Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
It might seem amazing, but a lot depends on your level of French! If it's not so good and you don't understand the details of French insurance then go to a high street agency or your bank. It might not be the cheapest, but you will avoid nasty surprises of shopping around on the internet. Medical insurance in particular is complex, with lots of (potenially useful) add ons for the expensive, bare bones for the cheapest. For example after a hospital stay my wife's medical insurance pays for a home help for 3 weeks. I'm with CIC which does not reimburse kiné.

DejW

·
Administrator
50,434 Posts
The medical insurance depends on whether you need private cover or if you're looking for a French mutuelle (i.e. top up for the French national system - the sécu).

But for the house and contents cover, I'd at least speak to your bank first. They may or may not be the cheapest (though some banks do try to meet any quote you get elsewhere), but for the first year, they can be the quickest and easiest. Once you have a little experience and some time to look around a bit, you can always change insurers.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
You do not say what type of medical insurance you want.If you need full coverage then I would suggest a UK firm called medibroker International health insurance made simple | Medibroker they offer a range of policies for expats.However as an EU national you can apply to join the French Health system after you have lived in France for 3 months and have a household income of at least €9601 pa.Then you will pay 8% of your income above that figure plus "top up" insurance

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
You do not say what type of medical insurance you want, top up for the French health system or full cover. Both are likely to depend on your age at joining, full cover premiums would also likely be influenced by your health histories. Premiums would also both depend on the cover you are looking for, from best available to basic. For private health cover, you could do a search for international health insurance - premiums vary greatly and what you come up with would still be subject to current conditions and health history. Top up cover in France generally only takes into account your age, not your health history/status - variation is probably from around 60 euros p.m. to around 150 euros p.m.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
To be honest, I am not sure what I need, I will be moving from the UK to France, am I entitled to anything! or do I need full cover, I do have the European EHIC card.
I am 55 and my wife is 52, both in good health.
Another question, is the healthcare insurance a legality in France or can I just not have it al all.

Thanks

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
To be honest, I am not sure what I need, I will be moving from the UK to France, am I entitled to anything! or do I need full cover, I do have the European EHIC card.
I am 55 and my wife is 52, both in good health.
Another question, is the healthcare insurance a legality in France or can I just not have it al all.

Thanks
You will need full cover initially. Health cover is a legal requirement in France, although I don't think they police it, but you could encounter significant issues, both financial and legal, if either of you encounter a significant health issue. The EHIC isn't supposed to apply to residents. The alternative might be to take trips back to the UK for your health care?

·
Registered
737 Posts
be quite clear , once you are a french resident and registered for taxes you cannot use a UK EHIC ; you will show up on the UK records as french resident and they will refuse all reimbousement

when you arrive at the age to receive a uk state retirement pension then the uk will take over responsibility for your health care and will pay the proportion of your costs in france that french people receive ...also you will be entitled to an EHIC from the UK

1 - 10 of 10 Posts