Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any info on pros and cons between the 2?
Also biggest question I have, Can you plug in an external hard drive to an IPad??
Thanks everyone :)

·
Administrator
36,067 Posts
Also biggest question I have, Can you plug in an external hard drive to an IPad??
:welcome: Stacey

haven't a clue... but I've moved your question to our 'pub' where we chat about non-Spain specific stuff :D

·
Registered
31 Posts
No, you can't. I've an iPad so can't comment on Androids. Everything you want to upload, eg your photos, has to be processed via iTunes.......unless you buy the Apple connector for direct camera to iPad transfer.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Only I have had mixed feed back from friends saying you can buy a cable that connects to your ipad, then some say there is no way to connect one at all. So very confused now lol

·
Registered
22,300 Posts
You can't connect an external HD to an IPad. But that isn't really much of a drawback. You can do everything you need to via your laptop and ITunes. Plus you have a small amount of iCloud storage on your IPad and can buy more.

I would choose IPad - but I have the IPad mini version which I find more convenient size-wise. I did buy a 'full size IPad but it was too big for my little hands!

M

·
0 Posts
Can you plug in an external hard drive to an IPad??
Yes, in fact you can. Do a search using "connect an iPad to an external hard drive", and you will get many responses including a couple of YouTube videos. That said, it does not seem to be so easy & you need to be close to a power source as the iPad cannot power other devices.

The second option is a WiFi external hard drive. Here is a portable one:
Seagate Satellite Wireless | Seagate

The third option is to use iCloud.

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
I've got a very cheap Android and I can plug in a USB and a micro SD card. The USB allows me to connect an external HDD but, tbh I've found the Android not a great deal of use and prefer to stick with my trusty desktop.

·
Banned
1,348 Posts
Your stuck with Apple and what they allow you to do, its very limited so for me I'd never buy any Apple products.

There are some very good Android tablets about, some out perform the ipad and you can plug external drives in without problem and you can plug them into your laptop/PC for easy drag and drop of music/photo/video/document files.

'Cloud' storage is fine, I use it myself via skydrive and dropbox but it only works if you have internet access.

I would say go Android or if you can afford it look at the Microsoft Surface Tablet which will be available in Europe in the next few weeks; I'm getting one myself.

The Nexus 7 (7" display) or Nexus 10 (10" display) are very very good with a better display than the ipad and won't break the bank.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone for all your advice. I haven't bought one yet, thats why I have asked what is the better option. I would love an IPad but but if I can't some how plug it in to an external device to show clients their photos it will be useless to me. So keep coming the feedback as it will help make my decision. Much appreciated :)

·
Banned
1,348 Posts
Steer clear of Apple, its so 'Apple centred' its restrictive especially if your looking at importing files from Windows PC's which are obviously the most used computer system going. Ignore the 'bling' of the ipad, there are now thankfully very good alternatives.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I have a Nexus 10, it's brilliant! You can connect this to an external hard drive if you get the relevant cable, a powered USB hub, and a app called Nexus Media Importer, I picked all this up for about £10.

The Nexus 10 also has an micro HD slot so you can plug it directly into your HD TV and watch HD films on the big screen. I also use mine to stream and watch Filmon on my TV in Spain.

Only one downside you are unable to record BBCi Player on an Android but I think they are working on that one.

·
Registered
22,300 Posts
Steer clear of Apple, its so 'Apple centred' its restrictive especially if your looking at importing files from Windows PC's which are obviously the most used computer system going. Ignore the 'bling' of the ipad, there are now thankfully very good alternatives.
I have an IPad and the new IPod Classic and a notebook PC with Windows 7 and have no problems whatsoever with transferring files. I downloaded a 'Word' app for my IPad, write docs on it and transfer to my notebook or send via e-mail from my IPad. No problem with photos either.

I've never used Apple stuff before and I know there are disputes over what's best, Apple or Windows...but since getting the two Apple products I can see their attraction. Neat handy design and unlike Windows OS they seem 100% reliable. My next notebook may well be Apple.

But my experience is limited and my technical know-how even more so.

·
Banned
1,348 Posts
I have an IPad and the new IPod Classic and a notebook PC with Windows 7 and have no problems whatsoever with transferring files. I downloaded a 'Word' app for my IPad, write docs on it and transfer to my notebook or send via e-mail from my IPad. No problem with photos either.

I've never used Apple stuff before and I know there are disputes over what's best, Apple or Windows...but since getting the two Apple products I can see their attraction. Neat handy design and unlike Windows OS they seem 100% reliable. My next notebook may well be Apple.

But my experience is limited and my technical know-how even more so.
Your very obviously out of touch with Windows Mary, Windows 7 and now 8 are very reliable; your W7 laptop should be problem free? There was a time when pomme used proprietary components but these days they use more and more standard bits and bobs so your really paying a lot for the name. Add in the limited range of software, lack of games/freeware programmes and they don't add up to a good buy these days. The PC I'm typing this on blows any Apple out of the water in terms of performance and storage and it cost half of the top of the range Apple.

Strange thing is, whenever Apple are mentioned I always have images of row after row of scientologists flash through my mind.

·
Registered
22,300 Posts
Your very obviously out of touch with Windows Mary, Windows 7 and now 8 are very reliable; your W7 laptop should be problem free? There was a time when pomme used proprietary components but these days they use more and more standard bits and bobs so your really paying a lot for the name. Add in the limited range of software, lack of games/freeware programmes and they don't add up to a good buy these days. The PC I'm typing this on blows any Apple out of the water in terms of performance and storage and it cost half of the top of the range Apple.

Strange thing is, whenever Apple are mentioned I always have images of row after row of scientologists flash through my mind.
I do like my IPad Mini and IPod though, Bob, my notebook...well, it runs OK on Windows 7 and I suspect any problems I occasionally encounter are probably due to the cheap processor in my cheapo HP notebook, which cost less than 300 euros. I do believe that you pay for what you get and that there is a always reason why things are cheap.

I do think the full-size IPad is of poor design, though. Much prefer my Mini. Interestingly, my son who has his own IT business and generally works for City financial institutions dislikes Apple products intensely. He has for some reason bought a MacBook recently and constantly moans about it.

It does seem to me though that when Microsoft presents a new OS that they try it out on customers first then modify following the inevitable complaints.

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
It does seem to me though that when Microsoft presents a new OS that they try it out on customers first then modify following the inevitable complaints.
Which is why I never change to a different MS OS until they are about to replace ii, by which time all the quirks should have been ironed out as much as possible unless, of course, it is Vista. I'm still on and quite happy with XP after having happily used 3.x, 95 and 98. 97, 2000, Millennium and then Vista have all been rubbish and best avoided as for W7, W8 and anything else I haven't a clue. XP works for me and if it ain't broke I don't fix it.

PS I never trust their updates, they are quite likely to introduce something that will make your OS useless and then tell you that they no longer support so you will have to change to their newest rubbish at a cost of $XXXXX

M

·
0 Posts
Both Apple (Macintosh operating system) and Microsoft (Windows operating system) release their operating systems and associated software with known "bugs". Their problem is a simple one: they can only test the new operating systems and associated software within their company's employees, which are not enough in numbers to really address the problem that these operating systems and associated software will be run on old and new devices (different processors, different graphics cards, different motherboards, etc.). It is the millions of end users that work out the "bugs", and the Apple and Microsoft release updates based on the feedback. Both Apple and Microsoft would love to introduce perfect products, but it is just not possible.

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
Both Apple (Macintosh operating system) and Microsoft (Windows operating system) release their operating systems and associated software with known "bugs". Their problem is a simple one: they can only test the new operating systems and associated software within their company's employees, which are not enough in numbers to really address the problem that these operating systems and associated software will be run on old and new devices (different processors, different graphics cards, different motherboards, etc.). It is the millions of end users that work out the "bugs", and the Apple and Microsoft release updates based on the feedback. Both Apple and Microsoft would love to introduce perfect products, but it is just not possible.
But XP came out 12 years ago and they are still sorting out "bugs". It is a good job they don't produce OS for the computers in aircraft - they would be falling out of the sky wholesale!

I forgot - I still use Office 2003 as well!!

·
Registered
502 Posts

·
Registered
958 Posts

Microsoft are getting a hell of a lot of gripes on Windows8 on the srart menu which there is going to be an update soon so you can go back to Windows7 start menu.It must be some rig you have got there bob bob if it blows Apple out of the water you will have to post the spècs up of it.CPU,GPU's,ssd, Ram.Aircooled,liquid cooled?Always interested in peoples fast rigs.Personally be sad to see xp go myself but it's had a good shelf life and things move on like any technology.Have a nice day all.
:ranger:

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
So what will you do when Microsoft withdraw support for XP and Office 2003 on the 8th April 2014? Support ends in 2014 for Windows XP and Office 2003!
Stick with them for as long as I can, they work very well for my needs. They ain't broke so why change! I feel under no compunction to "upgrade" just to keep MS coffers topped up, I'll just leave that to those who feel the need to throw their money away (that's if they have any left after just having to have the latest, car, stereo system, the flat screen whole-wall sized Tv, etc....)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts