Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

yesterday, I received the outcome for a Relevant Skilled Employment Assessment by Engineers Australia. Now, I have 70 points for the 189 visa, my occupation is Industrial Engineering (233511).
As my occupation already came down to 65 points in the last round, I should have a good chance of receiving an invitation in the next round.

However, I am hesitant to update my EOI as my girlfriend and I plan to get married at the beginning of next year. Submitting my application before the wedding (which would be necessary if I received the invitation in one of the next rounds) would lead to some complications, because I would have to update my relationship status and add my then-wife to my application after submitting it.

I would be very thankful if you could help me with my questions:
  • If I submit/update my EOI now with 70 points, what should I specify as my relationship status?
  • If I apply before the wedding, should I add my girlfriend to the application at all?
  • Is there a risk that adding a spouse after visa application submission will not work?
  • Is it possible to intentionally delay the visa grant until the wedding is over and I will have added my wife to the application? I'm a bit worried that as I am from a low-risk country, the grant will come quicker than I expect, so I will miss the chance of adding my then-wife. Will the CO understand if I write to him/her and explain the situation?

I could of course just wait until January until I submit my EOI. The downside of this would be that I run the risk of not receiving an invitation at all if for some reason the point requirement goes back to 70, because I'll lose 5 points due to age next March. So I would rather update my EOI sooner than later.

I am quite confused right now, so - as I said - I would be very thankful for your help.

Thank you! :)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hi everyone,

yesterday, I received the outcome for a Relevant Skilled Employment Assessment by Engineers Australia. Now, I have 70 points for the 189 visa, my occupation is Industrial Engineering (233511).
As my occupation already came down to 65 points in the last round, I should have a good chance of receiving an invitation in the next round.

However, I am hesitant to update my EOI as my girlfriend and I plan to get married at the beginning of next year. Submitting my application before the wedding (which would be necessary if I received the invitation in one of the next rounds) would lead to some complications, because I would have to update my relationship status and add my then-wife to my application after submitting it.

• If I submit/update my EOI now with 70 points, what should I specify as my relationship status?
  • If I apply before the wedding, should I add my girlfriend to the application at all?
  • Is there a risk that adding a spouse after visa application submission will not work?
  • Is it possible to intentionally delay the visa grant until the wedding is over and I will have added my wife to the application? I'm a bit worried that as I am from a low-risk country, the grant will come quicker than I expect, so I will miss the chance of adding my then-wife. Will the CO understand if I write to him/her and explain the situation?

I could of course just wait until January until I submit my EOI. The downside of this would be that I run the risk of not receiving an invitation at all if for some reason the point requirement goes back to 70, because I'll lose 5 points due to age next March. So I would rather update my EOI sooner than later.

I am quite confused right now, so - as I said - I would be very thankful for your help.

Thank you!
u should declare u relationship status by the time of EOI ...
u may add her as defacto partner to ur visa application if u can prove ur relationship is genuine and continues...
don?t delay it and apply as soon as u can ...

·
Registered
108 Posts
If you're serious about this relationship then why not get a marriage certificate now? The wedding can be anytime.

·
Registered
458 Posts
If you're serious about this relationship then why not get a marriage certificate now? The wedding can be anytime.
Is it possible to get marriage certificate before marriage? In India its not..just curious

·
Registered
23,838 Posts
Is it possible to get marriage certificate before marriage? In India its not..just curious
You can always do a court marriage immediately in India also
The traditional marriage can be done later

Cheers

·
Registered
108 Posts
The marriage certificate is about the law.
The wedding is about tradition / culture.

I signed my marriage certificate about 4 months before the wedding because we need to buy a house and we want to have co-ownership.

Anw, it depends on your culture.

·
Registered
321 Posts
There is no difference are you married or no.
Because if you are married less then 12 monthes still you will have to prove your relationship with same set of documents as if you declare her as de-facto.
Now you can apply as de-facto or engaged. You can update your application any time after wedding but it may happen that by the beginning of the next year you will alrrady have visa.
If you can prove that you live together more than 12 monthes by now better dont delay it. You never know how rules will change tomorrow.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Some people (we also) delay wedding. They may think that you are getting married just to get the visa for the parner.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Some people (we also) delay wedding. They may think that you are getting married just to get the visa for the parner.
Yes, my friend did. He had to wait until the visa is granted completely to do his wedding, and then apply for his wife another visa.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Hi everyone,

Thank you! :)
I was in a similar boat. My girlfriend and I decided to get married after I received my visa for Australia. We got married before I came to Australia and got new passports issued with each others name on it (Added Spouse Name in our respective passports). Got the marriage certificate and filled up "Change in circumstances" form and submitted it with a copy of new passports and the marriage certificate.
I was on my toes until I received an email from DIBP a couple weeks later saying that "Your information has been updated in our system".
You can put down your status in the application as "Engaged" and later change it to "Married" whenever you get married.
P.S. Make sure you provide proof of your relationship (Travel Records, Lease Agreement, Call Records, Photographs, etc.) while applying for your visa as CO will most probably ask for these later.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks to everybody for the answers.

In my case, it's not possible due to German bureaucracy (i.e. waiting times).

I was in a similar boat. My girlfriend and I decided to get married after I received my visa for Australia. We got married before I came to Australia and got new passports issued with each others name on it (Added Spouse Name in our respective passports). Got the marriage certificate and filled up "Change in circumstances" form and submitted it with a copy of new passports and the marriage certificate.
I was on my toes until I received an email from DIBP a couple weeks later saying that "Your information has been updated in our system".
You can put down your status in the application as "Engaged" and later change it to "Married" whenever you get married.
P.S. Make sure you provide proof of your relationship (Travel Records, Lease Agreement, Call Records, Photographs, etc.) while applying for your visa as CO will most probably ask for these later.
I have all the proof, that should not be a problem. Do I understand correctly that you got married after the visa grant and before first entry, and DIBP accepted it? I thought that was not possible.

I guess my main question is:
When I tell the CO that I am about to get married, will he/she wait with the grant?
I've heard this is the case when the wife is pregnant, i.e. that they wait until the baby is born.

Do you, or anybody, have any insights on this?

·
Registered
321 Posts
When wife is pregnant people are waiting to include newborn baby in their application. Otherwise it is whole story 1 year length to get separate visa fir kid.
In your case its not necessary.
If you include your girfriend in your application as de-facto or fiance, you both will get permanent visa with same rights

·
Registered
321 Posts
You can get married any time - before grant, after grant, before first entry, after first entry...
I am dependant. I was claimed as "de facto partner". There are no problems with that

·
Registered
275 Posts
You can get married any time - before grant, after grant, before first entry, after first entry...
I am dependant. I was claimed as "de facto partner". There are no problems with that
I think he is worried if he will have to apply for 820, 801 for his partner after grant (it's is an expensive visa).

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think he is worried if he will have to apply for 820, 801 for his partner after grant (it's is an expensive visa).

Should I be worried?
If I understand Ola.V and vjsharma89 correctly, I can add my girlfriend as fianceé in the beginning and just submit the marriage certificate at any point of the visa process - even after the grant.

·
Registered
23,838 Posts
Should I be worried?
If I understand Ola.V and vjsharma89 correctly, I can add my girlfriend as fianceé in the beginning and just submit the marriage certificate at any point of the visa process - even after the grant.
Evidences have to be submitted during the processing of the application.

The CO will ask you for evidence and will generally give you 28 days to provide the same.
At what point he will ask depends on his wisdom
If you cannot provide the same within that period, you have to get back to him and request for extension giving credible reasons why you are unable to provide the evidence

Cheers

·
Registered
275 Posts
Should I be worried?
Check newbienzs reply.
I have read people adding their spouses during the visa the process and it works and CO asks for documents, however as far as I know once you get a grant you will have to apply for separate spouse visa(You cannot add).

·
Registered
157 Posts
Thanks to everybody for the answers.

In my case, it's not possible due to German bureaucracy (i.e. waiting times).

I have all the proof, that should not be a problem. Do I understand correctly that you got married after the visa grant and before first entry, and DIBP accepted it? I thought that was not possible.

I guess my main question is:
When I tell the CO that I am about to get married, will he/she wait with the grant?
I've heard this is the case when the wife is pregnant, i.e. that they wait until the baby is born.

Do you, or anybody, have any insights on this?
Yes, I got married after the Visa Grant and before first entry. I submitted the documents (new passports' copy, marriage certificate, proof of relationship) along with "Change in Circumstances" form. Addition of Spouse name in your passport is one of the most credible documents.
DIBP accepted it without any problem(s).
One difference is that she wasn't even part of my application. I should have put her name in the application as my fiancee' but I don't why I didn't do that. May be I wasn't sure that we were going to get married soon.
I think if you include her in your application as your fiancee', let the CO know that you plan to get married soon and later change your status to "married", you'll be fine.

Reactions: Rizwan.Qamar

·
Registered
321 Posts
Yes. You can add your girlfriend from the beginning. You will have to provide evidences that you are together more then 12 months. Apart of that you can upload your marriage certificate whenever you get it.
You DO NOT have to apply for any another kind of visa for your girlfriend. She will get PR along with you

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks again, everybody. I just submitted a new EOI with 70 points, I set my relationship status to "Engaged".

Keeping my fingers crossed for next round :fingerscrossed:

Good luck, everyone!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts