Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys! I am really really glad to find this forum. I don't want to get you tired with many things so I am about to tell you my story in the short run, and I would kindly like your opinions regarding my issue.

I am a BSc(hons) Engineering Geologist from the University of Athens, Greece, specialized in Geotechnical Engineering and I have almost 5yrs of professional experience in this field. In addition,in a couple of years from now I am about to graduate from the National Technical University of Athens as a Mining & Metallurgical Engineer (5yrs academic degree = BSc & integrated MSc) with specialization in Geoengineering & Metallurgy, at the same time to my professional activity.

However, after some serious thoughts, I decided to leave Greece,search for a job,and settle,abroad. Since one of my top choices as a country to settle and live is Australia, for countless reasons, I would like to ask you a couple of questions regarding of how greek people and greek scientist and engineers are considered there.

My first inquiry is about the possibility of getting geology or an engineering job before immigrating there (via internet,skype etc), and without having to attend a MSc at an australian university in order to be seen more favorable from a possible employer? Are greek science and engineering degrees recognized and respected in Australia?
My second inquiry is about the job market in Australia regarding geotechnical engineering,mining engineering, metallurgical engineering, and geology? Good - bad prospects?
3) Do I require to take any professional engineering examination when I come there, and, does this change the way employers consider my resume and application, instead of just apply for a job without having this?

Thank you very much in advance for your opinions and for the kindness to reply to my post. Wish you all a wonderful day!

George

·
Registered
458 Posts
Hello guys! I am really really glad to find this forum. I don't want to get you tired with many things so I am about to tell you my story in the short run, and I would kindly like your opinions regarding my issue.

I am a BSc(hons) Engineering Geologist from the University of Athens, Greece, specialized in Geotechnical Engineering and I have almost 5yrs of professional experience in this field. In addition,in a couple of years from now I am about to graduate from the National Technical University of Athens as a Mining & Metallurgical Engineer (5yrs academic degree = BSc & integrated MSc) with specialization in Geoengineering & Metallurgy, at the same time to my professional activity.

However, after some serious thoughts, I decided to leave Greece,search for a job,and settle,abroad. Since one of my top choices as a country to settle and live is Australia, for countless reasons, I would like to ask you a couple of questions regarding of how greek people and greek scientist and engineers are considered there.

My first inquiry is about the possibility of getting geology or an engineering job before immigrating there (via internet,skype etc), and without having to attend a MSc at an australian university in order to be seen more favorable from a possible employer? Are greek science and engineering degrees recognized and respected in Australia?
My second inquiry is about the job market in Australia regarding geotechnical engineering,mining engineering, metallurgical engineering, and geology? Good - bad prospects?
3) Do I require to take any professional engineering examination when I come there, and, does this change the way employers consider my resume and application, instead of just apply for a job without having this?

Thank you very much in advance for your opinions and for the kindness to reply to my post. Wish you all a wonderful day!

George
possibility of getting geology or an engineering job before immigrating there
Possible but very tough, I tried and got rejected because of one reason - no working rights. Atleast I got to know that I will definitely get a job after getting PR.
Employer should be willing to sponsor for you or you can apply PR

job market in Australia regarding geotechnical engineering,mining engineering, metallurgical engineering, and geology
No idea about this market. Only seniors can reply to this. Try Seek and other job portals

Do I require to take any professional engineering examination when I come there, and, does this change the way employers consider my resume and application, instead of just apply for a job without having this

Depends on your skills. If you are on top of your league then no Engineering degree is required.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much Anamica23. Should I have working rights then is it going to be fine? No problem with my international degrees from Greece (for instance compared with those from australian universities?

An one more thing. What exactly is PR?

·
Registered
458 Posts
Thank you very much Anamica23. Should I have working rights then is it going to be fine? No problem with my international degrees from Greece (for instance compared with those from australian universities?

An one more thing. What exactly is PR?
PR - Permanent Residency .

Please go through below and you will understand:

http://www.expatforum.com/expats/au...-australia-what-you-need-know-read-first.html

http://www.expatforum.com/expats/au...-190-sol-csol-what-1st-thing-i-should-do.html

1 - 4 of 4 Posts