Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
924 Posts
Anyone know if I buy an ipad in America, would it work in UK? Worried about the power supplies etc
You will need to buy the plug adapter but so far, I haven't had any problem using mine. Don't bother with anything else though ---- I fried my blu-ray player. :(

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. My sister visiting us from the states and my 9 year old is desperate for an ipad, they slightly cheaper over there.

·
Registered
55 Posts
You can get the Ipad from the usa then just get the plug here in the UK or get the adaptor for the usa plug since the Ipad works with 110 and 240 volts just like the mobile phones do. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
756 Posts
We not only brought iPads with us and just bought new Apple UK USB plugs on amazon but I also bought a new iPad mini on my recent trip back to the USA and everything works perfect. I think I ended up saving about £100 by doing this.

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
When buying iPad outside UK, just get the wifi-only model. There are complications over 3G/4G compatibility and the model being locked to particular network.

·
Registered
33 Posts
When buying iPad outside UK, just get the wifi-only model. There are complications over 3G/4G compatibility and the model being locked to particular network.
The newest model of iPad mini (and possibly the air, I didn't check) say they will do LTE in UK (LTE in UK is a different frequency than USA and Europe), so it might do LTE. I have the original iPad mini (bought with AT&T SIM), and I get 3G in southeast England (when in range) OK with a Vodafone prepaid SIM (£10 for 3 packs of 30 days/250 MB).

·
Super Moderator
5,183 Posts
The newest model of iPad mini (and possibly the air, I didn't check) say they will do LTE in UK (LTE in UK is a different frequency than USA and Europe), so it might do LTE. I have the original iPad mini (bought with AT&T SIM), and I get 3G in southeast England (when in range) OK with a Vodafone prepaid SIM (£10 for 3 packs of 30 days/250 MB).
When you get here permanently, you might want to consider going with three.co.uk's One Plan sim only plan... £15/mo for unlimited data (including tethering). They're rolling out 4G in the coming weeks (London and surrounds to start, more cities in the New Year) and won't be jacking their tariffs once it's rolled out.

Reactions: PianoMan2112
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.