Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone hoping I will be able to get some assistance on here:

I will be applying for Master's to polytechnics in Auckland. I want to know about living expenses, part times Job options and how is job market especially for IT students once they are done with education or during education. Any other challenges face for students.

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated :)

·
Super Moderator
4,943 Posts
To keep costs down you need to be looking at property sharing with other students or just renting a bedroom in a property sharing the rest of the house with the other tenants. This way you are likely to get the cost of the rent, utilities and internet/phone/sky tv all in the one price. The only other thing you'll need to pay yourself would be food. Have a look on Buy online and sell with NZ's #1 auction & classifieds site | Trade Me in the real estate section and choose flat sharing etc.
You can also google flat shares, rooms to rent or house shares in the area you'd like to base yourself. There are many site where people advertise. You can also join Facebook groups where people advertise places to rent etc.
Living expenses in Auckland are the most expensive in the country but as a student you'll be fine and will adapt to keep costs down. other students will point you in the right direction....cheapest places for groceries, cheapest places to eat on certain days etc.

Assuming you have the right to part time work agreed by Immigration on your visa then you'll be able to work up to 20hrs per week. There are many places where you'll be able to work from supermarkets, to coffee shops, to McDonalds etc, plus many more. You just have to go in and ask in person as this'll be the best way to secure part time work. Kiwi's love people to be upfront and make a bold gesture to get what they want. If you sit back waiting for work to come to you then you'll be disappointed.
No idea about the job market for IT other than it's very competitive. Every man and his dog seems to work in IT at the moment.
Your only challenges relate to your visa conditions - you must have the written offer of a place on a suitable study course and you must have proof of enough funds to support yourself for the whole duration of the study (course fees, accommodation and food) and you must have proof that you will leave after the study is completed or have sufficient funds to show you can purchase a ticket out of NZ prior to your study visa expiry regardless if your intention is to stay.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Firs t of all, thank you indeed for providing useful information regarding living in Auckland with affordable cost.

As far as part working is concerned, I know there are number of part time jobs in supermarkets, coffee shops etc, but as I am expert in web technologies and having 12 years of experienced in programming and Web application development field thus I like to find job of this sector.

I have applied in one of polytechnics in Auckland and sent documents for assessment for taking admission. I am waiting for their reply. Once I get confirmation, I’ll obviously apply for visa. So I have some questions and will be thankful again if you advise me on this.

1) Is my friend’s financial undertaking acceptable for visa? It must be noted here that I have my enough money to pay whole year course and insurance fees.

2) My main object of applying for student visa is to gain points because I have short of points to reach 140 points which is mandatory for successfully case acceptance from Poll. So my question is, can I show this intention in visa application? Even I like to do Phd but after gaining at least one year experience in New Zealand so finally what is more appropriate?

3) Lastly, I have mentioned my points before and after New Zealand Master education.

Before NZ Master Education

Age 39 years = 25 points
12 years of work experience in ICT = 30 points
Bonus points of ICT experience = 15 points
Spouse education (BA) = 10 points
Current education = 40 points
Total = 120 points

After NZ Master Education

Age 41 years = 20 points
New Zealand Master education (level 9) = 60 points
Bonus points of NZ two years Education = 15 points
Total = 150 points

Would you like to correct above if I am wrong at any points?

Thanks again for your help :)

·
Super Moderator
4,943 Posts
Firs t of all, thank you indeed for providing useful information regarding living in Auckland with affordable cost.

As far as part working is concerned, I know there are number of part time jobs in supermarkets, coffee shops etc, but as I am expert in web technologies and having 12 years of experienced in programming and Web application development field thus I like to find job of this sector.

I have applied in one of polytechnics in Auckland and sent documents for assessment for taking admission. I am waiting for their reply. Once I get confirmation, I’ll obviously apply for visa. So I have some questions and will be thankful again if you advise me on this.

1) Is my friend’s financial undertaking acceptable for visa? It must be noted here that I have my enough money to pay whole year course and insurance fees.

2) My main object of applying for student visa is to gain points because I have short of points to reach 140 points which is mandatory for successfully case acceptance from Poll. So my question is, can I show this intention in visa application? Even I like to do Phd but after gaining at least one year experience in New Zealand so finally what is more appropriate?

3) Lastly, I have mentioned my points before and after New Zealand Master education.

Before NZ Master Education

Age 39 years = 25 points
Current education = 40 points
Total = 120 points

After NZ Master Education

Age 41 years = 20 points
New Zealand Master education (level 9) = 60 points
Bonus points of NZ two years Education = 15 points
Total = 150 points

Would you like to correct above if I am wrong at any points?

Thanks again for your help :)
Hi again,

Unlikely you would gain part-time employment in your area of expertise. You can only work 20hrs per week (assuming this is approved by Immigration on your visa) so the chance of a company taking you for that amount of time is slim.

(1) So you are hoping your friend can sponsor you and pledge that he or she pays for your expenses ?
Yes, but there's a few criteria they must meet and a few forms to complete.

(2) You don't gain points for showing intent. You would only be able to claim the points once you have studied here, plus this is not the usual process for a person post-study. There is a formal process after a person has studied here in order to stay further - this is a post-study job search visa, then a post-study practical experience visa which may then lead on to a Resident Visa after many years.

(3) Maybe you are right that you will have 150 points after study here for a couple of years but since it takes 12 months to get a Resident Visa you would need another visa in the interim that allowed you to stay while the Resident visa application was being processed.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi escapedtonz,

Thanks again for replying. Appreciated!

Unlikely you would gain part-time employment in your area of expertise. You can only work 20hrs per week (assuming this is approved by Immigration on your visa) so the chance of a company taking you for that amount of time is slim.

Okay that is my luck if I get job of my area of expertise. I agree that students are allowed 20hrs per week. Does it include Saturday, Sunday working hrs? For example, I do job from Monday to Friday 4 hrs daily so it counts 20hrs of 5 days. What about weekends job timing? Can I work on weekend if per week 20 hrs consume earlier?

(1) So you are hoping your friend can sponsor you and pledge that he or she pays for your expenses ?

Yes definitely, one of my friends is businessman and agreed to support me. My question, is that acceptable by Immigration authority for student visa though my friend isn't from New Zealand?

(2) You don't gain points for showing intent. You would only be able to claim the points once you have studied here, plus this is not the usual process for a person post-study. There is a formal process after a person has studied here in order to stay further - this is a post-study job search visa, then a post-study practical experience visa which may then lead on to a Resident Visa after many years.

I know that only by showing intention of studying will not give me points. My question is, should I show my intention that I'll live there after completion of studies and will apply for post-study work visa and after one year will apply for Phd. So all these fine to show to Immigration officer when applying for student visa? Or better to show intention of moving back after education?

(3) Maybe you are right that you will have 150 points after study here for a couple of years but since it takes 12 months to get a Resident Visa you would need another visa in the interim that allowed you to stay while the Resident visa application was being processed.

After completion of studies, I’ll submit EOI application because I am sure by having NZ education I would have 150 points and will successfully take my case fortnightly from EOI. During this I'll apply for post-studying work visa. So is this a better way?

·
Super Moderator
4,943 Posts
Hi escapedtonz,

Thanks again for replying. Appreciated!

Okay that is my luck if I get job of my area of expertise. I agree that students are allowed 20hrs per week. Does it include Saturday, Sunday working hrs? For example, I do job from Monday to Friday 4 hrs daily so it counts 20hrs of 5 days. What about weekends job timing? Can I work on weekend if per week 20 hrs consume earlier?

Yes definitely, one of my friends is businessman and agreed to support me. My question, is that acceptable by Immigration authority for student visa though my friend isn't from New Zealand?

I know that only by showing intention of studying will not give me points. My question is, should I show my intention that I'll live there after completion of studies and will apply for post-study work visa and after one year will apply for Phd. So all these fine to show to Immigration officer when applying for student visa? Or better to show intention of moving back after education?

After completion of studies, I’ll submit EOI application because I am sure by having NZ education I would have 150 points and will successfully take my case fortnightly from EOI. During this I'll apply for post-studying work visa. So is this a better way?
There are some requirements that you and the study course must meet in order for Immigration to allow the part time work and unfortunately the 20hrs allowance is a weekly figure. It does not explain this as Mon - Fri or separate the weekend away, which leads me to believe it is a 7 day period ? Something you may need to ask Immigration.
You can be allowed to work full time during academic holiday periods but again there are requirements that have to be met to allow this.

A guarantor of student expenses can be a relative or a friend. There is a form they must complete and some evidence they must provide with that application form. Once completed they hand it to you and you enclose this in your study visa application as your evidence that you have sufficient funds.
A sponsor of student expenses must be a minimum of an NZ resident class visa holder so this method won't be achievable in your case as your friend doesn't live in NZ, so you need to make sure that the person providing your funds fills in the right form and makes the right declaration. All the info and links to the forms are on the INZ website.

I don't think it will make any difference to your study application if you tell Immigration your intentions are to stay in NZ after the study. It shouldn't make your application any less favourable and it shouldn't make it any more favourable. If I could advise you I'd stick to the present and not the future, as the future can change. No point confusing matters and no point giving unnecessary information.
If there's a question relating to the future on the application form then of course be honest.

Once you get the offer of a place on an approved study course in NZ, you should get the suitable study visa that will allow you to complete that study course. The date of expiry will match the date your study course officially ends, be it a year, 2 years, 3 years in the future ?
When you are nearing the completion of your study and of course near to the expiry of your study visa, if you intend to stay then you'll need to make sure you apply for whatever visa you need allowing sufficient processing time to allow you to stay. In NZ you must always have a valid visa to stay.
If, you wanted to apply for a Resident visa via SMC straight away, then you would need to do this at least a year from the expiry of the study visa, assuming you have enough points for immediate selection from the EOI pool, because it tends to take at least that duration to secure this type of visa without a job offer.
If, you want to apply with an extended period of NZ study for more points then you will have to look at securing another type of visa that will allow you to stay on after the study visa expires but long enough so you can apply for the Resident Visa via SMC.
If you choose the post-study job search visa, then you would be allowed to stay on for a further 9 months to find a skilled job. If in that period you did find a job then you must apply for the post-study visa that actually allows the work. This is essentially a temporary type of work visa and depending on the work period offered will have an expiry of minimum 1 year and maybe up to 3 years or 5 years ?
This period should then allow sufficient time for the Resident visa via SMC processing and of course you would also be applying with a job offer.

I'd say this method would be better for you.

Don't need to worry about this yet though. Concentrate on getting the offer of a study place and sorting out the study visa application and the guarantor paperwork.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There are some requirements that you and the study course must meet in order for Immigration to allow the part time work and unfortunately the 20hrs allowance is a weekly figure. It does not explain this as Mon - Fri or separate the weekend away, which leads me to believe it is a 7 day period ? Something you may need to ask Immigration.
You can be allowed to work full time during academic holiday periods but again there are requirements that have to be met to allow this.

A guarantor of student expenses can be a relative or a friend. There is a form they must complete and some evidence they must provide with that application form. Once completed they hand it to you and you enclose this in your study visa application as your evidence that you have sufficient funds.
A sponsor of student expenses must be a minimum of an NZ resident class visa holder so this method won't be achievable in your case as your friend doesn't live in NZ, so you need to make sure that the person providing your funds fills in the right form and makes the right declaration. All the info and links to the forms are on the INZ website.

I don't think it will make any difference to your study application if you tell Immigration your intentions are to stay in NZ after the study. It shouldn't make your application any less favourable and it shouldn't make it any more favourable. If I could advise you I'd stick to the present and not the future, as the future can change. No point confusing matters and no point giving unnecessary information.
If there's a question relating to the future on the application form then of course be honest.

Once you get the offer of a place on an approved study course in NZ, you should get the suitable study visa that will allow you to complete that study course. The date of expiry will match the date your study course officially ends, be it a year, 2 years, 3 years in the future ?
When you are nearing the completion of your study and of course near to the expiry of your study visa, if you intend to stay then you'll need to make sure you apply for whatever visa you need allowing sufficient processing time to allow you to stay. In NZ you must always have a valid visa to stay.
If, you wanted to apply for a Resident visa via SMC straight away, then you would need to do this at least a year from the expiry of the study visa, assuming you have enough points for immediate selection from the EOI pool, because it tends to take at least that duration to secure this type of visa without a job offer.
If, you want to apply with an extended period of NZ study for more points then you will have to look at securing another type of visa that will allow you to stay on after the study visa expires but long enough so you can apply for the Resident Visa via SMC.
If you choose the post-study job search visa, then you would be allowed to stay on for a further 9 months to find a skilled job. If in that period you did find a job then you must apply for the post-study visa that actually allows the work. This is essentially a temporary type of work visa and depending on the work period offered will have an expiry of minimum 1 year and maybe up to 3 years or 5 years ?
This period should then allow sufficient time for the Resident visa via SMC processing and of course you would also be applying with a job offer.

I'd say this method would be better for you.

Don't need to worry about this yet though. Concentrate on getting the offer of a study place and sorting out the study visa application and the guarantor paperwork.

Accept bundle of thanks for your sincere advice and help.

A sponsor of student expenses must be a minimum of an NZ resident class visa holder so this method won't be achievable in your case as your friend doesn't live in NZ

I have enclosed Financial Undertaking form for a Student and it never says that friend must be minimum of an NZ resident class visa holder. Please correct me if I am wrong.
http://acardo.org/FinancialUndertaking/INZ1014.pdf

I don't think it will make any difference to your study application if you tell Immigration your intentions are to stay in NZ after the study. If there's a question relating to the future on the application form then of course be honest.
I'll be honest and will show intention of living in case I secure 140 points after education.

Of course I'll apply for another visa before completion of my education.

I thank you indeed again for advising me regarding to concentrate on getting the offer of a study place and sorting out the study visa application and the guarantor paperwork.

God bless you :)

·
Super Moderator
4,943 Posts
Accept bundle of thanks for your sincere advice and help.

A sponsor of student expenses must be a minimum of an NZ resident class visa holder so this method won't be achievable in your case as your friend doesn't live in NZ

I have enclosed Financial Undertaking form for a Student and it never says that friend must be minimum of an NZ resident class visa holder. Please correct me if I am wrong.
http://acardo.org/FinancialUndertaking/INZ1014.pdf

I don't think it will make any difference to your study application if you tell Immigration your intentions are to stay in NZ after the study. If there's a question relating to the future on the application form then of course be honest.
I'll be honest and will show intention of living in case I secure 140 points after education.

Of course I'll apply for another visa before completion of my education.

I thank you indeed again for advising me regarding to concentrate on getting the offer of a study place and sorting out the study visa application and the guarantor paperwork.

God bless you :)
All depends if the person is going to be your guarantor or your sponsor ?

A guarantor can be a relative or friend and doesn't have to have any link with NZ.

A sponsor must be affiliated with NZ by minimum of a residence class visa.

Have a look at both forms, it explains, so maybe not a good idea to specify your sponsor as a 'sponsor' ?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
All depends if the person is going to be your guarantor or your sponsor ?

A guarantor can be a relative or friend and doesn't have to have any link with NZ.

A sponsor must be affiliated with NZ by minimum of a residence class visa.

Have a look at both forms, it explains, so maybe not a good idea to specify your sponsor as a 'sponsor' ?
Yes you are right about guarantor and sponsor. So far sufficient funds for student support is concerned, following url is helpful. It tells about Funds Required and Providing evidence of funds. Especially bullet two of (Providing evidence of funds) heading tells about guarantor's undertaking.

Financial requirements for full-fee international students

So in my case, I think my friend's undertaking is fine even he doesn't have any affiliation with NZ.

Today I got conditional offer letter from Polytechnic and they asked for IELTS so I am going to appear next month in IELTS exam. Before this, I wanted to confirm about some important concerns which you made clear with all your honest advises. So finally if you please visit above link and correct me that I just need guarantor not sponsor for student visa.

Thanks indeed :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts