Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, we got the Internet installed two weeks ago when we moved to France. The connection dropped at approx 8:30 that night till 7.10 in the morning. When that happens we also lose the connection to the house phones. We called orange and they sent an engineer out. He changed a socket in the office and went back to the exchange to do something there. It did not work. They then sent out another engineer to change the lines outside the house. Again it did not work. They then said they would send out a more technical engineer. They sent out the same person. He then changed the internal wire that connects to something outside. Again it did not work. I explained to orange that it is very frustrating and cannot speak to family members after 8:30. They said at least I have an orange mobile. I said I was not going to use that. We are paying full price for a service we only get 50% of the time plus the cost of using my mobile. I'm am going to call them again this morning. Has anyone experienced anything like this? Thanks

·
Registered
664 Posts
Have you tried the Orange users' forum to see if anyone else has/had the same problem?

Orange - Forum - Assistance - Communauté Orange - Livebox - Mobile - Smartphones - Abonnements - Réponses à vos questions

I didn't have the same problem but a couple of frustrating weeks last summer when I upgraded to a more expensive package. No help from the N African-based helpline but eventually my case was bumped-up to someone in France. It was so obvious to me that the problem was at their end but a technician was sent and agreed that I was right.

Do any of your neighbours have the same problem?

Is your Livebox plugged into the same circuit in the fuse box of something else that is switched on/off at these times?

I did get a rebate for my troubles so you must make sure you get that.

·
Administrator
49,836 Posts
Orange can be "a little" frustrating to deal with when you have technical problems like that. Actually, so can SFR and the other phone/Internet providers we deal with - we're in the business, so know them all. Even when my husband calls them and reports on what he has already tested that indicates the problem is on their side of the operation, they "send someone out" to try to find something on the customer's side anyhow.

It's possible that there is a problem somewhere down the line - like another user who does something overnight that hogs all the bandwidth or something. (Obviously, it's my husband who is the technical whizz in our little business. I just keep the books.)

Keep at it, and try to pursue things calmly and steadily. They do contract out most of their service, so the guy who shows up at your home probably doesn't actually work for Orange, but for a small repair and maintenance provider who works for Orange (and possibly one or two other providers).

Now you know why the French wish each other "courage!" all the time. <g>
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree with you both in that they are looking for faults at our home. They did say yesterday that if the new internal line that they put in yesterday did not work then it's not our fault lol. I also thought that it was someone else who was using lots of data but it's as if there is a clock in the exchange that turns it off as it goes off at the same time and comes back on at the same time. They also set us up a test point in the basement and if it fails we had to take the livebox downstairs to see if the same happened down there, which it did. I like our Mr Engineer, he has become part of the family.

I am going to ring Orange again so and will let you know when it is fixed as it may help someone else. Wish me luck 😜

Thanks

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Hi Ann,

Did you ask around the neighbours?

If you 'Google' your problem, there is a stack of similar woes.

I found his one - Bev's OH might be able to send you a translation to check it out: :p

"A typical DSL or Cable modem uses DHCP to obtain a new IP address from the host server and the default DHCP lease renewal period is often 1 day. So depending on when the lease is first obtained you could see an interruption in service at the same time every 24 hours."

Good luck. Back home, I once had 26 site-visits by BT to a new house, so I know how frustrating it is.

·
Administrator
49,836 Posts
Finally had a chance to ask DH and he kept asking me the kinds of questions I'm sure your service guy has already considered. However his first reaction was: do they have an alarm system? Apparently the alarm system can interfere with the Internet line like that.

Passing it along for all it's worth.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Super Moderator
5,691 Posts
I'd be wondering if the router had a sleep setting (some do) since the issue recurs at the same time each day.

It could also be (less likely though) that the actual PC's Window's settings are the problem if the Network Adaptor within the PC is set to sleep. (Can check by getting into Device Manager, select Network Adaptor, check Properties, Power Management tab, make sure the option that says "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" is not checked.

I've heard talk about Orange needing to re-initialise the line from their end in this situation too, so it might be worth asking about that. Also, always a good idea to make sure you have the latest firmware for the router.

If the problem won't go away you can always try another router, as many others have successfully done in the past.

Otherwise, since it happens at the same time, sounds like electrical interference - can indeed be caused by an alarm system, but can also be faulty streetlights, Sky boxes, power supply boxes for phones, PC's, computer's etc - the Livebox is not one of the best routers around anyway and others may cope with this better.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Hello

It's worth checking if you have something big (electrical kw) switching on or off at the time. Swimming pool pumps (!), water heaters, saunas etc.

Or you can ask (DEMAND) Orange for a replacement box.

Or....go into an Orange shop, politely ask for a super technician to help you, or burst into tears.......can be effective in a big shop full of customers!

DejW

·
Registered
360 Posts
Not in France, but the phone company bought my service provider and I had the same problem for over two weeks. I kept calling and they pinged and so on etc. Finally I noticed that they (the new company)had a main connection station/satellite near me. I asked them to look into whether they perhaps a reset of something there that could be affecting my wireless service. Problem solved the next day and has never happened since. Of course no feedback from them. But if nothing else seems wrong it is worth looking at interference. My tech support guy says automatic watering systems can also cause disruptions.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts