Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
We will be moving to Laurens in Sept and will need Internet, Wifi, telephone line and English tv.
Can anyone inform of a good company that we can purchase it from.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
I use SFR some orange some Boygues.The best thing to do is to speak to neighbors to see what the broadband is like as if you are miles from the exchange you may not want TV you may e etter with satellite TV;I assume you already have a landline to the house,if not satellite everything may be a god option.Personally I would do a trawl of he various telecom shops to see what they have on offer

·
Administrator
49,823 Posts
I'm not sure if you'll find everything you're looking for in a single provider package. For Internet, you should, as Crabtree says, check with neighbors for what they have and how satisfied they are with it. The most common sources are Orange, Free, SFR, Bouygues and a couple others. (You can check out their offerings online for an idea of prices, etc.)

For television outside of the larger towns, many people go with satellite TV - and for English language television, that may be your only option. More and more of the CanalSat channels show US and UK series in VM (basically original language with French subtitles though you have the option of watching in VF (dubbed into French). Otherwise, you may want to consider a Sky satellite set-up.

Another option is Netflix, where you can get English language programs in the original language and turn off the subtitles altogether. However, the selection on Netflix here in France is not nearly as extensive as the UK or US versions. (For those, you need a VPN set up and even then, they periodically cut off known VPNs when they discover folks using them.)
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
737 Posts
I presume you investigated the ADSL quality available when you were purchasing the property , bearing in mind it affects the value now ; in the remote chance that you haven't go to

dslvalley.com

and put in the phone number of the property or one nearby and it will tell you what is available , also list most of the ADSL offers available ...wifi is standard with ADSL now ; all the phone lines belong to Orange whoever you go to

uk TV , most go for satellite , a proper Freesat branded receiver or pretend to Sky that you are uk resident if there is something you must have from them and are willing to pay

welcome

1 - 6 of 6 Posts