to know you are happy with your purchase. I needed your advise:

- Are you using it with du or etisalat?
- Which model is it? A1530 or A1533?
- Are you getting good LTE coverage?

Your quick response will be appreciated.

Thanks,
a2zT

·
Registered
202 Posts
Hey good to know you are happy with your purchase. I needed your advise:

- Are you using it with du or etisalat?
- Which model is it? A1530 or A1533?
- Are you getting good LTE coverage?

Your quick response will be appreciated.

Thanks,
a2zT
These are both very good questions. A shame there was no response.

Jadopado claim they have 1530, which should have good coverage here, but it would be good to have this confirmed by an end-user

Also check whether it comes with a UAE suitable plug. I have purchased from Jadopado before, then had to spend another 100aed on a suitable plug, negating any saving.

Jadopado won't confirm the plug, as the box is sealed.

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
Has anyone bought the iphone 5s from jadopado? Their website gives all the 4 model numbers, so not sure whether anyone has had problems with the LTE not being supported on the phone bought from them.
The apple store says 2-3 weeks of delivery time, and I would rather have it sooner than later.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts