Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.

Me and my girlfriend have been living here for a while but our Spanish is terrible.
Mine is good enough to hack it out in the super market and it's mostly down to gestures and my girlfriends Spanish is even worse.

I was thinking the other day that perhaps there are more like us, who wants to learn or improve their Spanish.

So my thoughts are:
If there is enough interest, maybe we can all get together on weekends and have a private tutor in Spanish?

We live in Riba-Roja de turia.

Let me know if there is any interest in this.

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
What an excellent idea. I hope you find plenty of interest. For us you are almost 1200 miles away and the bus service is terrible :)

·
Registered
915 Posts
Hi everyone.

Me and my girlfriend have been living here for a while but our Spanish is terrible.
Mine is good enough to hack it out in the super market and it's mostly down to gestures and my girlfriends Spanish is even worse.

I was thinking the other day that perhaps there are more like us, who wants to learn or improve their Spanish.

So my thoughts are:
If there is enough interest, maybe we can all get together on weekends and have a private tutor in Spanish?

We live in Riba-Roja de turia.

My best friend lives in Italy. She said I should speak Spanish to everyone without exception. I told her, if I do that my British neighbours would understand me. She said, then they should do the same. My friend who is an expat in Italy did that and now speaks fluent Italian.

·
Registered
7,280 Posts
You could try an intercambio. Pick a night and a bar with a separate area and canvass both English speaking and Spanish people who want to learn English. Ours was started by a Spanish teacher of English so that her pupils could have native English people to talk to.

If it is properly organised it works very well, gets you talking to local Spanish people and you can have a few beers while you are doing it - always a good thing.:)

·
Registered
230 Posts
Hi everyone.

So my thoughts are:

I found some websites are quite helpful in picking up vocabularies/pronunciation and basic grammar. We have not moved yet but found a neighbor who is from Madrid originally to teach us Spanish. I am using the site below to suplement my vocabularies and learn how to pronounce them.

I like the site below because it has pronunciation and quiz associated with a lesson. It seems the person who put this together did not care much about making money compared to other sites. You can get lots of free mini "lessons" on here but for more advance stuff, you have to be a member ($10/year). I have not signed up for the membership but for $10/year, I think it is worth it.
Spanish Flash Cards - Spanish Flashcards

I also found a site that reads news slowly in Spanish which helps with listenning skill. I will share it when I got to my home computer tonight.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
I am in the fortunate position that hardly anybody can or will converse in English, so I have to speak the language, I'll never be fluent, neither in English or Spanish, however I can swear quite well in both

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi everyone and thanks for the replies.

I think we might check out an intercambio.

There are no English speaking people around where we live so I do "speak Spanish" all the time when I have to talk to people, however my girlfriend who is a teacher finds it difficult to learn that way.

If anyone else comes across this thread, I would recommend Duo lingo (duolingo.com) as a way to learn Spanish online, but nothing beats actually conversing in the language.
I do find the Spanish to be incredibly patient with me when I speak and gesticulate.

The other day I walked into a shop and accused the shop owner of not speaking Spanish, to which he replied "No, I speak Spanish, you don't".
It was all rathe amusing. ("No hablas Español!" does NOT mean "I don't speak Spanish" ;))

1 - 9 of 9 Posts