Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When travelling in another country with your Spanish mobile, do you need to enter 0034 before the Spanish number when calling home? I´ve tried to find the answer on the web but am getting conflicting advice. I ask because the elderly parents of a friend have gone on a cruise in the Med and haven´t phoned home as arranged. We are wondering if it is because they haven´t realised they need to enter 0034 before the home number.

·
Banned
1,832 Posts
When travelling in another country with your Spanish mobile, do you need to enter 0034 before the Spanish number when calling home? I´ve tried to find the answer on the web but am getting conflicting advice. I ask because the elderly parents of a friend have gone on a cruise in the Med and haven´t phoned home as arranged. We are wondering if it is because they haven´t realised they need to enter 0034 before the home number.
Yes you do & their phone (s) need to be roaming enabled via the provider/settings.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Your friend can phone the cruise ship - assuming he/she knows which ship his parents are on.

Call the cruise line to get the number. If you tell me the ship I may have the number.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Your friend can phone the cruise ship - assuming he/she knows which ship his parents are on.

Call the cruise line to get the number. If you tell me the ship I may have the number.
Thank you but the panic is over - they called today! There is a mystery, though: they pressed the speed dial on their phone to call home and the international code for Spain (0034) is not programmed in this. So how did they get through? I always thought you had to use 0034 when calling back to Spain from another country but perhaps this has changed?

·
Registered
913 Posts
If they were calling from a Spanish mobile they were not technically calling from outside Spain. A Spanish mobile, using a Spanish service provider, is like calling from within Spain so does not need 0034.

In the same way, someone coming from the UK to Spain does need to use 0034 when calling a local number as they are technically calling from the UK.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts