Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

Would you mind me confirming if I can have my international driving license in France by just taking my driving license (from Brazil) to the préfecture and that's it?
I'm aiming for now for a temporary driving license since I need to drive as soon as I get there... and it's valid for a year, right?

Thank you for your help!

·
Administrator
50,387 Posts
If it's an international driving license you are after, you'll need to get that in Brazil (i.e. in the country that issued the license). In point of fact, the so-called "international driving license" is actually only a standardized translation of your local license (indicating the class of license and any restrictions) that is only valid when carried with the license it translates.

Fresh off the boat (so to speak) from Brazil, you Brazilian license is valid for up to a year - but it makes life infinitely easier all around (like for the French authority asking to see your driving license) if you have the standard form international translation to offer. Each country has its own rules about where and how to get an international license - for the licenses valid in that country. I suspect you'd have a difficult time getting an international license in France with a foreign license.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Bev, for all the information!

So just to be clear and see if I got it, I can take my brazilian license to France and start driving with it, right? But it'd be easier for me if I have the standard translation.

The problem is that I live in the UK and I'm moving to France with my french boyfriend, which means that I'm not going back to Brazil until I see which kind of visa I'm gonna apply for. (Going as a tourist in the beginning)

So I won't be there to require the translation for my driving license.

I guess I won't have much problems, hope so.

Thank you again! :)

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
Guys,

Would you mind me confirming if I can have my international driving license in France by just taking my driving license (from Brazil) to the préfecture and that's it?
I'm aiming for now for a temporary driving license since I need to drive as soon as I get there... and it's valid for a year, right?

Thank you for your help!
Further to Bev's response, if you intend to stay more than a year you will need to apply to the Prefecture to exchange your Brazilian licence for a French one - you should ideally make that application at least 2 months prior to one year anniversary of your arrival in France. More information here https://www.service-public.fr/particuliers/vosdroits/F1460

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will do, definitely! Just trying to figure out how it'll be as soon as I land there. I'll need to drive since we will be in a really small place and there are no buses so the car is important to us.

Thank you for the advice!

·
Administrator
50,387 Posts
From your flags and your location data, I kind of wondered if maybe that was the case. OK, that's going to be a little bit harder. Not sure how it works in the UK, but I suspect that however they issue "international licenses" there they expect to start out with a UK license and not a Brazilian one.

I would ask around to see how to get an International License in the UK. If it's through a government agency, you may be up Ye Olde Creek. In the US I know it's the Auto Club (AAA) that issues the international licenses, and they may have some way to confer with the Brazilian Auto Club or whatever they have back there. The issue will come down to are you driving in the UK on your Brazilian license? (And is that kosher?)

There may also be some way to go through the Brazilian Consulate, but I wouldn't count on it. Still, if you don't ask the question...

But find out how the Brits get their International Licenses and that should be your starting point.

Worst case, you should be able to drive in France for up to the first year you are there on just your Brazilian license. Just hope that if you get stopped by a cop in France, he comes from a Portuguese family (LOTS of them around) and won't have any problem reading your license.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
231 Posts
driving in France on a foreign license

The code allows you to drive in France for up to a year using your foreign license, as long as (as noted by Bev) it is accompanied by an International Driver's Permit. However, the code also allows you to use, as an alternate, an official translation, which you can obtain via un traducteur agréé.

See: https://www.service-public.fr/particuliers/vosdroits/F1459 under the tab for court séjour. A link is provided there for an online tool to find such a translator.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts