Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear All,
I am an Australian citizen and planning to get married in a few months time frame.
My partner is an Indian citizen and since she is in India, I am applying for an offshore partner visa.
My plan is to lodge an offshore visa file and then bring her over here under my sponsorship visa so we can travel together post wedding. I have hired visa consultant in India but not finding them very effective.
Could you please guide me with below queries?

Form 888: As per my visa consultant - "We need 2 witnesses from Australia who confirm your marriage. Witness must be PR or Australian Citizen. It should be authorized by JP (Justice of Piece)".

My queries:
The form 888 just has option for 1 witness only. Do I need 2 separate Form 888 to fill?
The form mentions other authorities in addition to JP who can authorised this. Does it need to JP only now?
Is this form must be submitted BEFORE application (as prerequisite) or can be submitted AFTER lodging the application? (I am planning to lodge application from India while I go for my wedding. I will not be available in person to co-ordinate this in Australia)
Can this be managed between my witness and JP or my presence is required at the time of signature?
Can this form be filled BEFORE marriage while I am in Australia (as prospective marriage) or it must be AFTER marriage only?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
25,757 Posts
Dear All,
I am an Australian citizen and planning to get married in a few months time frame.
My partner is an Indian citizen and since she is in India, I am applying for an offshore partner visa.
My plan is to lodge an offshore visa file and then bring her over here under my sponsorship visa so we can travel together post wedding. I have hired visa consultant in India but not finding them very effective.
Could you please guide me with below queries?

Form 888: As per my visa consultant - "We need 2 witnesses from Australia who confirm your marriage. Witness must be PR or Australian Citizen. It should be authorized by JP (Justice of Piece)".

My queries:
The form 888 just has option for 1 witness only. Do I need 2 separate Form 888 to fill?
The form mentions other authorities in addition to JP who can authorised this. Does it need to JP only now?
Is this form must be submitted BEFORE application (as prerequisite) or can be submitted AFTER lodging the application? (I am planning to lodge application from India while I go for my wedding. I will not be available in person to co-ordinate this in Australia)
Can this be managed between my witness and JP or my presence is required at the time of signature?
Can this form be filled BEFORE marriage while I am in Australia (as prospective marriage) or it must be AFTER marriage only?

Thanks in advance.
The Indian visa consultant probably have never dealt with a marriage visa application
It would be best to go through an Australia based Mara agent who has experience of such applications
You don’t want to goof up the process and regret
Cheers

1 - 2 of 2 Posts