Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, can anyone recommend an internet provider for the Xativa area that provides an adequate speed for PS3 gaming? I'm not getting a lot of info from the web, wandered if anyone had first hand good/bad experience of this? thanks!

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I use Movistar in Javea and I get quite a bit of lag if trying to play friends in the UK. If I play people in Spain all is fine.

Not Xativa, I know, but I thought it might help as I would expect you to not get a good response from UK players.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I use Movistar in Javea and I get quite a bit of lag if trying to play friends in the UK. If I play people in Spain all is fine.

Not Xativa, I know, but I thought it might help as I would expect you to not get a good response from UK players.
thank you! we have played online in javea also and it was fine - think i will check movistar out, thanks again

·
Registered
235 Posts
You can't bet with paddy power as you cant sign up.
Anyway the thread is about Playstation gaming.

Only issue i have is the French players seem to have an advantage on fifa where their players move quicker and turn smoother etc.

Either their isp's traffic management is configured better for gaming or they get routed to a less congested node en route to the ea server....or maybe they all cheat lol.

Was the same when i was in the UK

Since i have had fibre gaming has improved but not in line with the connection speed ie5MBs to 300MBs....

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
A lot of it comes down to what your ping is and not so much your overall speed.
A ping of 50 or under should be quite good for gaming and anything under 100 should be alright too but if your ping is higher then that is when you will likely be seeing some issues.

You can check ping on a speed test, mine is 43 at the moment and I have seen it around 20 before and that is using Wimax so it's pretty good for online gaming.
As long as I can play Battlefront when it's released I'll be happy as a pig in muck.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
The thing about ping is that it's the machine with which the xbox or playstation will communicate you need to be concerned with. Ping on a speed test is going to be to a local-ish server unless you use a test site that enables you to select other targets.

I get 32ms to London which I have to say surprised me. According to Microsoft if you can ping a server in the country you want to play people in and receive under 150ms then you should be OK for gaming. But of course, there are more variables that can affect your gaming.

G

·
If you want to play with your friends back in UK you need to consider getting a leased line or dedicated.

Avoid Movistar, Orange, Vodafone, Jazztel, Yoigo and the likes as they all are useless for international gaming (lag, lag spikes, routing issues, ping issues all ruin online gaming experience.

Example:

Leased Line Alternatives in Europe and Spain from Redestel

The only catch, it's not cheap at all.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts