Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I received my 189 on 8th May and have a couple of questions to help me decide on the initial entry -

1} Which is the best way to do it - should I do it as soon as possible or give it some time? If the plan is to move after a few months, is it best to initial entry right away ? Or is there any advantage in waiting for a couple of months - I am asking this because residency starts from initial entry. There can be a couple of scenarios here

a} Do initial entry right away and hence residency starts. Making move after few months means those many days are spent offshore.

b} Do it after a couple of months - with this when you move may be a month or so after initial entry, so you would have spent less time offshore.

Which is the best way to do it ?

2} What are the formalities involved here ? I have read other threads which said that we just need to enter. So if I go to Sydney for 4 days is that enough?

What documents should I have with me ?

3} Has anyone here taken flight from Bangalore ? I am asking this because the visa is e visa. The staff at Bangalore airport know this right, I mean we don't need a label for this ?

4} How is the manly area for a four day stay ? I am going in as a tourist so my priorities would be close to public transport connecting to airport and main parts of the city. Also is it a good locality to go as a tourist.

How far is the public transport from the beach here ?

Thank you

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Hi XWQ,

1.) If you plan to migrate permanently before the "Must make first entry to Australia before" date in your grant notification, then I would just wait. In my opinion, flying to Australia to validate the visa would just be a waste of money in that case. Most people do it because they plan to stay in their home country much longer than the "latest first entry" date (e.g. because they are expecting a new baby or do not want to quit their job straightaway), so they have no other choice.

Only time you actually spend in Australia counts towards the residency requirement for citizenship, so if you fly back to India after the validation trip, that won't give you any advantage.

2.) There is no minimum stay requirement to validate the visa. You just have to go through the immigration booth at the airport. In theory, you could take the next fight back but most combine it with a short holiday. Bring a print-out of the grant notification and your passport. They have all your data electronically but the grant letter can come in handy if they have to verify something.

3.) I have no experience with Bangalore airport, specifically. Some airports/airlines are still a bit stupid about dealing with electronic visas. Note that you have to pay for the stamp if you want it.

4.) Manly is one of my favourite areas of Sydney :). Not too much to see, but they have some nice brewery pubs (beer tasting, nom) and it's much more relaxed than Bondi as far as the city beaches go. You'll need to take the ferry to get into the city, though. I would probably plan it the other way round and stay in one of the inner city suburb, then take the ferry for a day trip to Manly or the train/bus to Bondi. That gives you more options to explore the city on foot.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi XWQ,

1.) If you plan to migrate permanently before the "Must make first entry to Australia before" date in your grant notification, then I would just wait. In my opinion, flying to Australia to validate the visa would just be a waste of money in that case. Most people do it because they plan to stay in their home country much longer than the "latest first entry" date (e.g. because they are expecting a new baby or do not want to quit their job straightaway), so they have no other choice.

Only time you actually spend in Australia counts towards the residency requirement for citizenship, so if you fly back to India after the validation trip, that won't give you any advantage.

2.) There is no minimum stay requirement to validate the visa. You just have to go through the immigration booth at the airport. In theory, you could take the next fight back but most combine it with a short holiday. Bring a print-out of the grant notification and your passport. They have all your data electronically but the grant letter can come in handy if they have to verify something.

3.) I have no experience with Bangalore airport, specifically. Some airports/airlines are still a bit stupid about dealing with electronic visas. Note that you have to pay for the stamp if you want it.

4.) Manly is one of my favourite areas of Sydney :). Not too much to see, but they have some nice brewery pubs (beer tasting, nom) and it's much more relaxed than Bondi as far as the city beaches go. You'll need to take the ferry to get into the city, though. I would probably plan it the other way round and stay in one of the inner city suburb, then take the ferry for a day trip to Manly or the train/bus to Bondi. That gives you more options to explore the city on foot.
Hi espresso,

Thank you for the prompt reply. I just had a couple of question on the reply:

1} Do you know how to get the label ?

2} Is it possible to reach manly area by public transport like train or something from Airport and city centre ? Or is it only by Ferry ? I checked a few budget hotels there as I prefer single rooms to dorms that are less expensive and closer to city centre.

I was thinking of booking a room and getting around from there. It looks like a very nice and quiet area in pictures and beach looks great.

Thank you

·
Super Moderator
3,447 Posts
Hi espresso,

Thank you for the prompt reply. I just had a couple of question on the reply:

1} Do you know how to get the label ?

2} Is it possible to reach manly area by public transport like train or something from Airport and city centre ? Or is it only by Ferry ? I checked a few budget hotels there as I prefer single rooms to dorms that are less expensive and closer to city centre.

I was thinking of booking a room and getting around from there. It looks like a very nice and quiet area in pictures and beach looks great.

Thank you
1. The label is $150. You need to contact the consulate or visa processing service for your area to obtain it.

2. There are numerous buses that go from Manly into the CBD. Check sydneybuses.info for information. There is no train to Manly.

·
Registered
837 Posts
You can show your grant visa printout to Bangalore airport authorities.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts