Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello All,

I am looking for suggestion from the migrants (India) who had transferred their international licence (To avoid ''P'" plate driving process) and gotten successfully the Australian licence here in OZ.

I have checked the vfs site, it takes about 4 weeks to obtain the verification of your overseas driver’s licence and it costs around 50 AUD to get this service done.

http://www.vfs-in-au.net/indiadriverslicence_fees.html

So is this process a good option or going through a fresh licence application will be faster / better in anyway?

Any inputs would be highly appreciated.

Cheers!!

G

·
Where abouts in Australia would you be exchanging your licence? If getting this international licence means you do not have to take lessons, which cost a huge amount and takes time and then take a test then it has to be good! Its such a long drawn out process to obtaining a licence in oz.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hi there I am unsure how getting an international licence helps you - does it just authenticate your licence as it will be in a foreign language? I am assuming you have an Indian driving licence and therefore cannot just exchange it for an Australian one as India is not on the list of recognised countries. You will therefore have to sit a driving test regardless of whether you hold an international licence or not or is there some other benefit to having an international licence?

·
Registered
4,518 Posts
Hi Maddy

Provided that your license is in English, then you can legally drive for the first 3 months. You will need to have your home country license on you at all times - the international license on it's own is not accepted and you will always be required to show your actual license if you are ever pulled over by the police. The police do have a high presence on the road in Perth so chances of being pulled over, even for a random check, is pretty high.

When you're down at the DVS centre, just have a quick chat with them. It may be that you are able to avoid all the lessons but unfortunately not the actual driving tests.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi Maddy

Provided that your license is in English, then you can legally drive for the first 3 months. You will need to have your home country license on you at all times - the international license on it's own is not accepted and you will always be required to show your actual license if you are ever pulled over by the police. The police do have a high presence on the road in Perth so chances of being pulled over, even for a random check, is pretty high.

When you're down at the DVS centre, just have a quick chat with them. It may be that you are able to avoid all the lessons but unfortunately not the actual driving tests.
+1 to the 3 months provision. Adding on to your points...
If you already hold an overseas driving licence, I believe lessons are not essential, however it'll depend on how confident and knowledgeable you are about the road rules in Australia. (most of these are covered in the theory test).
So far, after living in Australia and driving frequently for almost 2+years in NSW, I've only ever got stopped for a random breath test once, and even then they didn't ask for my licence. To be safe, what you can do is carry a certified translation of your driver's licence in your car, along with the original, that should suffice.

·
Registered
760 Posts
What if the licence category isn't as per Australian standards.I have LTV (light transport vehicle) driving licence from Pakistan.I wonder how they would interpret it?

·
Registered
4,518 Posts
+1 to the 3 months provision. Adding on to your points...
If you already hold an overseas driving licence, I believe lessons are not essential, however it'll depend on how confident and knowledgeable you are about the road rules in Australia. (most of these are covered in the theory test).
So far, after living in Australia and driving frequently for almost 2+years in NSW, I've only ever got stopped for a random breath test once, and even then they didn't ask for my licence. To be safe, what you can do is carry a certified translation of your driver's licence in your car, along with the original, that should suffice.
You're awfully lucky then if you were not asked for your license. I got pulled over as well for a random breath test after just 3 weeks of being here and my license was the first thing that they asked for. I'm not sure whether I would have got away with a certified copy (I have a UK license so a lot of these issues that are being discussed fortunately does not affect me) as the policeman wanted to see the original and then gave me a telling off for not swapping my license for a WA license.

In WA, the police seems to be everywhere on the road. I can't even remember the last time that I went out when I did not see a police car on the road.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.