Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm interested in trying to move to France after college. I'm from the United States.

Would studying abroad for a year in college and afterwards participating in a program for Americans to help in English classes in France for 8 months give me enough time to experience French society/culture/way of living and decide if immigrating is actually something I want to do or not?
I haven't done either yet.

I plan on majoring in ESL education - would I even be able to get a job in France with a degree in that?

·
Administrator
51,368 Posts
Right after college is probably the toughest time to try and head to France - because you usually have to find a job (to have a sponsor for your visa) and unemployment in France is currently highest in the "young adult" category - those under the age of 26.

By all means, do a year abroad in college, and if you can get into one of those programs afterwards for 8 months, it would be great. You may or may not decide you're ready to move over to France for good - but you will get to experience the place and hopefully you'll develop some contacts and experience that will serve you for the longer term.

The big disadvantage about majoring in ESL is that for France (or any EU country), you stand behind all the native UK-born speakers of English when it comes to priority for jobs. The fact of the matter is that Brits don't need a visa, and so are far easier to hire than Americans. Also, teaching English in France isn't a terribly well-paid line of work, partly because there are so many folks trying to make a living here by doing exactly that.

But this is all stuff you'll discover when you do a year abroad.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
974 Posts
Doing the 8 month program is a really good idea especially if you've never been to France before. It's too early to be able to decide what you really want, and you can't just up and go to a new country without having lived there.
Doing the program will give you the chance to experience France, to work and to travel. Afterwards you can weigh up your options. Even if you don't end up in France, being an English language assistant is enjoyable and you'll get to improve your French.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.