Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could someone who lives in dubai please tell me if the internet connection there is bad when trying to make contact with the uk ? does the internet signal go down and if so for how many days ? i am just curious as to no. Any feedback appreciated :):):)

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
No. It's fine. Customer service with Du and Etisalat are something to be desired but the actual service is reliable for most people (correct me if I'm wrong).

It's not a third world country. Broadband/electricity doesn't "go down ...for days". :D

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Could someone who lives in dubai please tell me if the internet connection there is bad when trying to make contact with the uk ? does the internet signal go down and if so for how many days ? i am just curious as to no. Any feedback appreciated :):):)
Generally it's fine, but it is entirely dependent upon where you are located. I have a 15mb connection from Du and it's rock solid. It doesn't vary much by day or time, but my area (Palm Shoreline) is fibre connected. There are areas around JLT where a friend has a business in a brand new building which is still being fitted out, where he has found he can only get 2mb maximum as the developers only put in copper and the length becomes a limiting factor.

Time also has an impact - I lived in Bur Dubai for two months when I arrived and Fridays were a wash out as the day off results in many many many more people being online and speeds crashed to the unusable point. Other times it was fine and you would find the local connection used by a Speedtest.net app would say the connection was fast, but congested en route.

If looking to live somewhere, it's worth checking out what the connections are like before you agree to move there. If the place is occupied, ask them to browse to www.speedtest.net and see what it says.

Current stats 31ms ping, 14.9mb download, 0.96mb upload

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thankyou , i was having trouble with a friend and their signal ..their smart phone wouldnt work and i have had no communication and im really just trying to find out if this is the case or not because i am not there and i dont really no :):):) i did hear that uae was not as advanced in the uk with regards to the internet

·
Super Moderator
Originally from UK but lived in many countries
6,963 Posts
Thankyou , i was having trouble with a friend and their signal ..their smart phone wouldnt work and i have had no communication and im really just trying to find out if this is the case or not because i am not there and i dont really no :):):) i did hear that uae was not as advanced in the uk with regards to the internet
I don't know where you heard that from!
Dubai has much faster home internet access than most UK areas - if you are prepared to pay for it!
4G network coverage is also pretty good - but again a bit expensive.
If you are prepared to pay good money - you can get great speeds here.
Where we lived in UK - we only had 2mb connection over copper and that was only a few miles from the centre of Chester!

Cheers
Steve

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
UAE...third world in people's eyes. Bet the phone didn't connect because of settings...or lack of international roaming. Won't have been us.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
UAE Internet is several centuries ahead of Fife in Scotland, that's for sure!

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Yes, we all live in caves and have to trek to the top of the nearest mountain and hoist a huge dish to get any kind of signal!!!

Your mate just probably lives in a poor signal area or a big building with lots of interferance.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Just for sh!ts and giggles.

I live in Marina. Just on the cusp of Media City.

Here are my speedtests...

From my building's basement carpark using 3G (I'm a pre-paid du customer - the reason I mention this is that you can only get 4G as a post-paid customer):
speedtest basement du.jpg
In my apartment on du's pre-paid 3G (we're on the 25th floor):
speedtest 25th floor du.jpg
From philyand's post-paid 4G Etisalat phone in the same spot on the 25th floor (he wasn't with me when I went to the shop so I couldn't get his in the basement):
speedtest 25th floor etisalat.jpg
From our home broadband with du which is the 16Mbps choice but with a supposed cap at 2Mbps upload speed they charge more for 4Mbps...haha, beating the system! :
speedtest broadband.jpg

Reactions: usario88

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
Izzy you have too much time on your hands lol
I don't even understand one bit of what that means. Izzy, hats off to you - please don't try to explain it to me either ;). For me, internet works, doesn't work, goes at an okay speed or doesn't, in which case it's time for a cup of coffee and a *** (or a glass of grape if it's 'that' time) to give me something to do while I wait for the cogs to turn.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have 250 mb/s with fiber connection in Sweden. If the speed glitches some time, I got so pi$$ed. So i am sure I am going to suffer in DXB 😁

Anyone knows what is the max speed that is offered and where I can find a location with high speed?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
There is absolutely no point in saying you have a 250Mb line because that unuseable in 99% of circumstances. The other end of any link simply won;t run that fast so its all but marketing bull for the gullible..... you'll find that a lot of servers hard discs couldn't even dispense data at that rate even if you are the only person on it. All you have is a six lane motorway to the nearest roundabout and after that you're on the same roads as everyone else.

You'll get 16Mb maxish within Dubai as any faster lines will still be contended out of the country.

(Telecomms engineer with 30 years experience including the fibre network in Dubai Marina)

·
Registered
123 Posts
twowheelsgood said:
There is absolutely no point in saying you have a 250Mb line because that unuseable in 99% of circumstances. The other end of any link simply won;t run that fast so its all but marketing bull for the gullible..... you'll find that a lot of servers hard discs couldn't even dispense data at that rate even if you are the only person on it. All you have is a six lane motorway to the nearest roundabout and after that you're on the same roads as everyone else. You'll get 16Mb maxish within Dubai as any faster lines will still be contended out of the country. (Telecomms engineer with 30 years experience including the fibre network in Dubai Marina)
Thank you very much for the valuable insider info. I appreciate that.

·
Registered
17 Posts
good thread - anyone living in TECOM Emirates building? who can comment on who the provider is and speeds available? cheers

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I don't even understand one bit of what that means. Izzy, hats off to you - please don't try to explain it to me either ;). For me, internet works, doesn't work, goes at an okay speed or doesn't, in which case it's time for a cup of coffee and a *** (or a glass of grape if it's 'that' time) to give me something to do while I wait for the cogs to turn.
laments terms, I can watch BBC iplayer without it stalling :D

·
Registered
203 Posts
I have the 100mb elife connection (Etisalat) at home, and its extremely stable, and very fast. As long you have a fiber connection it should be rock solid at any speed.

One note, I replaced the Etisalat router for a high-end Linksys, I recommend this. for the past 6 months I needed zero reboot....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts