Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Flying over for an interview next Monday 23rd to L'Isle Adam, north of Paris.
Does anyone have any hints and tips that may be useful.
Thanks
Colin

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
We will try to help, but a few more details would help.

Is it English or French. Is it a "French" company or an "international" company?

If it's French and in French, I can't help. But I have helped Fr business and MBA students prepare for interviews in English for jobs in UK and US. I've got some hand-out material that might be helpful.

DejW

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We will try to help, but a few more details would help.

Is it English or French. Is it a "French" company or an "international" company?

If it's French and in French, I can't help. But I have helped Fr business and MBA students prepare for interviews in English for jobs in UK and US. I've got some hand-out material that might be helpful.

DejW
Thanks. sorry, its an interview for a job at a golf course, so it will probably be quite informal.
I spoke to the Head Greenkeeper on the phone and he speaks English but it would be good if I could speak a bit of French.
My French is quite limited at the moment to meeting and greeting, some phrases and some situations.
Thanks
Colin

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Send me a pm with your email address and I'll send you a student handout that MAY be of help. Although from what you say it might not be a structured interview.

DejW

·
Registered
227 Posts
Colin

The student advice from DejW will be very helpful I'm sure. Just a couple of less structured thoughts from me in terms of things I've noticed regarding differences in job interviews between France and the UK

Things to stress in the interview
Your qualifications - in France these are relevant throughout your career rather than becoming progressively less interesting over time, as is the case in the UK. Might be good to bring any certificates etc and perhaps have the text translated
That you're open and keen to learn - especially the language - and ideally that you have thought about any other areas you need to strengthen and with which you'd like their support, maybe including cultural differences between French and English approaches to the job for example
That you love France and the french culture - the French are rightly very proud of their country and culture and you'll typically get a smug response implying "of course you do, it's great isn't it!" ... but nevertheless, it'll be appreciated

Things to ask in the interview
How the company encourages the team ethic? - also known in France as "le collectif" and French colleagues typically like to see that any 'Anglo-Saxon' candidates care about the teamwork angle and won't be too independent / isolationist
What opportunity is there to get involved in the organisation's wider relations with the local community? - this may be a moot point as a golf club has necessarily a close relationship with the community, but it's anyway a point for some consideration

Would you post something after the interview to let us know how it goes?

L'isle d'Adam would be a good area to live and work - best of luck !!

Rick

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rick8 said:
Colin

The student advice from DejW will be very helpful I'm sure. Just a couple of less structured thoughts from me in terms of things I've noticed regarding differences in job interviews between France and the UK

Things to stress in the interview
Your qualifications - in France these are relevant throughout your career rather than becoming progressively less interesting over time, as is the case in the UK. Might be good to bring any certificates etc and perhaps have the text translated
That you're open and keen to learn - especially the language - and ideally that you have thought about any other areas you need to strengthen and with which you'd like their support, maybe including cultural differences between French and English approaches to the job for example
That you love France and the french culture - the French are rightly very proud of their country and culture and you'll typically get a smug response implying "of course you do, it's great isn't it!" ... but nevertheless, it'll be appreciated

Things to ask in the interview
How the company encourages the team ethic? - also known in France as "le collectif" and French colleagues typically like to see that any 'Anglo-Saxon' candidates care about the teamwork angle and won't be too independent / isolationist
What opportunity is there to get involved in the organisation's wider relations with the local community? - this may be a moot point as a golf club has necessarily a close relationship with the community, but it's anyway a point for some consideration

Would you post something after the interview to let us know how it goes?

L'isle d'Adam would be a good area to live and work - best of luck !!

Rick
Thanks to everyone for advice, interview went well, got offered job yesterday, decision time now, need to find somewhere to live and check out schools in the area.
Thanks
Colin

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Colin

Congratulations! Now the hard work starts - moving countries is never easy, even more so with "trailing spouses" and children who may not share your excitement about the new job.

Feel free to ask questions - as you have already found out we have a wide range of opinions, backgrounds, experience etc.

I'm interested to know how the interview went. I've taught interview techniques for UK / US jobs in France . There is a range from "friendly chat and discussion of points of interest" to the full monty of a psychological analysis where one feels totally naked and forced to say things that you would rather not (the late David Frost was a good example of a master of this technique, as was Richard Dimbleby)

Donc, bienvenu en France! DejW

Thanks to everyone for advice, interview went well, got offered job yesterday, decision time now, need to find somewhere to live and check out schools in the area.
Thanks
Colin

·
Banned
6,806 Posts
Congrats Colin.

As Dej says, now the fun starts ... ;)

·
Registered
227 Posts
Yes many congraulations !! I've been there a couple of times as it's not too far and would have thought it will be a good place to live

Best, Rick

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The interview was very informal.
We took a drive round the course in a buggy, and just chatted on the way round, and had a look round the maintenance sheds etc.
Quite relaxed and friendly.
Colin

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.