Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I are retired Canadians (I am also a British citizen) living in Costa Rica. We are researching the possibility of moving to Spain but the newish law that says we have to declare all our overseas assets has me worried. What is the current situation on that? Has it been repealed? Is there any sign that it might be? Are people complying or leaving Spain rather than comply?

·
Registered
746 Posts
What is the current situation on that? Has it been repealed? Is there any sign that it might be? Are people complying or leaving Spain rather than comply?
Hello and :welcome:

There's a fairly recent thread on this subject, I strongly suggest you have a read through it and it should answer your questions fully.

At the moment it's for information gathering purposes only. They are not taxing any of these assets. What they do in future however is something else.

The key then during these uncertain times is to build in flexibility. If you get yourself into a position whereby you can relocate relatively easily (ie don't have property to sell) and they do introduce taxation on these assets you can get out of Spain fairly quickly and painlessly.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Thank you zenkarma. I am new to this forum. How can I find the thread you mentioned?
There's a search function on the second bar from the top where you can put in keywords and do a search for the subject you're looking for. Or you can simply browse through the pages of threads by simply clicking on the page numbers shown at the bottom of the screen.

To save you searching for it, click on the link below:

http://www.expatforum.com/expats/spain-expat-forum-expats-living-spain/145943-merged-declaration-overseas-assets-spanish-tax-authority.html

It's a fairly long thread, but it's worth reading through.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts