Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again you lovely people,

So, we are finally getting hooked up to real internet at last. Most people in our area use smart or globle. Does anyone have bad experience with either of them? globe say it's unlimited for the package we are looking at. Not a fan of the 18 month contract though and i've also seen some pretty bad reviews for them. The smart website seems very confusing and limited to set GB a month. We don't have that where i'm from so i'm a little worried our monthly internet will be great for a week then a slug race for the remainder of the month. I'm happy to change my downloading to streaming, ect.

Any advice on this would be very much appreciated.

Thanks all

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Hello again you lovely people,

So, we are finally getting hooked up to real internet at last. Most people in our area use smart or globle. Does anyone have bad experience with either of them? globe say it's unlimited for the package we are looking at. Not a fan of the 18 month contract though and i've also seen some pretty bad reviews for them. The smart website seems very confusing and limited to set GB a month. We don't have that where i'm from so i'm a little worried our monthly internet will be great for a week then a slug race for the remainder of the month. I'm happy to change my downloading to streaming, ect.

Any advice on this would be very much appreciated.

Thanks all
3 of my friends had pldt....even commercial and not happy.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Have used Both Globe & Smart in the past and turned out to be very disappointed with their performance. I now use PLDT, still not perfect nor up to US standards, but is mostly acceptable. It does seem that performance varies widely with all of them, depending on your whereabouts in the Country.

Fred

·
Registered
45 Posts
For home broadband we have Globe (Tattoo). We find the 5Mbps package is OK for streaming most of the time. I think it costs us about 1,400 peso per month. The package also includes landline which we don't really use.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Most of my friends using Globe have nothing but complaints, even the business accounts. I have one friend who has the GB restrictions.

My PLDT DSL has been pretty good. Currently get 2MB for 999p + 603p for local landline. In my area you can go all the way up to 10MB (FIBR) but it is over 4000p per month. I have not experienced any GB restrictions.

One of the most common issues is DNS outages and poor routing setups. I would point your machines at a stateside DNS address (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4). It may take a few more milliseconds to resolve the name to IP but I rarely have DNS issues. If I ever have issues it usually a backbone outage somewhere between me and the PI Gateway.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Most of my friends using Globe have nothing but complaints, even the business accounts. I have one friend who has the GB restrictions.

My PLDT DSL has been pretty good. Currently get 2MB for 999p + 603p for local landline. In my area you can go all the way up to 10MB (FIBR) but it is over 4000p per month. I have not experienced any GB restrictions.

One of the most common issues is DNS outages and poor routing setups. I would point your machines at a stateside DNS address (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4). It may take a few more milliseconds to resolve the name to IP but I rarely have DNS issues. If I ever have issues it usually a backbone outage somewhere between me and the PI Gateway.
I'll ask around and see if anyone in my area uses PLDT and if they have problems with it here.

At the moment i'm using a globe 3g dongle and it's temperamental to say the least. Alot of the time only facebook and google search work. I noticed the DNS issues and have already tried the google servers as you suggested (i'm a desktop engineer). The thing is though, they are based in america and all that seems to do is stop fb working as well. Maybe it would be better when i get something better than a dongle. I'm going to do a search into better DNS settings for the Philippines when i get some more free time.

Thanks for all the advice everyone.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I have not noticed to the issues with FB. My family here is very FB intensive and I am sure that I would be getting complaints if the US Google servers were the issue.

Your issues may be due to the dropped packets from your poor dongle signal, routing issues and the lag in DNS. I do know from past experience that Globe's routing has been all screwed up in the past. I worked on a contract where we had a Globe E-1 Business class. I remember one test revealed that it went all the way to San Jose CA before it crossed over into PLDTs network.... That alone would screw up a lot of stuff.

·
Registered
145 Posts
looks like what were all wanting is a great internet service in the PI ( fast & reliable ) like where used to in other countries. from my experience and from other post here seems that everything is a hit and miss in the PI depending on your location and location of towers. so bottom line internet service in PI is a crap shoot. We can all hope someday that Philippines has reliable fast service. until then lets just all enjoy a cold BEER>
Buy the way I would bet that most living and enjoying live in the Philippines didn't retire there for the internet.

·
Registered
39 Posts
looks like what were all wanting is a great internet service in the PI ( fast & reliable ) like where used to in other countries. from my experience and from other post here seems that everything is a hit and miss in the PI depending on your location and location of towers. so bottom line internet service in PI is a crap shoot. We can all hope someday that Philippines has reliable fast service. until then lets just all enjoy a cold BEER>
Buy the way I would bet that most living and enjoying live in the Philippines didn't retire there for the internet.
No I did not retire here for the internet but it is my best lifeline with family and friends back in the USA and the rest of the world. Plus both in pre-retirement business and personal life I used the internet a great deal. Pardon my Crabby Old Man Visitor attitude but until Philippines does whatever is needed they will never join the rest of the world. I will not pontificate on what I think the main issue is remembering I am a guest here. :)

·
Registered
574 Posts
No I did not retire here for the internet but it is my best lifeline with family and friends back in the USA and the rest of the world. Plus both in pre-retirement business and personal life I used the internet a great deal. Pardon my Crabby Old Man Visitor attitude but until Philippines does whatever is needed they will never join the rest of the world. I will not pontificate on what I think the main issue is remembering I am a guest here. :)
Well, to play off of what Seattle Seahawk Marshawn Lynch said in 2014.....IT's ALL ABOUT THE MONEY (and Power) BOSS !

·
Super Moderator
3,606 Posts
You'll miss talking with someone

After a few years you'll get lonely for some company or someone who speaks English and if you don't have cable you'll be even feeling more nutty, the drama's and annoying commercials and News Channels will make it worse.

When I say speaks English I mean a real conversation, one that isn't so challenging besides the guy that's slapping your knee's, giving sign language, missing several teeth, asking for cigarettes, wanting to know how much are you getting for a pension. You can only pick the wife's brain so much before you'll need a real conversation, that's not possible here. Some lessons learned the In-laws really can't understand half the words that are coming out of my mouth.

·
Registered
39 Posts
After a few years you'll get lonely for some company or someone who speaks English and if you don't have cable you'll be even feeling more nutty, the drama's and annoying commercials and News Channels will make it worse.

When I say speaks English I mean a real conversation, one that isn't so challenging besides the guy that's slapping your knee's, giving sign language, missing several teeth, asking for cigarettes, wanting to know how much are you getting for a pension. You can only pick the wife's brain so much before you'll need a real conversation, that's not possible here. Some lessons learned the In-laws really can't understand half the words that are coming out of my mouth.
Amen and Amen. Without my ”English” speaking friends and cultural connection I would have gone over the edge before 6 months is up. Love my wife dearly and she tries so very hard but I realize about 50% of the time she has no background in even some of the concepts of US culture. Not that ”we” are right but it is not relaxing to try to have deep conversations. Sure I could make more effort to learn the language here but which one? Filipino? Tagalog? Iliocano? or another of the 147 dialects. I am 67 and still have not mastered English.

·
Registered
5 Posts
let be honest here GLOBE or SMART <Snip> unless you are under the tower or send signals.
if you are lucky to get a line from PLTD then you be okay in the city now in the country that his another story.
i am lucky to have chosen to live where they got PLTD optic fiber then get 5 Mbps that what i need to watch sport on line .

·
Super Moderator
3,606 Posts
Telecom Tower Location

let be honest here GLOBE or SMART <Snip> unless you are under the tower or send signals.
if you are lucky to get a line from PLTD then you be okay in the city now in the country that his another story.
i am lucky to have chosen to live where they got PLTD optic fiber then get 5 Mbps that what i need to watch sport on line .
Tower proximity for the Internet doesn't always mean you'll have internet, Globe had an engineering issue or ? I never found out but I live next to the tower, they couldn't get their WiFi units to lock in for more than 24 hrs in our area, I put up with this and all my billing issues for 6 months and I had no choice, I gave them every opportunity to fix it or explain issue and the best they could come up with was "we know we have a problem in your area" I had to switch to PLDT DSL but the tower does serve its function well for the cell phone service in our municipality.

I think it all comes down to the equipment used for your internet connection, I haven't had much luck with those WiFi units, when there's a problem calling customer service is a wasted event they always needed to come out and replace the unit so I'm done using WiFi as my connection. I live somewhat remote and so the DSL line to our house works very well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts