Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning to reallocate myself in Adelaide at the beginning of next year.

Can anyone tell me what are the govt. financial benefits I can avail immediately after reaching there?

My wife and my 2 years old son going to join me some months later once I secure a job and manage to get a house and a car.

So, in order to make a plan for the rainy initial days...I need to know what minimum amount I should take for myself...which depends on the different types of govt. financial benefits that I can get...

Anyone please???

·
Registered
3,427 Posts

You usually have to wait 104 weeks (the Newly Arrived Resident's Waiting Period) before you can access most payments and benefits.

This waiting period doesn’t apply to family assistance payments. Refer to the following link for more details.

REF: Newly Arrived Resident's Waiting Period

Can anyone tell me what are the govt. financial benefits I can avail immediately after reaching there?

My wife and my 2 years old son going to join me some months later once I secure a job and manage to get a house and a car.

So, in order to make a plan for the rainy initial days...I need to know what minimum amount I should take for myself...which depends on the different types of govt. financial benefits that I can get...

Anyone please???

Reactions: Hassan_001

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
80 Posts
Just for info, 104 weeks is equivalent to 2 years.

Anyways, Jeeten, what are some samples of "This waiting period doesn’t apply to family assistance payments." that newly arrived PR's can benefit?

You usually have to wait 104 weeks (the Newly Arrived Resident's Waiting Period) before you can access most payments and benefits.

This waiting period doesn’t apply to family assistance payments. Refer to the following link for more details.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts

We ALL know our maths zector :).

For specifics read through the links shared.

Just for info, 104 weeks is equivalent to 2 years.

Anyways, Jeeten, what are some samples of "This waiting period doesn’t apply to family assistance payments." that newly arrived PR's can benefit?

·
Super Moderator
1,721 Posts
Huhhhh?? Why on earth you think government starts making payments to PR holders on their arrival??

Even if got family benefits that's not enough for 'rainy initial days'. To add, government has already announced some changes for family benefits which we will get to know soon.

Sorry if it's disappointing but please come prepare, don't rely on these payments at all. You have to pass all eligibility criteria to get any sorts of payment after 102 weeks.

Girl Aussie

Anyone please???

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hahaha yeah :)
Just wanted to save you guys a few seconds :p

Thanks for the link!
Bookmarked! :D

We ALL know our maths zector :).

For specifics read through the links shared.

·
Registered
165 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Yes , but need to have an income to claim this .
I don't think that is true unlessthe rules have been changed. I lodged an application for family tax benefits 3 days after arriving in March 2013 and I did not have a job as yet. It took them around 4 weeks to process and I started receiving monies in my account by the second week of April.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I don't think that is true unlessthe rules have been changed. I lodged an application for family tax benefits 3 days after arriving in March 2013 and I did not have a job as yet. It took them around 4 weeks to process and I started receiving monies in my account by the second week of April.
When I visited the website and checked for eligibility , it was asking questions related to income.

·
Registered
123 Posts
When I visited the website and checked for eligibility , it was asking questions related to income.
Well that does not imply that you need to have income. They asked you how much income you have as the benefit is inversely proportional to your income. I.e. No income larger benefit.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Well that does not imply that you need to have income. They asked you how much income you have as the benefit is inversely proportional to your income. I.e. No income larger benefit.
Ok thanks, I will apply after my wife & daughter reach here. Right now I am alone in Sydney & searching jobs.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Well , I applied in Oct 2014 with 0 income . In the end of Nov 2014 I got a call from centerlink asking my income. It was the person approving my claim , she told she cannot proceed further without income.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So, all the benefits can be availed once you're staying with your family...right??
Is there anything that you can have when you're jobless and staying without family?

·
Registered
460 Posts
So, all the benefits can be availed once you're staying with your family...right??
Is there anything that you can have when you're jobless and staying without family?
Your are not eligible for anything in that situation. The expectation is that you will be able to support yourself for two years either through funds you bring you or by working any job possible until you find your feet. You cannot claim anything as a single person with no children with you

1 - 17 of 17 Posts