Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well folks, I'm also on another ex pat forum and am stunned that a thread on racism has been allowed to run openly, page, after page after page on it (yes, I've used the alert button).

So this post is just to say thanks to the moderators here who will allow some grown up chat, some argument, but have common sense enough to put a stop to things when needed.

Have a 'virtual' pint on me :)

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Well folks, I'm also on another ex pat forum and am stunned that a thread on racism has been allowed to run openly, page, after page after page on it (yes, I've used the alert button).

So this post is just to say thanks to the moderators here who will allow some grown up chat, some argument, but have common sense enough to put a stop to things when needed.

Have a 'virtual' pint on me :)

Why thank you!! I know where you mean ;). Heated is one thing, going round in ever decreasing circles that get more and more trivial and personally offensive is another!!

Jo xxx

·
Registered
22,399 Posts
There's another forum, not much used, which has a preponderance of moaning old gits who live in the U.K. and have lost money through dodgy house/apartment purchases or off-plan deals in various parts of Spain.

Whenever someone posts to the effect that they are enjoying their life in Spain they pounce like flies on s*** and tell them they're wrong, they're naive, they don't know what they're talking about, the Spanish are crooks and so on. The level of personal abuse is just vitriolic and they send each other nasty little pms which they then post for all to read . ( That only happened once on this Forum: a poster who pops in and out sent me a really nasty post about one of the Mods which I deleted immediately).

I used to go on that site for the sheer amazement it invoked....these seventy-somethings from places like Herne Hill calling each other everything under the sun...Then I started posting just to stir things up but realised that was a bit childish so stopped logging on.

I've just had another quick look, the first in about two years...and they're still at it. One particularly vicious old whinger has actually had a post deleted by the Mod so Gawd only knows what he could have written as the posts from him that appear on that forum would NEVER be allowed here.

So thankyou Mods. You do a great job (I hope you have noticed I have become a (slightly) gentler Mary....;)

·
Administrator
36,699 Posts
yes I know which one too....

could have been an interesting discussion if it hadn't got personal

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
I guess all the insults and nonsense create the illusion of a busy forum tho, which is what the owners like to see. I just find that its so unproductive and pointless. I hate name calling and personal insults.

Jo xxx

·
Premium Member
2,097 Posts
(I hope you have noticed I have become a (slightly) gentler Mary....;)
It's all down to my return Mary.......I've always been the ladies favourite! :cool:

Look at the change in Jo for example.....she's running round like a giggly schoolgirl these days.

They don't call me Mr Canesten for nothing you know! :cool:

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
It's all down to my return Mary.......I've always been the ladies favourite! :cool:

Look at the change in Jo for example.....she's running round like a giggly schoolgirl these days.

They don't call me Mr Canesten for nothing you know! :cool:
bless!!! Poor delusioned chap!!!

Jo xxxx

·
Registered
22,399 Posts
bless!!! Poor delusioned chap!!!

Jo xxxx
Ooh he is awful......but we like him!!:D

I wish they'd put some of the old comedy shows on tv....Dick Emery, Les Dawson...but not that revolting and very unfunny Bernard Manning.

·
Registered
7,280 Posts
Yes - that was a good thread until it got jumped. Some people's views are um... surprising. :confused:

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Yes - that was a good thread until it got jumped. Some people's views are um... surprising. :confused:
I suspect that their views arent really their views at all. they just say whatever they think of just to try to outwit and insult each other!!! ;)

Jo xxx

·
Premium Member
2,097 Posts

I wish they'd put some of the old comedy shows on tv....Dick Emery, Les Dawson...but not that revolting and very unfunny Bernard Manning.
I loved the old "Carry On" films Mary......somehow always identified with the lecherous old Sid James character. Never dreamt that 40 years later I'd eventually turn into him. :(
Still a better option than poor old Strav who turned into Charles Hawtry though.

And who can forget Kenneth Williams....what a character...."Infamy! Infamy! They've all got it in for me!"

Also a big fan of Leslie Phillips with his caddish roles in the 50's and 60's.
As a matter of interest I can do an absolutely perfect "Well Hello" in true Leslie Phillips upper class style.....without a trace of my normal melodious Welsh lilt.

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
I loved the old "Carry On" films Mary......somehow always identified with the lecherous old Sid James character. Never dreamt that 40 years later I'd eventually turn into him. :(
Still a better option than poor old Strav who turned into Charles Hawtry though.

And who can forget Kenneth Williams....what a character...."Infamy! Infamy! They've all got it in for me!"

As a matter of interest I can do an absolutely perfect "Well Hello" in true Leslie Phillips upper class style.....without a trace of my normal melodious Welsh lilt.
I'd have put you down as more of a Bernard Bresslaw type character:tape:

Jo xxx

·
Registered
22,399 Posts

I love those Carry On Films.......my favourites: Carry on Camping, Carry on Abroad, Carry on Cleo - my all-time favourite...Amanda Whatsername (Cleopatra) to Sid James (Anthony) : 'I have a poisonous asp' Sid James with leer 'I wouldn't say that...' (Can you leer like Sid, though....)
Carry On at your Convenience, Carry On Girls...Carry On Up the Khyber: Joan Sims as the rebels fire cannons and the ceiling falls on the dinner-table 'Ooh I feel a little plastered'.

Unbeatable.

But the best-ever must be 'Allo ''Allo. I have it all on DVD and it's the best ever antidote for depression.

I also like 'Are You Being Served'.

Sadly, not everyone is sophisticated enough to share our refined sense of humour, X....

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
I love those Carry On Films.......my favourites: Carry on Camping, Carry on Abroad, Carry on Cleo - my all-time favourite...Amanda Whatsername (Cleopatra) to Sid James (Anthony) : 'I have a poisonous asp' Sid James with leer 'I wouldn't say that...' (Can you leer like Sid, though....)
Carry On at your Convenience, Carry On Girls...Carry On Up the Khyber: Joan Sims as the rebels fire cannons and the ceiling falls on the dinner-table 'Ooh I feel a little plastered'.

Unbeatable.

But the best-ever must be 'Allo ''Allo. I have it all on DVD and it's the best ever antidote for depression.

I also like 'Are You Being Served'.

Sadly, not everyone is sophisticated enough to share our refined sense of humour, X....
:faint2:

Jo xxx

·
Registered
7,280 Posts

Revolting, definitely, but not unfunny. Did you not see him on Parkinson with Esther Rantzen (I think) who was determined to be disgusted? A couple of dodgy jokes and even she couldn't stop herself laughing. Someone who can do that it is not unfunny.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.