Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
8,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Rules - You can only post one time in this thread. Do not comment on someone elses post. If you want to discuss something that is in said thread, please start a new thread to discuss that topic/hobby/origin/etc.

Maybe this will allow the forum lounge to be utilized for a number of topics that will draw more people to discuss these off topic concepts/ideas/stuffs.

Please do not go into any side conversations in this thread. Keep it to just one introduction/about me post.

Reactions: stewart

·
Registered
52 Posts
Expat for about 20 years, have lived in about 12 countries, currently in Qatar, not one of the better places to be in, hoping to get back to Asia, preferably Thailand asap.

I paint, read, garden and shop (Well, I AM a woman ;) ).

·
Registered
8,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Not a native Texan, but I got there as quickly as I could :D I am a military brat who had to move around a great deal throughout my youth. Diverse background, large family that incorporates a number of nationalities and 'races'. I am an early 30 something who ended up single after over eight years in what I thought was forever and decided a change was in order. After shadowing a doctor in my fourth year, I decided medical school wasnt going to be for me and now want to continue my education in aquatic biology. I find myself in a foreign land paying off school loans and setting myself up for my masters when I go home. I choose the UAE from the others as even though I make less here then most other jobs I could have chosen, I heard great things about Dubai and thought it would be enjoyable. I am not in love with the place, putting it mildly. I lived in Germany for four years during my teenage years and LOVED that. Looking forward to going home and never leaving the cocoon of the USA except for short vacations.

At home, I am a dog person (St Bernards - rescue, showing, obedience, competition), love golfing, active in the marine aquarium/society (started one here in the UAE as nothing like it was available), but the most defining thing about me is that I am a biker. Participate in charities and foundations that revolve around the motorcycle community.

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
Originally a South Londoner (pronounced soufff :D) but lived in Australia for nearly 3 years and recently became an Aussie citizen. My Mum is English and my Dad is Jamaican and I married an Irishman and we have many other nationalities in the family through cousins etc. Most people think of us as the United Nations (although we tend to argue less :)).

Originally I was an electroencephalography technician (measuring people's electrical brain waves) and you can imagine how exciting that was to talk about at parties. It took me a lot of practice just to able to say and write it! :D So of course I moved in IT (even less popular at parties) and have been programming for about 20 years now and am moving away from it. I'm also a life coach, design websites and provide education on personal finance (but I'm not an advisor!).

In my 'spare time' I'm a property investor, landlord, share option trader and always looking out for other investments that offer a good return.

As for organisations I'm a Rotarian and I am involved with charitable work through that (I'm off to a remote Fiji village soon to help build an school ablution block and will not have any outside access like the internet for 2 weeks :eek:) and I'm a Board member of a local Women in Business network.

To unwind I do belly dancing and bollywood dancing and I love reading science fiction books (big Star Wars and Discworld fan). Sometimes I try to pretend that I'm not a geekette :D

Reactions: Jynxgirl

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
I'm from sussex, England. 2nd Marriage, five children, the two youngest, daughter 13 and son 15 are living with me in Spain, the older ones, three daughters are grown up working and living in the UK. My husband commutes to the UK where he owns a multi media installation company and hifi shop. I'd like to work here but my language skills and the lack of work here prevent me. In the UK I was a nurse prescriber, I also helped to run the local out of hours doctors service! I used to sing in my husbands band in my spare time in England, but I've probably done them a favour moving to Spain!!!!!!!

Jo xxx

·
Premium Member
10,204 Posts
Originally from Mumbai, India; I've been in Dubai for almost 11 years now. Moved here in 1999 for a more comfortable life and hope to be able to move on to a more stable place within the next few years. I'm 32, recently divorced and have an adorable (boisterous) 2 and a half year old son who will be starting school this September. I work for a multinational hospitality company heading PR and Events for the Middle East and Africa region. I love to sing (try to sing!), dance, travel and pretty much enjoy life and everything it has to offer.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I'm 37, an English teacher and have been in Dubai for 9 months (and am enjoying it so far). Have lived in most parts of Britain, most recently London, but don't tend to stay anywhere longer than 3 years. Studied at Swansea, Lancaster, Texas and London Universities, became a teacher after trying numerous other jobs (agriculture, catering, banking, advertising) and realising that I was no good at any of them. I come from a family of teachers on both sides. Married for nearly 2 years now and Mrs. S is still by far the best thing in my life. Like reading, writing and playing guitar. And drinking. The latter possibly a little too much. Have travelled a lot, most recently Nepal. Am going to India for a month soon and am very excited about that. Hope to move on to somewhere in SE Asia after Dubai, most likely Vietnam but maybe China.

·
Administrator
48,515 Posts
Spent my first 41 years in the US, but after an 11 month stint in the UK, decided I'd try my luck in Europe actually using the languages I spent all that time learning back when. Spent nearly three years in Germany and now just passed the 15 year mark here in France, where I guess I'll stay.

An accountant by trade, I'm now chief paper pusher for the computer services company DH (French) and I run out of our home. In our "spare time" we have a big vegetable garden, a couple of donkeys, a couple of cats and a big aquarium stocked with fish and snails. DH is a ham radio operator and I am considered one of the "actives" in our local AVF (a welcome group for newcomers to the area). Had a rather tough first few years here in France and am hoping to help others avoid what I went through. But something worked, as I took French nationality a few years ago.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I'm 21 been in Dubai for 2 years, started in London.

Only here for money - want to do my Private Pilots License and my ski instructor course after that I will move to Mauritius or Thailand.

Apart from Skiing and Flying I have taken up scuba diving which is awesome.

·
Registered
5,195 Posts
I remember your threads Marc, when I was still back home you were asking for advice about moving, and your mom was using your forum account to express her concern about you :p sounds like you've done well!

·
Registered
5,195 Posts
My name is Isabel, and I am a chocoholic.

Moved to Dubai a year and a half ago with my ex, but we didn't make it (it was not me, it was him!!!). But I already had a job and new friends and was living by the beach and making much more money that I would be making back home and working by far much less so I thought ok I'd give it a go, and here I am a year and a half later, same job, same great friends, but made some more, and lost a few too, still going to the beach, still making much more money than I would be making back home and working by far much less, and wondering how will I be able to cope with "normal" life again ever, lol. I am 34, single (and loving it, because turns out, I need a lot of "me" time), love to read, watch movies, travel, sleep, eat yummi food, sleep more, chocolate, more chocolate, spending time with my awesome friends, if it involves yummi food even better, I meditate every day (is not boring, I promise), and sometimes after meditating I like eating half square of dark chocolate, before I go to bed for more sleep. I like to keep things tidy and orderly and I don't like it when the stools in the pantry are not aligned in a perfect line and the seats turned in a 45 degree each. I am a happy Dubai expat and right now I would not like to be anywhere else (perhaps Miami but then the IRS would be taking my hard earned money away from me so no no).

:peace:

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I remember your threads Marc, when I was still back home you were asking for advice about moving, and your mom was using your forum account to express her concern about you :p sounds like you've done well!
Lol I know, I told her to not get involved but she couldn't resist! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Hi,
My name is Stewart.
I am from that place where all the convicts were sent to, have no idea what my forefather did to end up there, probably stole a loaf of bread, but more than likely stole a case of beer.
I am what we call a heinze57 breed, lots of mixtures, in other words a mut, if you are talking dog world.
My dads history is Irish and my mums history is Swedish, what that makes me, I have no idea.
I have worked in numerous countries, some of these are Thailand, New Zealand, Mexico, Indonesia, Malaysia and of course Australia. Oh I forgot UAE cause that is where I am now :).
I lead a boring life of working, working, more working and going out to have a good time.
I tend to get led astray easy on sites like this and sometimes get in trouble with Mods, but that is all part of having a good time and letting off some steam, so I think that it is ok cause I can be serious and sensible to. Well I try to be. At work I have to be serious and responsible at all times so I need to be a little out there in my own time.
Please do not hold that against me as I am sure those that I met face to face from this forum are all in a similar situation.
Any way back to topic; I have been in the UAE about two and half years now and do enjoy the place (except summer and anyone that says different is a liar I beleive), I do not enjoy watching the bus loads of labourers leaving sites to go back to their camps, but thats life here.
I do enjoy doing my own gardening and cleaning even though I am doing some poor ****** out of a job.
I love scuba diving and was a PADI instructer but I let that lapse due to my full time employment and have a masters 'IV' ticket for skippering vesssels, so now I just enjoy the diving (no students to look after, much better).
I love my boats cause I love fishing, but dont own one out here (so if anybody does feel free to call me :) ).
I just a normal person that loves having a good time.
Any way there is more but you will have to meet me to find out.

See thread:
Brunch Double Decker Fri 14 May

·
Banned
6,690 Posts
hello,

My name isn't Andy Capp but because the cartoon character is very much like me then I'm happy to be called him.

I've been in UAE 5 years now, I started here as European Sales Manager for Software integration sales with the IT division of Emirates. Prior to that I worked in The City (There is only one "The City") with numerous banks and other financial organisations. Software and IT bores the pants off me.

My hobbies here include Snakes and Ladders and I am practising as much as I can to be successful and maybe even an under 60 world champion. I thank you all for you kind support.

I love the desert here, it's the most magical part of the country, the desert nights are truly amazing.

I'm divorced (twice) and have had some very interesting times here - some of you know what i mean....

I hate injustice here, I do work with certain charities to help those who haven't had the breaks that a lot of us have had.

That said I believe manners cost nothing and if you don't have them, well to me you're not worth my time.

I love watching interactions between people, pushing people outside of their comfort zones, sometimes even arguing against them to see how far i can push them before they crack, making them question their beliefs, I play devils advocate a lot, Andy and me are different people - so I'm schizophrenic too i guess!

Just to finish, I can also be somewhat sarcastic, but if you ever get to know me personally, you'll find a slightly different Andy....

I love cooking - and I can cook very well, I don't hate anything or anyone, and I love me, if you don't, well get over it....

·
Banned
1,220 Posts
hello,

My name isn't Andy Capp but because the cartoon character is very much like me then I'm happy to be called him.

I've been in UAE 5 years now, I started here as European Sales Manager for Software integration sales with the IT division of Emirates. Prior to that I worked in The City (There is only one "The City") with numerous banks and other financial organisations. Software and IT bores the pants off me.

My hobbies here include Snakes and Ladders and I am practising as much as I can to be successful and maybe even an under 60 world champion. I thank you all for you kind support.

I love the desert here, it's the most magical part of the country, the desert nights are truly amazing.

I'm divorced (twice) and have had some very interesting times here - some of you know what i mean....

I hate injustice here, I do work with certain charities to help those who haven't had the breaks that a lot of us have had.

That said I believe manners cost nothing and if you don't have them, well to me you're not worth my time.

I love watching interactions between people, pushing people outside of their comfort zones, sometimes even arguing against them to see how far i can push them before they crack, making them question their beliefs, I play devils advocate a lot, Andy and me are different people - so I'm schizophrenic too i guess!

Just to finish, I can also be somewhat sarcastic, but if you ever get to know me personally, you'll find a slightly different Andy....

I love cooking - and I can cook very well, I don't hate anything or anyone, and I love me, if you don't, well get over it....

That was Andy writing this post ))

I am Ella... I am not blonde )) I am in UAE since December 2005, I am a mother to a beautiful and adorable baby girl who will turn 2 in September. I love life too much and I am not scared of death. I am not fake, I am real from head to toes.

That's all. I don't talk about myself more than that cuz most of people anyway make their own judgement so I let them.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Ok...well Oh! is not my name but my initials :D

I am originally from Pakistan and for the past couple of years have been traveling to Dubai very very frequently. 3 months ago I finally decided to make the move here and got my residency processed. Due to immense traveling (just came back from a sudden trip to Malaysia) at this point in time and the fact that my wife (of 11 plus years) does not want to leave her job back in Pakistan (She's a senior banker) until she gets one here, I have not fully settled here but hopefully in the coming few months I will be able to. I have three very adorable sons who are the love of my life and I would practically do anything for them. The eldest is 10, the middle one is 9 and the youngest is 8.

Parents live in the States, In-laws in Canada (so I am a happy man). Mom's family side is from India but my father's side (although my dad was born in Pakistan) my ancestors are from Russia.

I am 36, a business grad in marketing. Started my career with Brand Management for an American Company and then went to head the marketing division for a cellular company for a couple of years. In 2003 decided to say bye bye to the 'suit and tie' world and started my own ad agency back in Pakistan. Built up a 15 million dollar company in 3 years that rose very fast but then went downhill at a faster rate because of bad management from one of my partners.

Always had this creative streak in me and a love for productions and entertainment (did a lot of theatre and had my own band in the 90's) made me fall into my current line of work. Back in '08 left my ad company and took up writing and building entertainment content. Joined hands with a leading animation and productions company and gave birth to their entertainment division. Got a comic book ready to be fired, some board games, just finished writing and directing my first animated Television serial which is going to be aired/launched in Algeria, Jordan, Lebanon, Tunisia and Iraq end of this May/beginning of June. Currently besides monitoring the production of this serial I am busy finalizing the concept of my first animated film which I am aiming to release end of 2011 or early 2012.

As a person, I love cars, I love cooking, I love watching tv/movies/TV serials (big fan of Smallville, Stargate stuff, American Idol, Heroes etc.) and I watch a lot of toons (especially the DC and Marvel stuff), I am a big music buff, I love shopping and going out and did I mention I love cars. I love to write (as you can see here), On the forum I may appear very witty but I am in reality quite a quiet person or atleast appear to be in my first one two appearances (as some fellow forum friends witnessed recently). Once I am in my comfort zone, then the yakking away begins and you have to put a tape on my mouth to keep me shut. I do not drink and consider myself the designated driver but that doesn't stop me from getting high...good company and good ambience can me get more drunk than anyone else in the group.

N

·
0 Posts
After a bit of a lapse, I'll continue this thread:

I've been in Dubai since January 2010, before that I was in Shanghai, China for 2 1/2 years. I also lived in London for nearly 4 years from 1998 - 2002. I also lived in Indonesia for a while when I was a kid. Other than that, my life has been spent in Canada, and have lived in several cities there.

I'm married with a nearly 20 year old son who is living in Shanghai and I really miss him! :( but I will get to see him this summer :)

I'm a massage therapist, fitness consultant and nutritionist and I love my work. My other careers before this were an insurance claims adjuster, and a counsellor in a shelter for abused women. My hobbies are swimming, cycling, running, music, yoga, reading, having fun. I love to laugh and I have a pretty good sense of humour.

Enjoying Dubai so far and am glad to have the opportunity to see this part of the world.

Enough about me! Someone else post here please cuz I'm interested in learning about you!

1 - 20 of 87 Posts