Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking at temporary vacation rentals for the past few weeks and I've noticed how many just have WiFi as an internet connection. The agents tell me that the connection comes from a box in the apartment and that you get a password. Fine. Is anyone well versed enough in web technology that can tell me what kind of bitrate we're talking about in this set up?

Also, in Paris, is it not possible to get cable internet in apartments or at least high-speed DSL? Is it common to find older buildings in Paris not wired for cable internet? Just curious from someone who knows how these things are set up there what the options are.

Thanks!

·
Administrator
51,989 Posts
For high speed DSL, you need a telephone line - which I suspect they wouldn't want you setting up in a temporary vacation rental. I suspect the wifi comes from a "box" which might also include your telephone (and possibly television) service in the apartment.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
Lived in US, France, Canada, & UK
1,338 Posts
The "box" is, as Beverly says, will provide you with TV, Internet access, and Telephone services. If it's SFR it's called a Neufbox. The others have their own versions

Expect middle of the road broadband access in terms of speed.

You can also use it for a MagicJack if you want a US telephone # in France.

Best of luck.

Ray

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.