Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone
I have a cheque from overseas and I wanted to deposit it into my bank account and apparently it takes 45 to 60 days to clear !!??? is this true ? I'm with ENBD . I know everythings super slow in this country but does it really take that long? Has anyone have deposited an international cheque into their account before? Should I just go open a new account at HSBC or something since they r international bank it might take less time? or is it still gonna be the same cuz they r in UAE ? :-(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,665 Posts
As far as I know any international cheque takes ages to clear and they apply a very bad rate and/ or fees to clear it. Before you open an account just to clear a cheque ask first how much time it takes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Canuck_Sens said:
As far as I know any international cheque takes ages to clear and they apply a very bad rate and/ or fees to clear it. Before you open an account just to clear a cheque ask first how much time it takes.
Do you know if a second party can deposit it into my account overseas? I might just send the cheque back to Australia and deposit it into my account there if possible. I spoke to HSBC and first person I spoke to said it takes 7 days and I called again to double check and the second person says 3 to 4 weeks . I don't know who to trust
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,181 Posts
Do you know if a second party can deposit it into my account overseas? I might just send the cheque back to Australia and deposit it into my account there if possible. I spoke to HSBC and first person I spoke to said it takes 7 days and I called again to double check and the second person says 3 to 4 weeks . I don't know who to trust
When I deposited a check it did not take that long (but was a few weeks), although they told me about the same 6 weeks. They did charge an outrageous fee, I think like $50 but I cannot recall. I would doubt HSBC will do much better based on the general reviews of them as a bank

There should be no problem having someone else deposit a check into your account, I have it done all the time. Put, 'for deposit only' the account number, sign and your friend shouldn't have any issues
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
fcjb1970 said:
When I deposited a check it did not take that long (but was a few weeks), although they told me about the same 6 weeks. They did charge an outrageous fee, I think like $50 but I cannot recall. I would doubt HSBC will do much better based on the general reviews of them as a bank

There should be no problem having someone else deposit a check into your account, I have it done all the time. Put, 'for deposit only' the account number, sign and your friend shouldn't have any issues
Thanks for the reply I think I'm better off doing that aye ! Cheers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,665 Posts
Probably you can, I had to deposit a cheque back in Canada and had my friend to deposit it. Make sure that it cannot be endorsed and that it is payable to you.

Does not harm to try. I don't know how things (cheques) work back in Australia, though.


Do you know if a second party can deposit it into my account overseas? I might just send the cheque back to Australia and deposit it into my account there if possible. I spoke to HSBC and first person I spoke to said it takes 7 days and I called again to double check and the second person says 3 to 4 weeks . I don't know who to trust
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Canuck_Sens said:
Probably you can, I had to deposit a cheque back in Canada and had my friend to deposit it. Make sure that it cannot be endorsed and that it is payable to you.

Does not harm to try. I don't know how things (cheques) work back in Australia, though.
Yeah I guess i better speak to my bank first and if they say thats ok I will get one of me mates to deposit it . Thanks for the help!!! :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,181 Posts
Its worth checking, but if you think about it why would there be a problem? Someone is putting a check written to you into your account. The guy renting my house does it every month, either cash or a check just deposited to my account.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
fcjb1970 said:
Its worth checking, but if you think about it why would there be a problem? Someone is putting a check written to you into your account. The guy renting my house does it every month, either cash or a check just deposited to my account.
So true!!!!! Just cuz it's under my name thought they might want me to deposit it myself? I dunno aye!! But there shouldn't b a problem me thinks . Got my cousin to do it for me. I have to do this again when I get my early tax return from ATO . Yay
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top