Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After months of planning we are now in Spain.:)

Currently renting an apartment in Orihuela Costa for a few months, before deciding whether or not Spain is for us long-term. It's not where we want to settle but it's a good place to explore from, and we were very lucky to find a long term let (as others have said, there is very little about). Purely by chance and coincidence we found a nice apartment with no deposit and no minimum term.

My car insurance runs out this month and I am looking for recommendations. The car is UK registered and I don't plan to re-register it unless we decide to settle in Spain full time. Are there any comparison sites (in English) or recommended brokers? Thanks.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I appreciate that, but we have 6 months in which to transfer the car to Spanish plates. I don't want to do that yet as we are not certain that we will be settling long term. This is a "try before you buy" period. I would ideally like to keey the car on UK plates (but insured in Spain) for a few months.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Your UK insurance company should cover you then. They don't all have a time restriction. If it's only six months you should be ok. Otherwise someone like IBEX might insure you but be careful as if you have a crash and need medical treatment you're only covered for a very small amount. It might be cheaper to hire a car for a month at a time as long term rental works out expensive. Unfortunately you can't have your cake and eat it. You're either here or you're not, basically.

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
It is possible to get your UK Registered car insured in Spain - I believe the Motor Insurer to check out is Liberty Seguros.

Although the only situation where I would do it - is if your current UK motor insurance is about to expire before you have time to transfer to Spanish plates.

The bind with British motor insurance when your traveling abroad - outside the UK is that they will only ever cover you on fully comprehensive insurance for the first 30 days abroad whether it's in Spain or anywhere else. As by default your UK motor insurance abroad is for holiday motoring and not for moving or expating abroad.
After 30 days your automatically downgraded to third party, fire & theft and it will only cover you for the remaining
5 months outside the UK, even if you have many more months to go your annual motor insurance, so watch out !!

Also you will almost certainly be left with a far bigger motor insurance bill by doing a renewal ( always a year,
no cheap rate 6 month quotes ) on UK plates for 6 months and then having to renew your motor insurance
again ( for a year ), following the move to Spanish plates.

Finally beware - there's a lot of paper chasing like the certificate of conformity, etc, etc and paper work
which can eat into those spare months before converting to Spanish plates.

To pre-book an appointment online at the local ITV Centre, you have to do it at least 6 months in advance,
otherwise your getting up at 4 o'clock in the morning, to queue for an ITV test slot on the day - as soon
as the ITV centre opens about 6am. They will usually send an SMS message to your mobile when a slot
becomes available during the day.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I appreciate that, but we have 6 months in which to transfer the car to Spanish plates. I don't want to do that yet as we are not certain that we will be settling long term. This is a "try before you buy" period. I would ideally like to keey the car on UK plates (but insured in Spain) for a few months.
Are you planning to live in Spain for 6 months?

If so, Royal Decree 240/07 requires that all EU citizens planning to reside in Spain for more than 3 months should register in person at the Oficina de Extranjeros in their province of residence

Once you have registered as resident on the Registro de Extranjeros, you cannot drive a foreign plated vehicle anymore, unless it is owned by a non-resident and the owner is with you in the car.

So to suggest that you have 6 months in which to transfer the car to Spanish plates is something of a misnomer!

·
Registered
4,959 Posts

If so, Royal Decree 240/07 requires that all EU citizens planning to reside in Spain for more than 3 months should register in person at the Oficina de Extranjeros in their province of residence

Once you have registered as resident on the Registro de Extranjeros, you cannot drive a foreign plated vehicle anymore, unless it is owned by a non-resident and the owner is with you in the car.

So to suggest that you have 6 months in which to transfer the car to Spanish plates is something of a misnomer!
Perhaps he does the 'border hop' if only to and from Gib to keep himself non-resident ?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Perhaps he does the 'border hop' if only to and from Gib to keep himself non-resident ?
I've been in Spain for less than 3 weeks so a long way from that possibility yet. I get 90 days European cover with my current UK insurer but it will need to be renewed in a couple of weeks, and I no longer have a UK address so that might be a problem.

·
Registered
17,566 Posts

They get the "6 months" by extrapolation = 3 months to register on the foreigners list and then three months to re-register a foreign vehicle.

·
Registered
123 Posts
They get the "6 months" by extrapolation = 3 months to register on the foreigners list and then three months to re-register a foreign vehicle.
You may have 3 months to register the vehicle, but once you have registered on the Registro de Extranjeros, you cannot drive a foreign plated vehicle anymore, unless it is owned by a non-resident and the owner is with you in the car.

You may have to rework "your extrapolation"!!

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
You may have 3 months to register the vehicle, but once you have registered on the Registro de Extranjeros, you cannot drive a foreign plated vehicle anymore, unless it is owned by a non-resident and the owner is with you in the car.

You may have to rework "your extrapolation"!!
Sorry but YOU are wrong. One has three months to register a foreign vehicle AFTER registering as a resident which is where people get the mistaken idea that they have six months to re-register the vehicle. If they register as a resident within one month they have only four months from arrival to re-register the vehicle.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Sorry but YOU are wrong. One has three months to register a foreign vehicle AFTER registering as a resident which is where people get the mistaken idea that they have six months to re-register the vehicle. If they register as a resident within one month they have only four months from arrival to re-register the vehicle.
But you're missing the point. Once you have registered on the Registro de Extranjeros, you cannot drive a foreign plated vehicle anymore, unless it is owned by a non-resident and the owner is with you in the car.

So if you plan to live in Spain for more than 3 months then you are required to obtain your Certificado of Residencia. Once you have obtained your certificate, then the time frame allowed is just 30 days (NOT 3 MONTHS) and you will have to pay the Matriculation (registration) Taxes of up to 16% of the cars Spanish Fiscal Book Value.

So I fear it is you that has got it WRONG!!

·
Administrator
36,519 Posts
But you're missing the point. Once you have registered on the Registro de Extranjeros, you cannot drive a foreign plated vehicle anymore, unless it is owned by a non-resident and the owner is with you in the car.

So if you plan to live in Spain for more than 3 months then you are required to obtain your Certificado of Residencia. Once you have obtained your certificate, then the time frame allowed is just 30 days (NOT 3 MONTHS) and you will have to pay the Matriculation (registration) Taxes of up to 16% of the cars Spanish Fiscal Book Value.

I believe that you are allowed to drive the car as long as the rematriculation is in process

·
Registered
6,024 Posts
Actually, I think you're both wrong.

I think the law changed and you now only have 1 month before matriculating a vehicle once resident.

Worth looking at dgt.es or n332.es

·
Registered
439 Posts

I think the law changed and you now only have 1 month before matriculating a vehicle once resident.

This is correct as technically a foreign car is being imported and this must be done within 30 days.

N332 cleared this up recently as a lot of people have old/ incorrect information.

·
Banned
1,832 Posts

Once resident !
So as Tom is not yet a resident & has only been here a little while ................ ;)

·
Registered
4,037 Posts

You are correct in that it cannot be driven once registered ,but incorrect that you can with the owner.
I had it all out with the EU & it is a simple " a resident cannot drive a foreign registered vehicle. " At all.
Only exception is 'professional drivers' & car hire employee's returning cross border rentals.

·
Registered
123 Posts
You are correct in that it cannot be driven once registered ,but incorrect that you can with the owner.
I had it all out with the EU & it is a simple " a resident cannot drive a foreign registered vehicle. " At all.
Only exception is 'professional drivers' & car hire employee's returning cross border rentals.
I have "cut and pasted" this from http://europa.eu.......which was Updated : 12/06/2017

"If you're staying in another EU country for less than 6 months and haven't registered your car there, you may not legally lend or rent your car to a resident of that country, who may only drive your car if you are in the car with him/her."

I have no idea on the varacity of this website.....but it easy to see how confusion may arise!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts