Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Dear Entry Clearance Officer,

My relationship with XXXX began in late August and early September of 2011. We had met through mutual friends in July 2011 while I was in the UK for a conference. Our relationship was based around video chats via Skype and FaceTime as well as emails. Each trip to the UK after my first in July 2011 I stayed with XXXXX and his family. His first trip to visit me in the US was October 2011. He met my parents for the first time in Florida in April 2012.

I was able to travel more conveniently more often to the UK than XXXX to the States because I was a student for the majority of our relationship. This gave me the freedom of days off from classes as well as the University scheduled breaks. The longest trip, May to August of 2012, XXXX and I got a taste of life together. We spent every day together, with our dog, and grew mutually into what has become our future. With a surprise trip and engagement to Paris in June 2012, we sealed the deal on spending our lives together.

On 5 September 2013, through a marriage visa, we wed at the Register Office in Reading, UK with two witnesses: XXXX's longtime close friend XXXX and XXXX’s brother XXXX.

Throughout our relationship the long emails and Skype sessions have shortened. Apple iPhones allowed us to use their iMessage to send messages for free and on the go without being glued to our laptops. It very much shortens the distance of the Atlantic with just a few clicks on the iPhone. We have a superb calling plan that allows our house phone at XXXXXX to call a US landline for free for one hour and we have often taken advantage of that. We like to use FaceTime whenever we get some simultaneous free time.

While in the US we love to take the short drive to the Florida Keys and enjoy the beach with my parents. We’ve been to New York City as well as New England and loved exploring the cuisine and difference in climate and scenery. My love for photography and XXXX’s love for cooking keep us wanting to see and travel more and more.

XXXX and I decided to live in the UK due to his job stability and my growing ties to our community. In the UK we enjoy taking our dog on long walks in Windsor Great Park, cooking, having a night in, popping over to a friend’s, or making dinner at XXXX’s parents house for the whole family. We often combine our interests, as I love to take photos of his food creations. He’s got me hooked on British television programs and I’ve got him learning American football. We are excited to grow and, in the future, add to our family in the UK.

Upon approval of my settlement visa, my name will be added to existing bills such as the lease agreement and utilities. I do plan on working if and when I am granted a visa. I do not have any perspective employment opportunities, as they require proof of a visa.

- Should I sign it with my name as well as address, phone number, and date?
- Should I add the proposed flight details?

Thanks everyone!!

·
Super Moderator
5,180 Posts
Sounds fairly good to me.

Letter should be signed at the bottom and your address should be at the top of the letter in Business Letter format.

No need to mention flight details in the letter but be sure to include a proposed itinerary as part of your supporting documents package.

One small niggle is in the last line of your letter and could/should be corrected as follows:

...I do not have any prospective employment opportunities,...

Good luck to you and congratulations on your marriage!

·
Registered
56 Posts
I agree with WestCoastCanadianGirl's reply, however, I don't think that it would be necessary to supply a proposed itinerary. We (my husband and I) are under the impression that doing so suggests you know your visa will be returned, and in a specific timeframe. Our lawyer was okay with us suggesting that I'd optimally like to be back with him before the new year, but we didn't suggest anything about a specific flight date/time.

·
Super Moderator
18,064 Posts
I agree with WestCoastCanadianGirl's reply, however, I don't think that it would be necessary to supply a proposed itinerary. We (my husband and I) are under the impression that doing so suggests you know your visa will be returned, and in a specific timeframe. Our lawyer was okay with us suggesting that I'd optimally like to be back with him before the new year, but we didn't suggest anything about a specific flight date/time.
Your logic doesn't make any sense. You don't need a specific flight, date and time. You simply need to work up an itinerary on something like Expedia and print it out. They are simply looking for an example of a flight you could take so they have an idea of when you would like to travel. There is no guarantee that your visa will be issued by that time. In fact, UKBA advises you not to book anything before your visa is issued.

To the OP, include an example of an itinerary around the time you hope to travel. I'm guessing everyone on here who has had a successful application has included one.

·
Registered
39,079 Posts
I would cut out the waffle about iPhone and FaceTime - just stick to simple facts about keeping in touch. Also about where you went together and walking the dog. You aren't writing a travel and relationship blog but a simple factual statement about how you met, how you grew closer and when commitment was made. What you can add is about things that unite you, such as shared interests, beliefs and philosophy, such as commitment to green issues and animal welfare.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you everyone for your input. I have a good feeling about my application. Just need to take a step back and realize what's important: subsisting relationship, enough money, and a plan. Really thankful for this site!!

Ashley

·
Registered
56 Posts
Questioning the need for sample itinerary

Since nyclon suggested that there is a need for including a sample itinerary, we're now wondering if we should include that. Our lawyer never mentioned this, and so now we're curious.

Joppa, what is your take on this? It just seems unnecessary, but definitely easy enough to do as nyclon has suggested to go onto a site like Expedia or Travelocity and print out a sample itinerary. If I'm applying for a visa, that is obvious that I will have to book flights after I've received my passport with the visa. I just don't understand what it would show to Home Office if we print out a sample of a flight itinerary.

Thanks so much!

·
Registered
924 Posts
Since nyclon suggested that there is a need for including a sample itinerary, we're now wondering if we should include that. Our lawyer never mentioned this, and so now we're curious.

Joppa, what is your take on this? It just seems unnecessary, but definitely easy enough to do as nyclon has suggested to go onto a site like Expedia or Travelocity and print out a sample itinerary. If I'm applying for a visa, that is obvious that I will have to book flights after I've received my passport with the visa. I just don't understand what it would show to Home Office if we print out a sample of a flight itinerary.

Thanks so much!
I don't remember any posts where an itinerary wasn't sent. You have to specify an expected travel date on your application, so just find an appropriate flight and print out the saved itinerary. I just happened to use Expedia, since it had the cheapest flight.

I wouldn't want to gamble any suspicion on omitting such a simple item.

·
Registered
56 Posts
You're right!

I wouldn't want to gamble any suspicion on omitting such a simple item.
Thanks so much for your reply, WaterDragon. You're totally right. It's easy enough to do, this is just the first we've heard of it, and if that's what the masses are doing, we'll get on board!

We really appreciate all of the advice! Thank you very much for taking the time!

·
Registered
39,079 Posts
Yes, sample flight details are required. Reason? To show you have a concrete plan short of paying for the flight.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.