Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, am looking to relocate to Southern Spain coast at some point within the next year and run a business from the rental place. It would most likely be Barcelona or South along the coast from there, my query is really about any peoples view on the major ISP providers and their reliability, as this would be core to me operating from out there. At the very least I would need a back up option should there be problems.

Is it similar to the UK or worse etc?

Many thanks

Rob

·
Registered
6,024 Posts
Hello, am looking to relocate to Southern Spain coast at some point within the next year and run a business from the rental place. It would most likely be Barcelona or South along the coast from there, my query is really about any peoples view on the major ISP providers and their reliability, as this would be core to me operating from out there. At the very least I would need a back up option should there be problems.

Many thanks

Rob
It's far worse. In major cities you should be OK getting fibre optic and therefore should be able to get in excess of 20Gbs.

In smaller towns along the coast, it's really in the lap of the gods as to what you will be able to get.

Spain is way behind UK in terms of ADSL/Broadband infrastructure.

·
Registered
834 Posts

Many thanks

Rob
Where we live there are only three options: Wifi, mobile or satellite. We don´t even have landlines for a telephone! Our local Wifi is hit and miss for reliability and the maximum available download speed is 6 mbs. Mobile is a joke - we tried it for a year and could never stay connected for more than 30 seconds! For the last three years we have used satellite (Tooway - www.europasat.com) and this has so far proved totally satisfactory for our needs. 20 mbs download, 6 mbs up, but there are caps on the amount of data you can download. Our tariff gives us 20gb a month (although no limit between 11pm and 7am). We have two laptops and two smartphones and are always online. We also download UK TV and have video calls and have never gone over our limit.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks all for your responses, Im not so concerned with having the 'speed' as such, moreover the 'reliability' - this would be for:

Conference Calls (Phone)
Internet Calls
Skype video type meetings
Online Collaboration Tools use (less demanding)

So as you say BB is ideal but I could get away with less than 20 - indeed where I live people manage fine on 5, its more my concern that 'Services are UP' and not failing all the time. Obviously, where the signal is strong when it works is preferable but is it a reliable service in terms of UPTIME?

Rob

·
Registered
834 Posts
Thanks all for your responses, Im not so concerned with having the 'speed' as such, moreover the 'reliability' - this would be for:

Conference Calls (Phone)
Internet Calls
Skype video type meetings
Online Collaboration Tools use (less demanding)

So as you say BB is ideal but I could get away with less than 20 - indeed where I live people manage fine on 5, its more my concern that 'Services are UP' and not failing all the time. Obviously, where the signal is strong when it works is preferable but is it a reliable service in terms of UPTIME?

Rob
We have had no more than a handful of short outages with our Tooway satellite system in three years of using it - the longest outage was a couple of hours. Friends who use local Wifi services have been off-line on numerous occasions, sometimes for two or three days. I´m touching wood as I write!

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I use Movistar.

I would say it is the same as the UK because I haven't had an outage in either place over the past year.

I say the same, but this is in terms of reliability rather than speed. I get a much faster connection in the UK than I do in Spain, but the one in Spain is adequate.

Many thanks

Rob

·
Banned
1,002 Posts
..................... am looking to relocate to Southern Spain coast at some point within the next year and run a business from the rental place. It would most likely be Barcelona or South along the coast from there

King. Might I suggest you take a look at a map before you come.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts